Dialling in Mark V

Dillonski

Inspired
Hey everyone,
This might sound like a stupid question but how does one go about dialling in one of the USA amp models to sound like a Mark V? All the Mark V demos I've heard have this amazing hi-gain sound with great clarity but when I use the USA Lead or IIC+ models on my Axe-Fx, even with gain and overdrive at full I only get a crunch tone. No where near the gain of the real model.

I know I'm doing something wrong, any ideas?

Cheers!

with those settings you should be well into high gain territory. Do you have that issue with any other high gain amp models?

The tone I get is reasonably distorted but it's no where close to anything I've heard people do with the Axe-Fx models or the real Mark V

Maybe lower master and play with the bright/boost/cut/fat switches. They are not my favorite models but I'm don't have much boogie experience. Use Mesa based ir's

couldnt open it bc its an XL+ file but i did some tinkering with the IIC+ model and it seems to be normal for me at least. maybe someone more knowledgeable on the amp model and its settings can chime in, sorry :(

I use the mark models and I also have a real mark iv. I don't have my axe fx in front of me now but I believe there is a gain and a lead drive setting just as on the real amp. You have to set the drive up to like 7 ish and then adjust the gain accordingly. When I get to my axe Ill see what they are actually labeled. Also, as with all mark series amps, run the bass very low for a tight sound and then use the geq to bring the low end back in.

I use the mark models and I also have a real mark iv. I don't have my axe fx in front of me now but I believe there is a gain and a lead drive setting just as on the real amp. You have to set the drive up to like 7 ish and then adjust the gain accordingly. When I get to my axe Ill see what they are actually labeled. Also, as with all mark series amps, run the bass very low for a tight sound and then use the geq to bring the low end back in.

This lead drive setting might be what I'm missing out on! I'll take a look into that, thanks!

Just checked the Wiki, apparently lead drive is the over drive knob in the Axe-Fx. I already have this set to max and still get no where near the amount of gain I've heard these Amps put out. Very confused but thanks man!

I used and sold Mesas for years and it's all about cascading gain and keeping the bass under control and using the 5 band graphic to get back the bass you cut to keep things from getting muddy. USA Lead is my main amp block.

OP, was your preset done in 1.06? I ask because I tried loading it and it was empty. I'm still running 1.05.

I have the same experience. The best advice I can offer you is to remember that the Treble knob functions effectively as another gain stage, so whack that up too. Pull the Bass knob right down to 2 or less.

Scoop the mids with the GEQ, and boost the lows and highs (classic V shape) is typical too.

The tone I get is reasonably distorted but it's no where close to anything I've heard people do with the Axe-Fx models or the real Mark V

Could you share some of the examples you are comparing to? Something to use a reference on what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom