Dialing In A George Lynch / Lynch Mob Tone

ksmithdc

Inspired
All,

I'm wanting to dial in a Lynch Mob era George Lynch tone.

What would you recommend for the amp model, effects chain, etc.. for this? I'm pretty sure he was using Soldano SLO-100's in the studio. (But that doesn't necessarily mean the SLO model is the ideal one).

Kevin

Hi Kevin. I'd like to hear people chime in on this as well. I've had the best luck from the Euro Uber model.

I simply took the Cameron High Gian patch and changed the model to the Euro Uber, then put a stereo cab with one side as 4X12 Uber V30 (RW), and the other side is 4X12 SOLO V12 (RW). I needed to turn the advanced parameter low cut up to 500hz + on the amp model to clean up the mud, but that's probably just because my ceramic pups and/or my monitors and headphones just overemphasize the bass frequencies. YMMV

By the way, the above works primarily for rhythm tones. I haven't tried to get too close to the solo tones yet, but I'm guessing I'll use the Uber for that too. I LOVE the UBER!!

I've also tried the Solo model but I never had a great result with that. Some people seem to use the Friedman BE or HBE for Lynch tones too. I'm no expert though! :)

His main amp on that album was Aspen Pittman's purple 1971 Marshall Super Lead. Another thing to remember that's often overlooked for the Lynch sound is that he uses guitars with maple bodies, maple necks, and usually maple or ebony fretboards, so there is a brightness and bite that is inherent to the guitar itself. His Skulls and Snakes guitar (Haji) which has the Wicked Sensation album art on it, was alder, but wasn't actually completed during the recording of the album.

He did take Soldano's on the road with him because he felt the old Marshall's were just too unreliable to depend on for live shows.

Last edited:
Hi electron. Sorry if I made it sound like I have a patch worth sharing, but I think most other guys here could do a much better job of it.

I haven't really tweaked it enough either. I just kind of threw it together when I first got the II and it sounded closer than I've ever come to a Lynch tone, so I thought I'd offer a suggestion as to which model got close.

I thought I should try to contribute something rather than just asking questions all the time. :) I'll post it later if I think I hit it spot on. In the meantime, I've used the Uber for almost all my hard rock patches so far. To my ears, it has both a tight modern sound and a cool kind of midrangey "brit" snarl.

I didn't have any luck using the Solo model in the Ultra for Lynch tones, so I just assumed the II's Solo wouldn't get me close either. But I tried it today because was curious after posting here. I put a TS808 in front with the drive at zero, and it actually gives me a nice growl with some singing highs too, so now I have another model to work on! I gotta do more tweaking before I'm truly satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom