Dial the honk out of the Tube Screamer

stm113

Power User
I have become fond of using a boost in the front of my gain amps. I think the Tube Screamer is probably my favorite with the exception of the mid honk, any one have suggestions on how the get the benefits of the TS while dialing out that honky sound? Thanks!

You could try cutting some mids in the drive block. Sweep the frequency around until it sounds better. Start with 800 +/-

Or drop some mids after the amp. Or decrease the low cut frequency in the drive block, or increase the high cut frequency.

The tubescreamer mid-hump is the result of pretty strong low and high cut filters that shave off much of the signal outside the midrange. This also has the positive effect of tightening up the gain tones of many amps, since excess lows are what most often make high gain amps sound flubby. You can tweak the high and low cut filters in the drive block to widen the frequency response and reduce the honky response, however you may also lose the tightening effect that so many love about the tubescreamer in the process. To reduce the honk, but maintain the tightness, use post-gain EQ like the Amp block graphic EQ or a filter or EQ block placed after the amp block to reduce the midrange

For crunch I always use "Micro Boost" with mid freq around 1200 and 2-4 db on mid.
Depending on what amp I sometimes lowcuts..
It's so great =) !

Just wondering if you are really cranking the OD OP? I used to set up my Axe FX OD like i would the real world equivalent with the output all the way up and it did not sound right. Thankfullly, once I dropped the output to 7 or 8 it sounded much better.

Reactions: HTR
Hey guys thanks for all of your replies, watched the thread but though i watched the thread i didn't get a notification of the replies, i have a show tonight so I'll be trying out all of your suggestions tomorrow.

The Super OD model is another possibility. Very similar to a Tubescreamer, but not quite as drastic low and high cut. You could also try mixing in a bit of clean signal.

Back
Top Bottom