Devildriver - Clouds over California tone (clip and patch)

RiF

Inspired
Here's my attempt to nail Devildriver's tone of the song Clouds of California. They quad-tracked with Rectos and 5150's using EMG-equipped guitars AFAIK, but I used the DAS METALL model to replicate that tone with my Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock PAF pickups, great guitar, best metal guitar I ever played and I have an EMG-equipped Charvel, too). The small lead is played with that same patch.
Almost needless to say, that my Axe-Fx made me very happy... I really love Devildriver's tone and did not even dream that I will get that close to their tone before I got my Axe-Fx a few weeks ago.

There's no mix EQ on the guitars, just a bit of reverb, McDSP Analog Channel 2 and IK's Opto Compressor on the guitar bus and Analog Channel 1 and a Stillwell Limiter on the master. Because of all this Analog Channel stuff, the patch will sound a bit brighter than this recording.

Whaddaya think?

As always, the patch (fw 7.18) is included in the attachment.
The clip can be found at netmusicians.org right here.

Attachments

• RiF Devildriver.zip
    441 bytes · Views: 431
I forgot... The patch is "donation ware", where the donation is posting any information about how you further improved or modified the patch here.
Any other feedback (goor or bad) is highly appreciated, too.

It sounds really good RiF!!!!!! I haven't heard the original Devildriver song, but the tone sounds thick!!! Good stuff!!!

D20 said:
It sounds really good RiF!!!!!! I haven't heard the original Devildriver song, but the tone sounds thick!!! Good stuff!!!
Thanx D20, that nice reply entitles you for a free download of the next patch I post. :cool:

i got my ultra yesterday and went through entire presets but didn't find any good sound for heavy stuff. your clip blows me away. absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!

afxfan said:
i got my ultra yesterday and went through entire presets but didn't find any good sound for heavy stuff.
Same here.
afxfan said:
your clip blows me away. absolutely amazing!
Thanx!! I am glad you like it.
afxfan said:
Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome and have fun with you Axe-Fx. If you're new to the Axe-Fx and you're into metal tones, check out this thread: Share your secret metal tone ingredients

Re: Devildriver - Clouds over California tone (clip and patc

@Rif- Do you have an updated devildriver patch using Firmware 9.03...??? Your patch sounds amazing!

decipher said:
@Rif- Do you have an updated devildriver patch using Firmware 9.03...??? Your patch sounds amazing!
Thanx! I'll check... I tweak my patches all day... As soon as I have hooked up my Axe-Fx to my MIDI ports again and installed the new editor, I'll post an update. But to be honest, I liked my patches better back then and did not nail some of my patches using the latest firmware ;-(.

wow :eek: :) , how the hell do you do that?
Getting a patch to sound pretty much identical... It really rocks man!

I don't have my Axe yet but this will be one of the first ones I'm gonna try out.

Thx for sharing the patch...

RiF said:
decipher said:
Thanx! I'll check... I tweak my patches all day... As soon as I have hooked up my Axe-Fx to my MIDI ports again and installed the new editor, I'll post an update. But to be honest, I liked my patches better back then and did not nail some of my patches using the latest firmware ;-(.

so some presets you posted earlier like "RIF DevilDriver" can sounds different in 9.03 ?

Not my kind of music but I like your sound/tone better than the original. Great playing too!

Back
Top Bottom