Different modifiers per channel? Or are they global to that block per preset?

JTI

Power User
Am I understanding this correctly? If I copy a block from one channel to another; the modifiers carry over to the copied block and I can't change them? Trying to do some "fun" stuff with the mixer block and I want an expression pedal to control the individual gain levels on a couple of scenes, but on others; I want to use a different Mixer channel and control the gain levels by setting them to a fixed value manually. Seems like if I change/remove the modifiers on the copied channel; it changes them on the original channel as well.

You have two options:

1) apply the modifier to ALL channels

2) apply the modifier to a specific channel only. But: this can be selected only once, per parameter.

You have two options:

2) apply the modifier to a specific channel only. But: this can be selected only once, per parameter.
Thanks! I'll dig into this next time I am in front of the FM.

If the Scene Controller knobs themselves were opened to modifiers, you could attach an expression pedal (or LFO, Envelope, Pitch controller, Control Switch, etc..), all with their own set ranges, to specific scenes.

Tested this out with Axe-Edit III 1.06.01 (the accidental 'almost everything open to modifiers' release) and works great.

You have two options:

So what's the procedure for this? I cleared the modifiers from the Mixer block on Channel A, then copied the A channel to the D channel. I applied modifiers to the D channel; but it did the same thing described in my original post. I am trying to use an expression pedal to fade the individual gain parameters on 3 scenes out of 4. On the 4th scene; I want to set the gain levels to a static value. Apologies if I am missing something obvious.

Here is an example using LFO-1 as the source just to illustrate one possibility.

Click on the Mixer block in the editor and then go through scenes 1 thru 4 and watch what's going on.
  1. Scene 1/channel A - Row 1 under control, all others fixed at any value that you wish.
  2. Scene 2/channel B - Row 2 under control, all others fixed at any value that you wish.
  3. Scene 3/channel C - Row 3 under control, all others fixed at any value that you wish.
  4. Scene 4/channel D - All rows fixed at any value that you wish.

Attachments

• Per-channel mixer control test.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Here is an example using LFO-1 as the source just to illustrate one possibility.

Click on the Mixer block in the editor and then go through scenes 1 thru 4 and watch what's going on.
  1. Scene 1/channel A - Row 1 under control, all others fixed at any value that you wish.
  2. Scene 2/channel B - Row 2 under control, all others fixed at any value that you wish.
  3. Scene 3/channel C - Row 3 under control, all others fixed at any value that you wish.
  4. Scene 4/channel D - All rows fixed at any value that you wish.
Thank you sir! I'll get a chance to convert and load this up later this evening or tomorrow.

Edited my post.. The current preset example in my post is for the FM3.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTI
Edited my post.. The current preset example in my post is for the FM3.
Thanks Moke. I loaded your block up and saw where you can select the channel you are wanting the modifier to apply to. That helped tremendously o_O:D

I ended up saving your block to copy some LFO control ideas. Some neat controller ideas in there for sure! I set up the Mixer block with separate channels for one static scene than the rest and it is working as it should now. Well; visually at least. I will connect my guitar tomorrow and give it a run through just to make sure. Thanks again!

@JiveTurkey you don't assign a modifier to a channel, you assign it to a block that affects the whole preset. So "switching to channel D and assigning the modifier" is the same as assigning is on Channel A, you've just assigned a modifier to the Mixer block.

But what you can do is in the modifier setup screen, choose to either have the modifier affect all channels or just one.

So BLOCK's control get Modifier. Modifier affects ONE or ALL channels for that control. You can use different modifiers affecting different channels for different knobs.

So you could put your expression pedal on a modifier affecting one knob just on channel a, and another modifier for another knob that's only on channel b, then channel C and D are just fixed.

So going through this a bit more; I can't control the same parameters (in different blocks) using different controllers? On channel A; I control mixer block gain on row 1 and 2 with my expression pedal but I can't control those same parameters on channel D using, say Control Switch 3?

If I could assign a control switch AND channel switching to a single footswitch on the FM; that would be ideal.

Last edited:
So going through this a bit more; I can't control the same parameters (in different blocks) using different controllers? On channel A; I control mixer block gain on row 1 and 2 with my expression pedal but I can't control those same parameters on channel D using, say Control Switch 3?

If I could assign a control switch AND channel switching to a single footswitch on the FM; that would be ideal.

I think you mean "in different channels"? Different blocks have separate modifiers and can be set up to be different or the same as other blocks.

But you're right that modifiers within one block have limitations with how they work accross channels. They can modify the same control on all channels, or just one channel. But you can't set a modifier to control 2 or 3 channels, and you can't assign multiple modifiers to the same control even if it's on an uncontrolled channel.

