Diezel Herbert Djent/Metal Tone Test

EthanC

Oddly enough in my never ending quest to get that "i'm satisfied with it" tone, the Herbie, I believe, sounds damn good! Especially if you know how to place the guitar and bass in the mix well enough.
Please don't judge the fact that it isn't an actual song... Just something "meshuggish" i'm noodling with. ;)

VERY Nice sounding clip! Guitar ? PU ? You Said that about the mix because is raw or did you process in your Daw? If it's raw ( guitars ) great work !

.... I mean Great Work anyway

the Herbie is quickly becoming one of my favs. the thing is incredibly heavy. i like it quite a bit more than the Das Metal or the VH4.

Thanks so much for the comments guys I really appreciate it!

I tried like hell to get the tone i wanted out of Das Metall but it's just so fucking saturated... >.< I find it great on the high end and not so great on the low but that could just be my opinion as well.

Guitar is ESP MH-417 with 81-7 PU in the bridge. I like the response and probably won't ever swap it out until I can get my hands on a bare knuckle or something :p

I try really hard not to "overprocess" the guitars since I'm sure everybody here knows how easy it is to go ape shit with a dozen EQ modifications so I'm only running a high and low pass with one 6db cut at 2000hx. Some people boost the 1400hz area (especially with djent) but I'm already boosting it with the 808-mod in my axe fx so I didn't touch any of that in-DAW.

I wanted to get some reactions before giving out this info because i was afraid that telling everyone where the method landed first would contaminate their comments, so now that I have a few I wanted to point out that the high-pass ran at 150hz (I know... high) and the low-pass was at 5000hz. Even at 150hz high pass I think the guitar still seems low as feck because it's blended with the bass guitar. In fact you're probably hearing more bass guitar than 7-string because i didn't run a single pass or cut on the bass guitar as it turns out.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it (in addition to finally getting around to making an actual song out of it lol) trying to get a bit more "wet flap" out of the open-string chugs but it seems like anything past the 6 o'clock range on the 808-mod takes the guitars to "twangy high-pitched-ville" very quickly. The gain was only at 0.1 on the Herbie in that and i'm thinking about dropping that even further 0.05 and just picking even harder to get more "anger" out of it.

Back
Top Bottom