DI Recommendations / Suggestions

Regarding this thread, I still think he isn't talking about DI boxes only.

Correct. I've written this before and two other people understood and answered.

I think he is referring to DI as direct injection to a recording system or Mixer, and his question is "what is best, using or not using a box that is also known as a DI."

Correct. "Can someone please provide the latest best practices? DI box or not? Hookup suggestions etc."

This was my first post. Did you really not understand that line and feel the need to rewrite my first post as, "what is best, using or not using a box that is also known as a DI.?"

Opinions from people who have used and continue to use or have stopped using DI boxes is what is desired and its been difficult to find discussions regarding that specific topic.

Thanks Chris for condescendingly rewriting my initial post(s) which other people understood and have answered from their "best practices" when using DI, DI Box, DI Unit, or not using anything at all.

Would you like to hijack this thread and argue if Low Pass Filter should be called High Cut Filter? We can, but can you PM me instead as I'm trying to get more info about DI, DI Box, DI Unit or no DI when using the AXE FX whether for live or in the studio use.

Note: You should take some time and read how Scott Peterson and Trazan reply to people here. There's lot you can learn about tone and "your way".

Now back to DI/Reamp talk.

For example: Attached screenshots using no DI box. This is an old example (+6db. Before the Out 2 mod) hence why I made the original post.

PIC 1 = DI/reamp+mono.jpg: dry signal and mono amp signal (mono) on OUT1 (and SPDIF) (-> dry right, with amp left)
PIC 2 = DI/reamp+stereo.jpg: dry signal on OUT2 (just record ONE signal mono) and stereo Amped signal on OUT1 (and SPDIF)

Attachments

• PIC1.jpg
    PIC1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 15
Chris I think he means doing things like asking why he thought he needed a DI. You and many others ask questions like that around here and honestly I think it is irrelevant. It doesn't really matter why someone wants to do what they want they just need to know how to do it. I think you know a lot of stuff and for the most part I appreciate you but I can see how some can take you the wrong way

This is the exact reason I hesitated to post this thread because I knew Chris would jump in with, "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!?!" If I'm hesitating to ask a question after using the Axe for 5 years I can't imagine how other users feel.

I was really hoping others would reply even if giving the "misunderstood" answer (which I cleared up) since I can use it as reference later.

On a kinda related note, there are a couple of decent reasons to use a high quality passive DI box (like Radial JDI). One is to lower the level into a mic preamp which is the typical circuit behind the XLR inputs of a mixing console. The AxeFx's line level output can really overpower a mic pre. The other is to transformer isolate the AxeFx from the next piece which can help with ground loop issues and common mode noise signals. Also, a passive DI will block phantom power. Phantom power is not supposed to hurt the AxeFx, but an ounce of prevention... I don't like the idea of 48V feeding into my unit's output. All that being said, I usually use the XLR outs into a mic pre (have to keep the output level really low and use the console's pad) and just make sure phantom is turned off. What can I say, you gotta know the rules to break 'em, LOL!

On a kinda related note, there are a couple of decent reasons to use a high quality passive DI box (like Radial JDI). One is to lower the level into a mic preamp which is the typical circuit behind the XLR inputs of a mixing console. The AxeFx's line level output can really overpower a mic pre. The other is to transformer isolate the AxeFx from the next piece which can help with ground loop issues and common mode noise signals. Also, a passive DI will block phantom power. Phantom power is not supposed to hurt the AxeFx, but an ounce of prevention... I don't like the idea of 48V feeding into my unit's output. All that being said, I usually use the XLR outs into a mic pre (have to keep the output level really low and use the console's pad) and just make sure phantom is turned off. What can I say, you gotta know the rules to break 'em, LOL!

Thanks super helpful. I was having the same issue with the Outs being too loud into my mic pres and having to use the pad as well.

How about recording a dry signal along with your wet signal?

I record dry bass + amp all the time.

I use all analog and split at the DI:

bass -> DI -> AxeFx -> DAW
-------------------------> DAW

I have a DI (Radial JDI) just in case I ever need it, but I don't use it with the AFII at all unless there is some bizarre situation where I do need it.

My buddy swares by a live wire passive di with an attinuation switch built in. It is inexpensive. He always DI's to FOH to avoid having to have the talk with sound guys

Just wanna add that Chris, together with Rex and others, is among the most helpful members here these days. Always answering and contributing in a constructive way. Give him some slack.

Just wanna add that Chris, together with Rex and others, is among the most helpful members here these days. Always answering and contributing in a constructive way. Give him some slack.

+10 on this. It took me many posts into this thread to get what the OP was asking. In this kind of question, a little more explanation about what you're trying to do and what problems you're having goes a long way towards getting the info you need.

