Difference between a Tone Match and IR Capture?

DFauvre

Inspired
1. What in brief is the difference?
2. When do you use which?
3. Do you ever use both in the same preset? When?
4. I am trying to capture the amazing tone of my Parker Fly pieso going through a Roland amp.
I have already tried tone matching, IR capture, and adjusting EQ in the Axe.
5. Do I need a mic better than an SM57?
6. The Roland amp has two 8" speakers AND two small tweeters. Do I need to mic both?

Thank you!
David

Can I also add is it possible to do an amp match that is purely the amp without the cab in the same way we can IR the cab without the amp?

In short: IR shoot is convolution and tone matching is match EQ. I'm not sure what the resolution of the match EQ is but I would assume it's not as good as in IR shooting.

You can tone match your amp by using a DI in between your amp and cab.

Thanks Yek. Its a shame there is not a lot of commercially available libraries for tone matched amps for this platform like there is for the Kemper. Im an Axe owner not a Kemper owner and I love the axe to bits but it would be nice to get some pro quality matched amps for some models that are not in the axe eg a modded marshall major or metropolous etc

In short: IR shoot is convolution and tone matching is match EQ. I'm not sure what the resolution of the match EQ is but I would assume it's not as good as in IR shooting.

You can tone match your amp by using a DI in between your amp and cab.

Thank you for this could you elaborate on the process of DI..Run an extra cable too the axe and TM
or how exactly is this done Im heading to the link Yek posted as well to read..
I am about to be doing this before selling some gear and its quite helpful at this point to make sure I get it right.

Did not know about this wanting to get it right before I auction some things off...
I have just dry recordings of the other amp/s I sold so this might be another route as well as recording them dry I will do both...

I do want to get just the amp and then the cabs so this is very helpful.

Hmm I am running my axe fx front of house into allan and heath mix wiz so I can practice singing and playing I have that going into an alesis hd 24 with 16 channel snake thats all hooked up I was planning on being able to record a band live I have an 8 channel mixer in the rack to make up the last 8 spaces for 24 tracks in case id ever need that live which is doubtful but its there if needed.

Not quite sure how id pull this off I do have DI boxes including the suhr which has a level knob for line level gain if needed so perhaps I should use that..

I need to record this ultra phonic amp before taking it to auction and while im doing that I might as well record the other amps here and get those done..

I wonder what the best way to capture the amp alone and then the cab as well
using the snake or mixer for mix pre ...
I do have that setup but im out in the boonies where I cant get much help...
No one around here knows anything about this so its futile to even ask locally.

I asked the person who taught me how to use the axe and program my own patches and he is not in the least interested in messing with that but in my case I must do it before selling some gear..

My goal is two axe fx xl + and perhaps some better wedges or flat response speakers so I gotta move the gear to make that happen and once its gone its gone..

Any help regarding that is most appreciated as I have no one around here who has a brain.
I read the notes and all just a bit confused as to how to do it using a mixer.
I dont own any stand alone mic pre's and as far as mic's go2
2 sm 57s
2 nd 468 evs
2 sterling st55 cardioid mics
the last two mics mentioned are best for room mics or over heads for drums not real
loud amp applications or close mic situations as they are ribbon mics I dont want to dust those....

Nothing two special mic wise here and in order too afford better mics I gotta sell the amps.
I never play the tube amps and so I dont need them.

I would like to capture just the heads and then the cabs before I dump them off...
I have a pin stripe stack which has both Hendrix scum back speaker types those are the tall cabs and id like to record those as well as some vintage marshall B cabs and 8 10 cabs
even some 4 10 cabs which sound really great and the D style 2 12 and D style 4 12 cab

So its now or never on that im going to sell all of it and pair down to two xl + and 4 really great flat response speakers.

Any help regarding this is most appreciated im a bit confused on how to do it using a mixer.
I have a zoom h4n which has two xlr inputs and two built in mics for smaller applications
so maybe that might be less of a headache just to get the amp ir and some cab irs..

But the alesis hd 24 has formatted hard drives in it which are empty I can noodle till the cows come home and not worry about burning up computer space..
Same with Zoom I can dump that over quicker then the hd to mac so all ears here..

Back
Top Bottom