Dialling in Mark V

The Mesa`s went through different changes with the last Firmwares. I didn´t like them everytime........But with the Quantum they are absolutly on top..........

Thanks to all the inputs in this thread I tried again getting alomg with the Mesa - I love the sound of them, but it's alwasy been hard to dial in - now I made some better results and I#m still working on it, like with the Input Trim, I haven't done yet. Here is a little soundclip with some Santana Playback and it's sounds really good now. I'm no Djent guy its a bit more old school but I'm on the way getting a good sound. I used 2 Ambient IR's from the Orange Cab Pack by cabIR.eu...

Mikko, did you ever figure out why the "master volume at 4" setting is so critical? In your demo, you clearly show setting it to either 3 or 5 adds flub to the palm mute, whereas 4 cuts off almost like a gate. I've not tried this on my real Mark IV (because it would be insanely loud through my 4x12), but I can't figure out why that specific MV setting would affect things like this (I could see 5 being "flubbier", but why 3, which should theoretically be tighter?).

Mikko, did you ever figure out why the "master volume at 4" setting is so critical? In your demo, you clearly show setting it to either 3 or 5 adds flub to the palm mute, whereas 4 cuts off almost like a gate. I've not tried this on my real Mark IV (because it would be insanely loud through my 4x12), but I can't figure out why that specific MV setting would affect things like this (I could see 5 being "flubbier", but why 3, which should theoretically be tighter?).
Can't say for sure but I guess 4 is that magic spot where theres just enough saturation to fill out the tone but setting it less doesn't compress it enough to tame the eq choices??? Idk, tube voodoo? Haha

My real mark iv sounds best around 4 as well. Between 2.5-4. Anything above 4 or 4.5 the power amp seems to be running out of steam and starts getting flubby.

I would also suggest in addition to Mikkos Mark IV guide there is also a preset of his floating about somewhere " Mikkos Mesa Boogie Mark IV " works very nicely. I do not own a Mark V but I do have a Mini rectifier and a Triple Rectifier so I am well acquainted with their idiosyncrasies. Really a love / hate thing dealing with Mesa's - ha . The axe really nails that perfectly along with the oddities of their gain structure, extremely authentic IMO.

The clip I posted above us mikko's Mark IV. It is a stellar preset

I'm with The Aftermath, I just never thought I needed to set the GEQ in the amp block so drastically. I was doing a V with the EQ, but not that extreme. Also, bass at 0 really worked well. Cannot believe how good of a sound I'm getting right now. Amazing work Mikko.

make sure you dial in the 'boogie V' on the parametric EQ and you will get the tones you want.

As @ML SOUND LAB and others have found out, the scale of the Fractal GEQ doesn't exactly match a boogie. So the settings from the internet don't necessarily translate one-to-one.

His Mark IV preset created by an A/B of an actual Boogie is the tits.

Hey everyone,
This might sound like a stupid question but how does one go about dialling in one of the USA amp models to sound like a Mark V? All the Mark V demos I've heard have this amazing hi-gain sound with great clarity but when I use the USA Lead or IIC+ models on my Axe-Fx, even with gain and overdrive at full I only get a crunch tone. No where near the gain of the real model.

I know I'm doing something wrong, any ideas?

Cheers!

Much of the gain is in the treble control. Set the treble high (7-10) (bass (2)and mid (3) pretty low) and shape your tone with the graphic EQ.

I'm not exactly sure what the Mark V tone is. We have an Extreme mode that is "new" but to me it sounds like Faith No More which was a Mark III if memory serves. Crunch is a new mode but that is AC/DC the easy way. Then you have Tweed/Edge covering that low gain area.
The other modes are taken from amps Mark I, II, and IV. So IMO the Mark V tone comes from the way it cuts and sits in the mix.

The Mark series amps are chameleons and can sound many different ways. The way I tweak it is very Petrucci esque and believe it or not but these extreme settings make it flat since it's naturally so mid heavy.

Thanks for posting my video guys. A lot of work went into making the tweak so fast and easy. :)

Back
Top Bottom