Dialing in recording tones

I appreciate the time you took to write your post Matt. I will give your suggestions a try. The fact others have somehow been able to get tones I thought were good is what is keeping me optimistic. I have to admit though, while I have been playing guitar a long time, much of these tips/tricks don't seem like common knowledge unless I'm just ignorant (always a possibility).

Tone Jones said:
I appreciate the time you took to write your post Matt. I will give your suggestions a try. The fact others have somehow been able to get tones I thought were good is what is keeping me optimistic. I have to admit though, while I have been playing guitar a long time, much of these tips/tricks don't seem like common knowledge unless I'm just ignorant (always a possibility).

A lot of what it takes to get a good guitar sound to record is not common knowledge. Before the internet, much of it was actually pretty much arcana. Those of us who can remember such dark times :shock: had to figure a lot of things out on our own and it probably took a lot of trial and error along the way. :lol: Now, a lot of information is much more widespread and available, thanks to a lot of intelligent and helpful people. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of misinformation written by well intentioned folks who just don't have it quite right and a minority of folks who just love to offer an opinion on everything (because, of course, they know it all). :lol: So, the trick now is less about finding the good info, but more about sorting it from the rubbish. My point is that you shouldn't feel bad for not knowing... We all are learning all the time and, in the case of the Axe Fx, that is why this forum is here. Be welcome... Your in the right place. ;)

Another forum that I have found helpful is this:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap-151/

I encourage you to do a lot of experimenting with how you track your guitars, because most, if not all, recorded modern guitar sounds that we tend to admire are created by multi-tracking (often dual and quad tracked), layering (of different guitar tones, chord voicings, etc), and a fair amount of post processing. A single guitar track as output from the Axe-Fx (even in stereo), as good as it may sound, will sound a bit small in comparison. I'm guessing that a lot of the tones you've heard here that you liked were probably recorded in this fashion. Many users share freely about their tracking techniques and also share their patches, which is a great way to figure out what works best for you. Also, keep in mind that a great drum track and bass guitar track will really make an already good guitar tone sound epic. I find that what works best for me is to gather some information then spend a lot of time playing mad scientist in the lab to figure out what works with my own ears. Many of the suggestions I offered you come from those very experiences.

One of the biggest improvements I found in my own recording efforts was when I learned about proper double and quad tracking. A great example of a simple concept that makes such a HUGE difference. You may experiment instead with stereo enhancement, short delays between left and right stereo images, and other psuedo-double tracking techniques, but I've found that I don't like the comb filtering that happens due to phase differences between the left and right.

Although some others may disagree, I find that approaching the Axe-Fx like a real world amp really helps me get what I want out of it. So, if you learn some cool production techniques that work with real world amps, experiment and see if they apply with the Axe-Fx.

In terms of getting a good sound for practice, rehearsal, and live performance... One that more closely resembles a "real world amp in a real world room" sound, this is a slightly different animal. I personally don't have much experience with this as I rely on my tube amps for these purposes, but there are many folks here in the forum who do use the Axe-Fx as their live rig. I'm sure they'll be able to steer you in the proper direction.

Best of luck!
-Matt

Tone Jones said:
Ok...so I made a clip of the characteristics I'm talking about: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=961612

The chain is AMP -> DELAY -> CABINET. The left analog out is feeding the line in on a UX2 -> USB out to Garage Band.

Amp:
Solo 100
Drive: 9
Bass: 7
Mid: 5
Treble: 5 (Bright On)
Pres: 1.5
Deep: 2
Damp: 4
Sag: 2
Master: 5
Level: 0
Warmth: 3.5
Thump: 2.5
Low Cut: 100Hz
High Cut: 5kHz

Cabinet
Using Jay's 4x12 V30 SM57 IR with drive on 0

Input is set to analog front and power amp/cabinet sims set to ON globally. Input knob on AxeFx is at about 1pm with strong guitar input signal. Output knob is set very low (about 8 O'clock) and input meter on UX2 is very comfortably in the middle and nowhere close to spiking. Track inputs on GarageBand the same - erring on the low side. I have been careful to make sure nothing downstream from the AxeFx has the possibility of clipping.

This clip sounds very "modeled" to me lacking the feel and realism I've heard others achieve. Not sure what else I need to be doing but would love some pointers. It seems there are several threads going on about having the same challenges so I know I'm not alone but again, I've heard others get much nicer results so wondering what I need to be doing. I appreciate the help.

Having heard the clip, and from my own experience tryting to get my live sound on tape, Id increase the Master, Drop the Gain a little. Maybe turn off the bright - or drop the trebble slightly and increase the mids. Id also cut the Bass a little - if not in the EQ then in the Advanced tab - raise the Low cut.

To me the "modelled" sound your hearing would seem to be too much harshish top end (something a lot if not all other moddellers suffer from). Get rid if a little of that and thicken the middle up should help IMO.

Zen Guitar said:
Hi There,

A couple of things that work for me in dialing direct recording tones...
[lots of good advice...]

Hope this helps!
-Matt

Good post, Matt. I'll put this as reference next to my Axe-Fx ;-)

paulmapp8306 said:
Having heard the clip, and from my own experience tryting to get my live sound on tape, Id increase the Master, Drop the Gain a little. Maybe turn off the bright - or drop the trebble slightly and increase the mids. Id also cut the Bass a little - if not in the EQ then in the Advanced tab - raise the Low cut.

To me the "modelled" sound your hearing would seem to be too much harshish top end (something a lot if not all other moddellers suffer from). Get rid if a little of that and thicken the middle up should help IMO.
I'll give your suggestions a try as well, thanks. I started a separate thread about the UX2. Just wondering if it is also contributing to the harshness of the sound.

Back
Top Bottom