DI-style Bass w/Axe-fx II Studio Compressor and Darkglass B7K - Happy!

Hey guys,

Not to knock the SVT sim, which I've had a lot of success with, but I decided that I would try to get a more modern "dirty" tone with my bass recording by going with a DI-style recording method. I set up 2 signal paths, one covering the lows (lowpassed at 300 Hz), and one fed through the effects loop into my Darkglass B7K, then through a filter (highpass at 400 Hz). These went to a mixer to help balance signal levels, and then to a studio compressor set up like an electro-optical compressor (LA-2A style), into a filter and GEQ, and then recorded. The mixing that was done afterward was pretty standard modern bass mixing practice and some saturation. The sound you're hearing is quite close to the original signal coming out of the Axe-fx II. :pride:

I haven't tried the SVT post-FW 11 beta, so I'll be giving it a shot again soon (this clip was recorded with FW 10.12).

Oh, and the B7K was set on the thin setting with the boost switch on. The blend was set at full blend, the level at full, and the drive at about 3 o'clock. The EQ knobs were all hovering somewhere around noon. This pedal seems to interact very precisely with the EQ, and I find that small changes make a pretty significant difference in the overall feel and sound of my bass.

Back
Top Bottom