DI to FOH - what are you using?

tempus fugit

Inspired
I'm planning on using the AXE FX II on our shows coming up this summer.
I remember reading previously about folks that always use a DI box because it a consistent hand off to FOH guys and that many are simply not used to dealing with a line level signal coming from a guitarist etc.
I've googled and read and even seen something about this red eye box
So now I dare say I'm slightly more confused about what I need to purchase, than when I started.
For those that care to share their experiences...
What are you using and why that particular model or brand?
Many thanks in advance

There is an XLR output on the back of the Axe Fx that any sound guy can hook up a cable to. It's the same cable that he's use to mic a real cab with, only he won't need a mic. Invest in some Cabinet Impulse Responses and you'll never look back.

Sorry just re-read your sentence about the FOH dealing with line level. I wouldn't worry about it. Any sound guy worth his salt should be able to deal with levelling and gain structure etc.

No direct box for me, just plug the xlr into output one and I turn the front knob to about 10 o'clock. Sound guys love it!

I've heard about these mythical sound engineers who don't understand how to take a direct xlr out to FOH... but I can't say I've come into contact with one yet.

Straight out of the back has worked perfectly for me for the last two years and I don't see myself introducing another variable to the signal chain just for the sake of not having a conversation. It truly is as easy as taking the xlr (or two if you're running stereo) out of output 1 and inserting it into the relative channel input/s!

I've heard about these mythical sound engineers who don't understand how to take a direct xlr out to FOH... but I can't say I've come into contact with one yet.

Straight out of the back has worked perfectly for me for the last two years and I don't see myself introducing another variable to the signal chain just for the sake of not having a conversation. It truly is as easy as taking the xlr (or two if you're running stereo) out of output 1 and inserting it into the relative channel input/s!

Right on. Haven't had the chance to use Axe live yet, so I wanted to have all my gear sorted and not be wishing I had bought this or that DI box while I'm on the road
Like you, I'm all about fewer components in the signal chain.

Reactions: LAC
I haven't quite slapped my Axe-FX rig together yet (working too much...a good problem to have!), but my plan is to send a slightly different signal chain from Effects Loop block > Output 2 > DI > FOH. I bought a Radial ProD2 stereo direct box...our keyboard player and FOH guy swears by 'em. I don't want to send 'verbs and stereo delays to the house due to drastic differences in venues; best to leave that stuff up to the guy out front. I'll give him mono delay and a mild split from a stereo cab. But I'll be monitoring stereo chorus, delays, etc with reverb thru Output 1 XLRs to our in-ear console. It's also nice to have a separate master EQ strapped across each output pair.

I wish I could do the Out 1 -> FOH and Out 2 -> Stage. However, I use a Roland GR-55, which goes into Input 2, which requires using the FX Loop. When the FX Loop is present, Copy Out 1 -> Out 2 is disabled automatically. I really wish this could be changed in a future Firmware, as I never actually use the FX Loop as an effects loop, just a second input.

Used to happen to me, I've posted about it a few times in the past.

I still carry my DI, but it's just for others to borrow now mostly.

If my output is too hot from the XLR out on the Axe-FX, I just turn it down for them. Never a problem really.

I just tell them the AxeFx has a builtin DI and go.

I also carry some DI's in my kit. I have the Radial JDI, Countryman and a couple of boutique DI's, Aguilar DB900 and A-Designs REDDI.

Richard

Keyboards are fine with DIs because that's how they've done it for years.

A guitar processor? That'll blow up the mixer, duh.

I'm using a Radial ProD2 fed by OUT1 unbalanced, as I prefer transformer isolation from FOH, just to protect my equipment. The OUT1 balanced XLRs do feed my wedges.

I second (or third...) what the others have said. The XLR out is completely level-controllable by the front panel knobs, so you can give them as much as they want to match the gain structure they have on their end. It's the same as any line direct, like a keyboard. Never had an issue, most love not having the bleed or (when outside) wind noise to contend with that the standard mic/stand setup introduces to the guitar signal.

It's been my unfortunate lot to run into a majority of small-town sound guys who are superstitious about running xlr direct in. While I know that the level can be controlled with the Axe Fx output, I grow weary of having to talk these guys down out of a tree. Also, I HAVE seen boards with blown mic preamps due to line-level signals pushed too hard through them. (Not due to the Axe Fx, but it CAN happen.) To my understanding, the XLR outs on the Axe Fx are great to feed a set of powered monitors, but by design (see manual and wiki) are not intended to feed a mic preamp. Besides, those preamps are going to color your tone. Maybe not a big deal, but you've spent all those hours splitting hairs to get your tone just PERFECT, and now you have to run it through Behrenger pre's? Thbbbppt! My fix: a couple of 2' Pro-Co XLR-F to TRS-M cables do the trick well. You can then run the Axe direct to actual line-in inputs on the board, or just plug directly (w/xlr) into the snake, and toss the sound guy your adapter cables. If he's still confused, use them to strangle him. Adapter Cables = cheaper than D.I. Boxes.
P.S. Don't actually strangle anybody, okay?

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom