Did Joe buy an AFX?

Peavey ruined Joe's tone. Has never been the same since the Marshall 30th anniversary half stacks. Hope he can get it back with an Axe...

I don't know... Gear is not getting any cheeper to haul around and like most touring artests the bottom line is still the bottom line no matter what your doing. If there is a way to do it with less and still have the tone he's after I would bet that he has or will have an Axe in his stage rig.

I've always wondered how much this matters to a touring artist of any moderate to large size. The portability of the Axe is huge to me, being that I haul my gear around in my car myself. But once you're past club tours in vans, do they really care? There's usually going to be enough other gear that I wouldn't think it'd make that much of a difference...and it's not like Joe hauls his own gear anymore anyway.

Of course there are plenty of other reasons why they'd like the Axe -- tone, versatility, consistency, reliability, fewer parts to fail, ability to have a perfectly exact backup rig in an extra 2U, cleaner stage (though some may not want to let the big cabinet look go), and so on. I'm sure they don't mind that there's less for their tech and road crew to haul and setup, but I wouldn't think it's a driving factor in their decision to move to it.

Even the biggest bands in the world care about gear hauling expenses. However, the items mentioned in your 2nd paragraph are probably even more important.

I was recently chatting with a guitar tech from a band that is large enough to have copies of the guitarist's rigs for different continents. We're talking multiple amp heads and cabs per rig. After a few days with the Axe FX II he already had the Axe FX sounding more like the A rig than his theoretically "identical" B rig sounds like the A rig. The consistency factor with the Axe FX II is huge.

Back
Top Bottom