+10 on this. It took me many posts into this thread to get what the OP was asking. In this kind of question, a little more explanation about what you're trying to do and what problems you're having goes a long way towards getting the info you need.

+10 again on this - Chris's videos are amongst the most informative, well thought out and easily worded of any tutorial vids that are out there, all done, free of charge for the forum members, and out of an appreciation for the Axe FX...

Chris's quote - "What I say and suggest are all my opinion and I'm trying to help. I've helped many, many people on this forum. If you disagree with my solutions or suggestions, that's fine.
But asking clarifying questions and stating facts is hardly condescending " I think was really true

I clicked on the link to see what the question was concerning DI boxes as I have a few decent DI boxes and it made me wonder if I should be using them - and the original question posed by GVSB15 was very open-ended:
"Can someone please provide the latest best practices? DI box or not? Hookup suggestions etc., I've spent the last couple of hours going through many old and misinformed threads. It shouldn't be this difficult to find accurate info. Thanks so much. "

GVSB15's question didn't refer to re-amping, recording, live, studio, frfr, 4cm, IEM, or one of a hundred other ways of hooking up and combining the AxeFXII to gear, and as a result, there are hundreds of ways of hooking it up, and there are tons of specific topics and threads in this forum covering each of those, (most of which, eventually say read the manual)....so I certainly thought Chris's question was a valid response, even with a link to one of his videos showing how to hook it up to a PA system, and I read on to see what GVSB15's response was so I could learn more about how he ( or she?) uses/plans on using a DI box.

Oh well, to each his own I suppose, I still love my Axe FX II, this forum, and I look forward to seeing Chris's next video, and perhaps GVSB15's video series as well.

Cheers all,

Craig

No offense, but if you want to be understood, then writing in complete sentences and formatting those sentences with proper grammar helps people understand what you want to know.

Also, I don't know Chris, but it seems to me that he gave a perfectly valid response to your initial question and then later tried to help people understand your question better, all in an attempt to get you an answer that you will find useful. Chris did not ask "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!?!", he asked why you were thinking about using a DI box.

No offense, but if you want to be understood, then writing in complete sentences and formatting those sentences with proper grammar helps people understand what you want to know.

Also, I don't know Chris, but it seems to me that he gave a perfectly valid response to your initial question and then later tried to help people understand your question better, all in an attempt to get you an answer that you will find useful. Chris did not ask "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!?!", he asked why you were thinking about using a DI box.

Show me my incomplete sentences and lack of grammar. If you don't understand what "best practices" means when using a DI box or not I don't know what to tell you. You need to read the thread a couple of more times my man.

Last edited:
f you don't understand what "best practices" means when using a DI box
I am sorry and Lord knows I don't want to argue but that statement is very poorly written in terms of clarity if question goes and most of us did not understand what you meant. I answered your question based on what I thought you meant but I was not confident that I was answering in the correct manner. My first thought thought was to say imo best practice is to use output 2's unbalanced 1/4 out to connect to the DI and use a short cable for that then use xlr outs to your powered wedge assume you use one

I am sorry and Lord knows I don't want to argue but that statement is very poorly written in terms of clarity if question goes and most of us did not understand what you meant. I answered your question based on what I thought you meant but I was not confident that I was answering in the correct manner. My first thought thought was to say imo best practice is to use output 2's unbalanced 1/4 out to connect to the DI and use a short cable for that then use xlr outs to your powered wedge assume you use one

Your answer was perfect and very helpful.

I lelt it open ended on purpose because I wanted to know how people were working with their dry signal for whatever application it may be. Whether it be during recording or live use or whatever. No answer should be wrong.

Your answer was perfect and very helpful.

I lelt it open ended on purpose because I wanted to know how people were working with their dry signal for whatever application it may be. Whether it be during recording or live use or whatever. No answer should be wrong.

"no answer should be wrong", yet Chris's initial response certainly was, according to you.

Can someone please provide the latest best practices? DI box or not? Hookup suggestions etc.

I've spent the last couple of hours going through many old and misinformed threads. It shouldn't be this difficult to find accurate info.

Thanks so much.
Your first sentence doesn't complete your thought. Your second and third sentence are incomplete.

I've used DI's in many different applications (studio, live ect.) through the years, and I was unable to fully understand the OP original question, other than "hey let's talk about DI".
I also found Chris's answer balanced, not condescending and read from it an honest intend to help the OP get the best answer possible.
Chris even followed up stateing why he asks the questions he does - I find the his reasons intirely valid and often ask the same type of questions for the same kind of reasons.
The only snarky and snippy remarks in this thread are directed towards Chris from the OP, which I think is very unfair and truely bad form.
When you ask for help - treat the ones trying to help you with a bit of respect or you'll likely run out of poeple willing to help you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom