Dialing tones for use with IEMs

I use Westone ported IEMs. I do not tweak my patches differently for use with them. Some room reverb can help, though.

Hey Karl, I'm looking at the getting some westone IEM's with the ports (EAS 30's). I was wondering if the ports allow for enough of the stage sound in such that you can just run a guitar mix from the Axe. It sounds like that may be what you are doing. I think this is a easy solution to controlling stage volume AND being able to hear my guitar/tone well. Any thoughts and/or advice? Thanks. MJ

Hey Karl, I'm looking at the getting some westone IEM's with the ports (EAS 30's). I was wondering if the ports allow for enough of the stage sound in such that you can just run a guitar mix from the Axe. It sounds like that may be what you are doing. I think this is a easy solution to controlling stage volume AND being able to hear my guitar/tone well. Any thoughts and/or advice? Thanks. MJ

I have the AM Pro 30's. I generally run what some might consider a full mix into my IEMs. I know that's not standard practice, but it works well for me. Drum overheads plus kick and snare, bass, keys, vocals, my guitar, and a little of the other guitarist, plus tracks and click. The wonder of it all is that it's so clear even with all that in there. We do have stereo mixes, so panning helps a lot with a full mix like that. The ports let me hear room reflections, and that makes all the difference in the world. Instead of everything being in the center of your skull, it sounds like you're in a room.

It really depends on your stage sound and what else you've got, but I wouldn't think the ports would allow enough of the rest of the mix in without needing at least some reinforcement from the drivers.

Hey Karl, thanks for the intel. I was planning on just using the ports. I will have to rethink this as an option. We have a 10 piece band (horns, etc) so a lot of sonic frequencies flying around. I have found that with my Axe III is a bit tougher for me to hear than my AxeII (I’m sure I’m just dialing it in for live....and I’ll get there). Appreciate your thoughts

Hey Karl, thanks for the intel. I was planning on just using the ports. I will have to rethink this as an option. We have a 10 piece band (horns, etc) so a lot of sonic frequencies flying around. I have found that with my Axe III is a bit tougher for me to hear than my AxeII (I’m sure I’m just dialing it in for live....and I’ll get there). Appreciate your thoughts
Hey mr. phlurph (don’t know how else to address you ;) ) curious about your 10- piece band .always enjoy going out to hear local players use their FAS gear....do you play out publiclymuch or mostly private/corporate, if you got any interesting chicago gigs you wanna share, lemme know. ....and maybe a vague sense of what your sets include.....Thanks!....(as an official geezer, my public performance days are pretty much behind me..but still get around to see what the kids are doin....)

Back
Top Bottom