dialing it in

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
Okay. So I'm really beginning to get the hand of dialing in realistic sounds on the Axe II, whether it's through studio monitors or FRFR. In particular, edge of breakup and low gain tones, which are not easy with some amp models.

While I find that the newer amp models often sound better, I dialed in an excellent JTM45 tone tonight (well, this morning). I'm surprised at the headroom that is available on that amp. Even more than some of the other ones you might expect. Some of the others that I would expect to have loads of headroom, begin to break up at pretty volume, and the break up takes real work to dial out some of the grit.

The issue I encounter with grainy (gritty, splatty, etc.) decay is much more noticeable with the brighter amps (again, at lower gain). Still working on taming those.

I guess I hoped that I would be able to get a great sound from all the amp models fairly quickly, and I think it's definitely possible, but with more work, time, and understanding of what needs to be done.

One of the main things I find absolutely necessary is to limit the frequency response of the amp and cab, to get them closer to real world specs. Even with a real cab, it's necessary (again, more so with bright amp models) to limit the response of the amp. Thankfully, we have a number of ways to do that on the Axe. It's just wonderful.

I find it also helps to keep the power amp or studio monitor volume higher and adjust the Axe's output accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom