Different amp and eq "states" in relation to volume?

Brick_top

Power User
Maybe there is a better way to do this, but I would like to have in one preset a couple of amp and eq settings that would change according to the output volume you use on the output knob of the axe.

Let's say you could define the highs of an amp to be at 7 when the volume knob on the axe-fx is at 3, and then define that you would like the highs at 3 when you have the output volume at 5.

So you would put the volume knob in one position and save a "state" of the definitions you have on the amp or eq, and then change the volume knob adust the settings and save another "state".

make any sense?

Brick_top said:
Maybe there is a better way to do this, but I would like to have in one preset a couple of amp and eq settings that would change according to the output volume you use on the output knob of the axe.
Not possible with the present system. The output volume knob is an analog control, and the digital portion of the system has no way to know where you have it set. It's moot anyway, because the idea won't ever work. There is not a direct, known correlation between the signal level the Axe-Fx is putting out and the acoustic volume you're hearing when you amplify that signal and send it to a speaker. Even if you could link the internal processing to the output knob, the system has no way of knowing how loud you're playing.

You may be able to achieve what you want with either any level parameter within a block or maybe with a volume control on the mixer block. You will have to use a cc pedal and assign all the pertinent parameters as you desire for a specified position on the pedal. I assume this is for a backline or monitor/cab setup as the increased high end will benefit lower volume levels on stage and lower high end is perceived better for higher volume levels. I don't see any benefit if you are going direct to FOH unless it is intentional for some kind of effect or special effect.

Jay Mitchell said:
Not possible with the present system. The output volume knob is an analog control, and the digital portion of the system has no way to know where you have it set.

I thought about that being the case. :(

It's moot anyway, because the idea won't ever work. There is not a direct, known correlation between the signal level the Axe-Fx is putting out and the acoustic volume you're hearing when you amplify that signal and send it to a speaker. Even if you could link the internal processing to the output knob, the system has no way of knowing how loud you're playing.

What I thought about was the user would be the one defining a point where the new "state" would come into play based on what he likes best from his monitoring system. But idealy the definitions would automaticaly interpolate the values (maybe this wouldn't work because the behavior of the amplifier/speaker isn't linear?) from one state to another.

It's the case of presets not translating well between live use and "home" use... Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time!

I'm really sorry if I said very stupid things specially to you. I know I don't know.

reclavea said:
I assume this is for a backline or monitor/cab setup as the increased high end will benefit lower volume levels on stage and lower high end is perceived better for higher volume levels.

I don't see any benefit if you are going direct to FOH

I would be going direct to FOH aswell as using another FRFR speaker for monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom