Dialing in my tone .... finally

1poorplayer

Power User
Just thought I'd share my recent experience in the initial -Dialing in- of my AX8. IF this method is wrong , you experienced Fractal guys can correct me.

First thing I discovered was to go the the global EQ and drop frequencies below 120 and took 120 down - 10 db. Thru my PA speakers , I listened to my most bass heavy amp and brought 120 down until the "boom" was gone , but the sound was still full.
I made the mistake of pulling down highs with this global EQ when I first got my AX8. First practice with the band , and I knew this was NOT the place to cut highs.​
Now , the IR / cab. Having recorded guitars in the past , I know the sound you get from a distorted amp speaker cab when mic'd is naturally fizzy , and high. It didn't occur to me until today that I should cut the highs in the cab block itself before auditioning other cabs. This allowed , what I believe , to be a much more - fair assessment of the slew of cabs at my disposal within the AX8.
I found a cut around 5300 seems to sound best.( In the cabs I tried at least ) Retains enough clarity , yet eliminates any piercing or annoying highs. Many more cabs started to sound good after the cut. So , at this point I went thru the cabs and found my favorites. These are now my Go-To cabs for a bunch for amps.
In short, I cut the lows in the global EQ , and the highs in the cab block , then adjust to taste with the amp controls on the front panel of the AX8. Sounds great.

Edit : my cut in the cab block at around 5300 was a tad too low "for the mix". When the band was playing along , I needed to put a little of the highs back in. On the patches I used , I ended up cutting around 6500 in the cab block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom