Detune ???

Fab51

Hi guys.

I'm playing in a cover band with 3 different singers so it was demanding to detune my guitar too often. I ended buying a Digitech Whammy DT that permits me to play with a lower or higher tunning without loosing "too much" sound quality.

I'm getting my FX8 soon and I was wondering if it's possible to have a detune effect on the FX8 as the one on the DT? And if it's good enough to think about selling Whammy ? And if it's possible does it use a lot of processing power of the FX ?

Thanks !

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

It does but it's not as good as the digitech plus it's harder to setup where as the pedal changes turnings at the twist of a knob.

I highly recommend a tropical auto tune system for your guitar(s). You can change complete guitar tunings within seconds. Tuning down digitally results in a worse tone to my ears.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the answers.

For your propositions :
Owning many guitars is an option yes ! but I made the choice to buy an expensive guitar that I really dig playing than buying 2 or 3 that I won't fancy as much as mine (Vigier Excalibur). I'm planning to buy another one but not this year...I really love the mayones duvel, I'll have to save more money (and the whammy was a really cheap choice).

For the tronical, I never heard of it but it seems a cool solution, I'll try to take a look into it. Do you use it ?

Maybe I'll stick with the whammy DT at the first since it can be controlled with midi by the FX8 and same some processing power on the FX. I need to look at that tronical gear a bit more to see if it's compatible with my guitar.

Ya fair enough. I understand having a favorite guitar, and extra gear means extra weight which sucks :) Not sure about tronical, I bet if doing small semitone or maybe even single tone drop, it may work, but you really need to consider the string gauge of the lower tuning... intonation?? I'd love to know how much it affects this. Perhaps someone here can answer who has experience??

The pitch shift on the FX8 is very low latency and can definitely replace your pedal. I use it all the time to shift down a half or whole step. You'll notice it, but that's just how it goes with pitch shifting.

The factory preset Down a Full Step will get you started. Use that to build your preset or copy the block out of it.

Pitch Block

Try this 'Pitch Block'? It's from an Axe FX ll, mark 1. I read somewhere that the effect blocks were compatible?

It uses the 'ADSR 1' controller to very quickly (1 ms) turn the 'Mix' knob from 100% to 0% to mask the latency when you first strike a note. This lets just the original 'un-shifted' pick attack sound through at first, then returns back to the 'pitch shifted' sound (100% 'mix').

It's set for a 1/2 step down (voice 1 shift -1), but it's easily adjusted. Put it in the very 1st effect position for the best results......

Let us know if it works?

Edit.......I just realized that the actual settings in the ADSR 1 controller are not included with the 'Block' download. You have to go in and manually adjust them.

Attack.........1 ms
Decay.........1 ms
Sustain........1 ms
Release.......1 ms
Mode...........Once
Retrig..........On
Level...........100%
Threshold.....-27.0 db......You may have to raise or lower this slightly, depending on your guitar?

Attachments

• Moke's Drop Tune_20150927_094831.blk
    692 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited:
The pitch shift on the FX8 is very low latency and can definitely replace your pedal. I use it all the time to shift down a half or whole step. You'll notice it, but that's just how it goes with pitch shifting.

The factory preset Down a Full Step will get you started. Use that to build your preset or copy the block out of it.

The factory preset was how I went about setting up a few. Frankly, I found it unusable for clean sounds. Too much latency. But add a bunch of gain and it works a lot better. I'd hold on to your whammy DT or maybe just get the Digitech Drop to save some real estate. The best solution I've found is the Line 6 Variax if you like the guitars enough.

Wow great community here, really interesting discussion.

Brads4 : you're right about the string gauge concern with the tronical system. I have to drop down to one whole step even one and a half on maybe two songs and my strings won't support that I think. Or will sound worse than the DT.

Moke : I'm receiving my FX8 tomorrow. I'll give a go to that block and make some feedback here in any case some other people are interested in the results compare to the DT.

DavidE : I considered the variax at some point (especially for the detune and acoustic stuff) but I must say that I've been a long time line6 user and got really disappointed by their products and their customer service...that's one of the reasons I've bought a FX8 and not a Helix. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I find a cheap used one.
Are you happy with your variax beside the functionalities ?

I also play in a cover band and we occasionally use a dep singer who needs a number of songs in lower keys. I don't have time to re-tune or change guitars between songs (got to keep the punters dancing!) so I simply re-wrote the songs out in different keys to suit the singer. I have them on my iPad as a guide, especially for the more complicated arrangements.

However, there are certain songs that just have to be played in the original key and in the original way and a key change just doesn't sound right. We just don't do those songs with the dep singer!

This doesn't answer your questions, but I feel your pain!

Try this 'Pitch Block'? It's from an Axe FX ll, mark 1. I read somewhere that the effect blocks were compatible?

It uses the 'ADSR 1' controller to very quickly (1 ms) turn the 'Mix' knob from 100% to 0% to mask the latency when you first strike a note. This lets just the original 'un-shifted' pick attack sound through at first, then returns back to the 'pitch shifted' sound (100% 'mix').

It's set for a 1/2 step down (voice 1 shift -1), but it's easily adjusted. Put it in the very 1st effect position for the best results......

Let us know if it works?

I just realized that the actual settings in the ADSR 1 controller are not included with the 'Block' download. You have to go in and manually adjust them.

Attack.........1 ms
Decay.........1 ms
Sustain........1 ms
Release.......1 ms
Mode...........Once
Retrig..........On
Level...........100%
Threshold.....-27.0 db......You may have to raise or lower this slightly, depending on your guitar?

Thanks for the block Moke but it's not compatible with the FX8... Or maybe I did something wrong : it's telling me that the block was edited with firmware 19 or 20 (axe fx?)

By the way, I messed a bit with the detune of the FX8. Well, it's nice for goofing around but not the sound quality and the tracking that the DT delivers.
The DT really shines when it comes to polyphony. And the FX doesn't cut it in clean like said DavidE.

I'll stick with my DT and control it with the midi function of the FX if it's not too hard to set up. Would be the best of both worlds.

When I get some time, I'll record some samples to make people hear the difference

Back
Top Bottom