Desktop Monitors

Genelec 8010A.

I've lauded these little monsters consistently and they are incredible monitors for their size. Stereo imaging is excellent and the range for a 3" driver is very impressive. Can be fairly inexpensively paired with a sub to extend the low end. Small enough to throw in a bag for moving around which I've done to various hotels etc. Great little speakers.
Do you find them detailed enough? I remember hearing them demoed and some of the layered guitar tones seemed to get lost, but I'm not sure whether that was just how they were set up. Thinking about trying these again just because of the build quality and that they would fit on my work desk without looking obnoxious.

@markc I forgot to mention this in the original post.
Clarification: The computer in the family room already has a pair of basic speakers for the jam along music.
I want the new pair of speakers only for my guitar sound.

So I am concerned with any Bluetooth connection and latency. Thanks!

"With bluetooth" does not mean "Only bluetooth". It means you'd wire them to your computer or FM3 normally and have the normal wired connection, but if you wanted to play something from your phone to jam along to you could use bluetooth for that instead of needing the additional wires. It's not quite your use case because you are planning to use separate speakers for your guitar than the music you're playing along to, but could still be useful as a portable practice rig as you could bring them with you and plug the FM3 in and use your phone to play youtube/spotify and jam along.

Do you find them detailed enough? I remember hearing them demoed and some of the layered guitar tones seemed to get lost, but I'm not sure whether that was just how they were set up. Thinking about trying these again just because of the build quality and that they would fit on my work desk without looking obnoxious.
Absolutely, they are just excellent speakers for their size. I listen to all types of music and media and these are focused, transparent and powerful enough.

I have a pair of the 3" Mackie Monitors. I got them for $80 shipped & they sound good. I've been jamming guitars & listening to music with them extensively for the last 3 years with no regrets. 👍
I just picked some of these up and they are great for home use. Totally agree.

Hey man I recommend you to try the Iloud Micro (I have the MTM which are 100w) but I think is too much for what you need. But the Micros are ideal, they are very similar to Genelecs and half the price.

I’ve had the mackies also. And if you’re looking for budget monitors they’re just fine. But as reference monitors they’re not great and you’re presets will not translate to a live setting. They’re not flat and lack a lot of definition in the whole frequency range.

I've got the iLoud Micro but don't love them all that much. They're too bright/shouty, not all that fun to use. I'd be curious to try the Presonus at some point.

I've got the iLoud Micro but don't love them all that much. They're too bright/shouty, not all that fun to use. I'd be curious to try the Presonus at some point.
I just bought the iloud micro monitors for when I am not in the studio and/or just a small quiet jam, me and my laptop (and they can get pretty loud too), all I can say is wow. These are great. The key is to find the right input (rca much better than the 1/8 TRS) and the right settings for your room. I am running all settings flat. They are great. I have the Yamaha HS8's and I compared them side by side. They hang pretty well for a 3" speaker up against the 8" HS speaker. I have no regrets and would recommend them for a practice pair for the Fractals. I also have 2 Friedman ASC-10s but can't always fire them up due to noise levels, they are mostly for gigs and full band rehearsals anyways.

I just got a set of Iloud mtm. Once they were room calibrated and positioned at ear level, the sounded stellar. They also translate great to my pa speakers.

Back
Top Bottom