DI sound with AxeFX?

Kind of a crazy musing, probably a noob question, but how would I make the equivalent of a mic+DI setup? Would I just split into two rows of the grid and have one just go straight thru and then adjust the volume of each row? Or would there be something more to modelling a DI?

Thanks,

Rik

Hi Rik,

Yes, that would work. You could also merge the DI signal back to one row after the AMP and CAB block should you wish the DI signal to be affected by effects blocks.

What's the end goal here? To play live with a blend of amped tone and a DI signal, or to record a separate clean DI track in your DAW?

In Axe Edit, you have your signal chain with your amp block in it. Create another signal with shunts from start to finish. Then in the output section, pan them accordingly. I have (somewhat lengthy) YouTube video on recording Wet and Dry signals, as well as digitally reamping your tone, live.

EDIT:

Recording through USB, Input 3 is always the DI track. So when you record have 2 tracks set up, one to whatever you normally use as input 1 or 2 and the other as output 3.

That's how I do it.

Last edited:
I might be missing the point of this thread, but isnt output 3 always the DI track. So when you record have 2 tracks set up, one to whatever you normally use as the input and the other as output 3.

That's how I do it.

I thought the Axe FX only had two outputs?

I believe it is possible for your DAW to record the Axe FX input (1 or 2) signal which negates the need for a second row of shunts and panning. I believe this is possible because I accidently selected the wrong input source on my track in pro tools causing just the DI signal to be recorded.

I'm not in front of my rig at the moment, but I can check if this is still possible when I am home later.

I thought the Axe FX only had two outputs?

I believe it is possible for your DAW to record the Axe FX input (1 or 2) signal which negates the need for a second row of shunts and panning. I believe this is possible because I accidently selected the wrong input source on my track in pro tools causing just the DI signal to be recorded.

I'm not in front of my rig at the moment, but I can check if this is still possible when I am home later.

You're correct, so I just checked my set up and how I run this.

I use my Axe as my audio interface and record through the USB. When you select your Input in your DAW, it is Input 3 actually, not output. My mistake.

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't really thinking about recording, although it's pretty useful to know that I can get a clean feed from USB input 3 for re-processing later! I was really thinking about noodling with a bass, and I remember that using a mic along with a DI was quite cool, since you could blend the ambiance and speaker warmth with the stronger and more punchy DI signal. But I also know that DI's are not transparent and don't behave like a tube input stage - they're much higher impedance for a start. So the axe input models the amp input, which would be good for the amp simulation but not so good for the parallel "DI" branch that is a shunt from start to finish. It may not even matter - I was just wondering if there's a standard solution you guys go to - so thanks for the input!

Note that there are 2 "wet" (1/2) and 2 dry, aka "DI", (3/4) channels via the USB interface. These map to the left and right effected and dry signals respectively.

Back
Top Bottom