Difference between the EVM12L and the EVM12L Black Label

Finnster

Inspired
Both have the same freq. range specs, I think the Black Label is rated at 300w vs 200w.

I know some people are starting to use EV's with their Axe because of the large frequency range...does someone have a comment on the differences of these two speakers?

Maybe do a 2x12 with one of each?

I have 2 of the EVM12 Classics coming this week, I can let you know what they sound like in my custom cab in a few days... I remember reading that the BL has increased power and bass handleing.

There is no diff. Only the price and wattage. So buy the cheapest ones cause 200 watt is more then enough.

Simple :mrgreen

I have four of the original EVM-12L's I bought about 12 years ago (The ones they sell as 'Classic" now). They're 300w and I couldn't even consider going back to Celestions now. Of course there are Celestions on the market now that I haven't tried. They have a naturally darker sound than Celestions but very smooth. I never cared for the high end fizzy-ness of the Celestions. It's really another opinionated subject with many variables but these EVM's have sounded great no matter what I throw at them. I replaced the G12-70's in a Marshall cab with the EVM's and never looked back. They are unfortunately MUCH heavier. Putting them in a 4x12 is a back breaker. I recently built a couple 2x12 cabs for them.

back.jpg View attachment 5068

They are spec'd the same, but I think the 300W BLS version is a reissue of an EVM12L that was primarily used in PAs whereas the 200W Classics are reissues of EVM12Ls used primarily for MI. I have no idea about any tone differences between the two.

Edit: According to my internet research, the BLS version is a reissue of the EVM12L Pro-Line.

Edit #2: 200W Classic is reissue of EVM12L Series II

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=6080718

According to this guy, the difference between the 200 and 300watters are mechanical enhancements to support higher power handling.

Last edited:
Enter the EVM-12L Black Label, the official guitar loudspeaker of Zakk Wylde and Black Label Society. Take the EVM-12L, add Zakk's personal specs (improved power handling, improved magnet design, better venting, and the Black Label colors), and now you have the greatest guitar loudspeaker in the world. Wanna argue with Zakk on that? I didn't think so.

Electro-Voice EVM-12L Black Label 12" Speaker Features:
300W power handling
Redesigned magnet sructure
100dB Sensitivity
8 ohms
80-7000Hz frequency response
Massive low end

Thanks for all the responses. I am curious to hear people thoughts using the Matrix with the EV's.
I think Yek is building this setup as well.

By the way, the EVM12Ls do not actually have an extended high end response. They are being generous with the 7kHz claim. If you look at the freq response graph, the response of the EVM12L is about -17dB at 7kHz, no different than any other guitar speaker.

Thanks for all the responses. I am curious to hear people thoughts using the Matrix with the EV's.
I think Yek is building this setup as well.

As am I (awaiting my Matrix). Claxor and I spent three hours last weekend putting his GT800 thru my
two 2x12 cabs loaded with EVM 12L Classics (the 200W'ers). To me, this pairing is the ultimate expression of the power amp/guitar cab setup for use with the Axe. The combo of the GT and the EVM's gives so much clarity that it is fairly easy to use cab IR's (the good aftermarket ones or Axe II IR's) in a live situation. It gives the tactile bounce and punch of big tube amps under your fingers on top of its excellent transparency (the best of any Axe/amp/gtr cab rig I've ever heard).

As to the diff between the Classics and the Black Labels, I have heard both with my
own ears. The BL's have more bass (which is a bit too much IMHO), and slightly cooler, more crystalline highs. They seem purpose voiced to Metal styles. I find the Classics more naturally
suited in their voicing to general music duties.

Last edited:
As am I (awaiting my Matrix). Claxor and I spent three hours last weekend putting his GT800 thru my
two 2x12 cabs loaded with EVM 12L Classics (the 200W'ers). To me, this pairing is the ultimate expression of the power amp/guitar cab setup for use with the Axe. The combo of the GT and the EVM's gives so much clarity that it is fairly easy to use cab IR's (the good aftermarket ones or Axe II IR's) in a live situation. It gives the tactile bounce and punch of big tube amps under your fingers on top of its excellent transparency (the best of any Axe/amp/gtr cab rig I've ever heard).

As to the diff between the Classics and the Black Labels, I have heard both with my
own ears. The BL's have more bass (which is a bit too much IMHO), and slightly cooler, more crystalline highs. They seem purpose voiced to Metal styles. I find the Classics more naturally

Are you running 16 ohm or 8 ohm EVM's with the Matrix?

On youtube somewhere i found a tour of Zakk's studio and he mentions using 200 watt ev's so atleast in the studio he uses the originals. I thinks it just marketing. Just like his signature marshall heads they are all fake on stage the real ones off to the side out of view of the 4 heads I seen only one was a signature head the others were original issue jcm 800's I know because he showed them to me on a meet greet. By the way Zakk Wylde fricken awesome guy i told him your the best put my hand to shake his he grabed it and pulled me close and bumped my shoulder and told me I got your back bro!. Later at the end of the concert he looked right at me and nodded his head kind of gueture he remembered me from the meet and greet earlier. In my mind no one can have better respect for his fans!

I have 2 Classics that will be here friday..2 will be more than enough volume for me. I'm still tweeking my rig till the Axe-II is available. I've read Dada and Jay mention something may be lacking with the EV Classics alone??? possibly need to add a cross-over and hf driver??
My 2x12 cabinet is closed back medium size I would like to hear opinions on porting the cab?? or should leave it sealed?? :)

I have 2 Classics that will be here friday..2 will be more than enough volume for me. I'm still tweeking my rig till the Axe-II is available. I've read Dada and Jay mention something may be lacking with the EV Classics alone??? possibly need to add a cross-over and hf driver??
My 2x12 cabinet is closed back medium size I would like to hear opinions on porting the cab?? or should leave it sealed?? :)

An EVM alone isn't going to get you the high end detail you'll get with FRFR, HF horn/tweeter loaded cabinets. However, the detail you'll be missing won't be guitar frequencies, it will be effects. Spacial information on delay repeats, and such. If that kind of sonic info is important to you then get a cab with a tweeter. I personally find very high frequencies annoying in my live signal.
Not everyone feels that way.

In my experiments with EVM's, the more open the cab, the better it sounded (to me, at least). So, I would say port the cab if its a 2x12.

Last edited:

Basically, with an EVM12L and no hf driver, you're not going to be able to accurately use your cab sims. Some people still use cab sims with their EVM12L and get satisfactory results, but theoretically it's not supposed to work this way.

Port or no port, it depends on how well you can design the port. Just adding a port for the sake of saying you have a ported cab is careless practice, but if the designer has the means to properly tune the port, you can get good results. Designing an optimal port is not a trivial task though. It's much easier to get a sealed cab right.

I just got finished installing the two EVM12L classics and playing a few hours :) This is the fourth set of speakers I've tried and are definatley my favorites . If anyone is considering any of these guitar speakers maybe this will help, just my opinion thou :) I first tried celestion century vintage- the most harsh sound of all the others had some frequencies I just could'nt seem to dial out, they were so light I wish I could have used them. Then Eminence Vintage ...forgot which model? :( sounded really nice and warm but was missing some high freq. detail that left the tone a little lifeless. I found 2 of the 12" Eminence modeling speakers on ebay awhile back and they really have alot of high freq. that the others were missing, really made a difference with the effects tails but it also had some harshness that was hard to tone down. The EVM's have a much better all around tone, most all the harsh highs are gone or can be dialed out and still retain clarity. sounds really nice and I'm sure they will sound even better when they are broke in.... especially with the Axe II :)

Back
Top Bottom