There are a couple wishes for this:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-or-per-channel-as-well-as-per-preset.162929/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nel-within-block-instead-of-per-block.152311/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/separate-modifiers-per-channel-within-a-block.151650/

I think you mean "in different channels"? Different blocks have separate modifiers and can be set up to be different or the same as other blocks.

But you're right that modifiers within one block have limitations with how they work accross channels. They can modify the same control on all channels, or just one channel. But you can't set a modifier to control 2 or 3 channels, and you can't assign multiple modifiers to the same control even if it's on an uncontrolled channel.

There are a couple wishes for this:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-or-per-channel-as-well-as-per-preset.162929/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nel-within-block-instead-of-per-block.152311/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/separate-modifiers-per-channel-within-a-block.151650/
What I mean is I want to control say, a mix parameter. On one channel of that block; I want to control the mix parameter with an expression pedal. On another channel of that block; I want to control the mix parameter with Control Switch assigned to FS3 on the FM itself.

See also this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...els-with-a-single-switch.163777/#post-1963403

What I mean is I want to control say, a mix parameter. On one channel of that block; I want to control the mix parameter with an expression pedal. On another channel of that block; I want to control the mix parameter with Control Switch assigned to FS3 on the FM itself.

See also this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...els-with-a-single-switch.163777/#post-1963403

Unfortunately both Expression pedals, External pedals, control switches, and every other modifier input still has to be assigned with a modifier. And you can still only assign one modifier per block control. So you can configure your knobs to be controlled via expression pedal, or Control Switch, but not both at the same time (even on different channels).

1595354918780.png

You could maybe have two mixers in parallel, with Bypass mode set to MUTE, then you can assign your CS to one and your Pedal to the other, and mute/unmute accordingly between scenes.

Like this:
1595355111801.png

Only the Mixed doesn't appear to have a bypass mode. But you could do this:

Mixer 1 Channel A: Control with Pedal 1
Mixer1 Channel B: no modifiers, all Gain at 0%
Mixer 2 Channel A: all gain 0%, no modifiers
Mixer 2 Channel B: CS modifiers

Scene 1: Mixer 1 channel A, Mixer 2 Channel A // Pedal controls, Mixer 2 is muted
Scene 2: Mixer 1 Channel B Mixer 2 Channel B // CS controls, mixer 1 is muted.

ee50XGx.jpg

Without belaboring my "point(s)"; allow me to belabor my points :)

FS1 on the FM is assigned as Control Switch 2
FS2 on the FM is assigned to Control Switch 1
Expression Pedal is plugged into pedal 2 input
I want FS3 to change Cab, Mixer, In2 and Multidelay channels.

I am assuming one channel can be "On" while another channel of the same block can be set to "Off"? What I am ultimately trying to avoid is switching gap between scenes. I know channels can introduce a gap but I think that gap will be much more manageable than doing it via scene switching.

I want FS3 to change Cab, Mixer, In2 and Multidelay channels.
That has nothing to do with modifiers in this case because a modifier cannot (currently) be used to select block channels.

The switches currently only allow a single function.

There are some wishes for Axe Fx III and FM3 to allow "linking" of blocks so that channels could be changed in multiple blocks at the same time.

That has nothing to do with modifiers in this case because a modifier cannot (currently) be used to select block channels.

The switches currently only allow a single function.

There are some wishes for Axe Fx III and FM3 to allow "linking" of blocks so that channels could be changed in multiple blocks at the same time.
I get that. I was responding to IronSean in this thread instead of starting a 4th thread RE: square peg/round hole switching mentality I suddenly find myself in when trying to get things to do what I want.

@JiveTurkey ... There may be other options to achieve the results desired?

Post or send me the preset, and EXACT descriptions of what you want to happen in each scene. As well as your switch layout(s). Maybe I can help?

Moke

Is there a noticeable switching gap between scenes with the FM3?

" I am assuming one channel can be "On" while another channel of the same block can be set to "Off"? "

I'd call this "mostly true" on a block-by-block basis. For instance, if you really want to switch channels instead of bypass state,on most effects with a mix knob you could switch to a channel with 0% mix (and not get any visual indication the block isn't active). Or for parallel blocks switch output levels to 0. Or switch input levels to 0 if you want to effect tails to stay audible.

But being able to assign multiple actions to a single switch is another wish I've had for a while, Helix can do it but Axe you're limited to just one. Unless there's a creative way to hook a footswitch up to a Control Switch, and then hook that control switch up to several modifiers (instead of channels). Like, you could maybe hook up a modifier powered by control switch to a bunch of mix and level knobs and get it to turn one set of things on in one state and another in another.

But you're right that this is kind of complex-control-switch-configuration-peg into a scene-shaped-hole work. And because Scenes already exist there hasn't necessarily been a lot of time by Fractal or Forum members making these other approaches work.

Back
Top Bottom