Diezel, Bogner, Engl, Dual Rec, Soldano, JCM800

ok, so i decided i needed to record some direct tones with drums. unfortunately i am no drum programmer so in garageband i just loaded a stock clip and played some chunky riffs to get an idea how the guitar tones would sound with drums.

I didn't bother trying to dial out some of the low end dirt...maybe in the future. i just want to get the tones to sound similar to the amps i am emulating, though if they aren't exact i don't care that much. i'm finding the hardest thing is making the amps sound not quite so "perfect." it seems like i get the sound that i love, and when compared to real miced up amps, the real amps sound lame honestly...even well recorded ones. but that lame factor is what makes them sound more real oddly enough. whatever, i don't even know what i'm trying to say now...haha

signal chain
PRS -> Axe-fx -> amp -> german cab and v30 -> line in on macbook pro -> garageband

Diezel VH4 (i think) - going for the liquid gain thing
www.fcccdoc.org/Diezel-VH4.mp3

Bogner Uberstuff - my favorite so far
www.fcccdoc.org/Bogner-Uber.mp3

Soldano SLO100 - crappy playing on this one...trying to get a framus cobra tone...haha
www.fcccdoc.org/Soldano-SLO100.mp3

Mesa Dual Rec - got this one pretty tight i think
www.fcccdoc.org/Mesa-Dual-Rec.mp3

ENGL Powerball - even tighter than the mesa
www.fcccdoc.org/Engl-Powerball.mp3

Marshall JCM800 - for grins...honestly it sounds like crap...gotta kill the bass mess going on here
www.fcccdoc.org/Marshall-JCM800.mp3

let me know what you think!

Those all sound so similar that if you played 1 track switching between them I may not even be able to name them. I do like how smooth the VH4 sounds though.

i like the bogner the best.like Sidivan said, there's only slight difference on all those tones. i guess it's true whatever amp u choose and play,u're going to dial that one tone in your head. :p

Sup?

cool stuff :cool:
+1 on the Bogner,, with the Vh4 and Engl almost tied for second.

any chance you saved the presets and would mind sharing?

In a way,this is kinda like the Hi-gain shootout that was done some time ago, and those gave me a good insight how others construct similar presets between models.

MOSHON
DAVE

Thanks for the input!
They are all very similiar, but really the amps themselves are also somewhat similiar in real life.

I can upload the presets to the axe-exchange in a couple of days...won't be near my axe till Tuesday

unscarred said:
i like the bogner the best.like Sidivan said, there's only slight difference on all those tones. i guess it's true whatever amp u choose and play,u're going to dial that one tone in your head. :p
+1.

And...
1. All those amps are high gain amps and those tend to sound quite similar.
2. You used the same cab combo for all of the amps and the cabs have a huge influence on the sound.
3. ... I liked the JCM 800 the most.

nonamesleft said:
I didn't bother trying to dial out some of the low end dirt...maybe in the future. i just want to get the tones to sound similar to the amps i am emulating, though if they aren't exact i don't care that much. i'm finding the hardest thing is making the amps sound not quite so "perfect." it seems like i get the sound that i love, and when compared to real miced up amps, the real amps sound lame honestly...even well recorded ones. but that lame factor is what makes them sound more real oddly enough. whatever, i don't even know what i'm trying to say now...haha

Try to lower the BIAS in the amp-advanced settings. That little tweak brings the "hair" and imperfections back, IMHO. Turns out that the 0.350 (optimal settings according to Cliff) is not the factory standard. I do agree though that the "tubes" really shine with that 0.350 Bias setting. Looks like amp manufacturers tend to set the bias lower, to enhance the lifespan of the tubes.

It is practicaly impossible to make a choice with the different levels at which the amps are recorded.

The Bogner is much louder than all the others. No wonder a lot of people prefered that one.

I prefered the Engl. Dry and smooth.

The Marshall has much less gain, and sounds quite different. I liked it a lot, though, because you can still hear a bit of the guitar. You should try pushing it with a drive block (hi-V overdrive style, for example).

Clawfinger said:
nonamesleft said:

Try to lower the BIAS in the amp-advanced settings. That little tweak brings the "hair" and imperfections back, IMHO. Turns out that the 0.350 (optimal settings according to Cliff) is not the factory standard. I do agree though that the "tubes" really shine with that 0.350 Bias setting. Looks like amp manufacturers tend to set the bias lower, to enhance the lifespan of the tubes.

I just thumbed through my amps at random and they all had .350 as their default BIAS ..

sooo...as far as the tube bias...i personally liked the aggression of running the "tubes" hot - it just added a huge amount of umph to my ears. the whole point of my exercise was to make the most brutal sounding patches of each amp i could that still sounded good to my ears without plugging in the axe to an amp and cab.

the reason i like the bogner best is because it, to me, sounds like the most pissed off amp i have ever heard recorded...like every time i listen to it (at least in my crappy headphones!) it just crushes. in all honesty though, i thought the soldano sounded the most "realistic" of the recordings...it just had more of that miced cab feel to my ears even though i liked the actual sound of it worse.

i gotta say, things are starting to get screwey for me. i am finding myself liking the sound of guitar through axe-fx amp sims more than through actual boutique amps miced up. so much more clear and articulate to my ears. some people think it sounds more "fake" but seriously, i am liking the sound of "fake" way more than real these days! if only i could record a bogner uber and make it sound like the bogner uber i can record direct from the axe...even a 57 on the grill of a bogner 4x12 sounds somewhat distant compared to the axe-direct. it is like hyper-realistic. i must be losing my mind...

as for adding the presets...no good. for some reason the axe-editor i have isn't getting the presets from my axe-fx. i can download presets from the exchange to the axe but can't go from the axe to the computer for some stupid reason. i am using firmware 7.00, an Edirol UM-1EX and the axe-editor 1.34 beta. any ideas?

nonamesleft said:
as for adding the presets...no good. for some reason the axe-editor i have isn't getting the presets from my axe-fx. i can download presets from the exchange to the axe but can't go from the axe to the computer for some stupid reason. i am using firmware 7.00, an Edirol UM-1EX and the axe-editor 1.34 beta. any ideas?

Try Bomes Send-SX...works great for import/export for me :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

moshwitz said:
nonamesleft said:

Try Bomes Send-SX...works great for import/export for me :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

got something for mac?

Back
Top Bottom