Description on the Store Page

DavidE

Power User
Anything we didn't already know?

Features
  • The AX8 contains 512 different presets arranged in 64 numbered banks.
  • Each preset is like an entire rig, with its own amp, speaker cab, and effects.
  • 222 “Quantum” amp models utilize the same technology as our flagship Axe-Fx II.
  • Ultra-Res™ Speaker Cab sims provides a level of accuracy that only Fractal Audio Systems can offer.
  • AX8 is also compatible with our entire library of Cab-Packs.
  • Presets are extremely flexible with the familiar “Layout Grid” from the Axe-Fx II. You can even import blocks created in Axe-Edit.
  • Most blocks offer X/Y switching for twice as many sounds from the same number of blocks.
  • Each preset contains eight scenes. Think of a Scene as a preset within a preset. Scenes eliminate “tap dancing” by turning multiple effects on or off with a single tap, switching X/Y states, and more.
  • Every preset can have its own custom footswitch 1-8 assignments. There are over 16 different useful “Footswitch Blocks” such as “Scene 1/2 Toggle” or “Looper Control Mode”.
  • Footswitches can also be designated as “GLOBAL”, which gives them the same assignment across ALL presets in the AX8.
  • Three assignable Function Footswitches offer over a dozen options so you can create the perfect layout of “modes” for your musical performances.
  • On-board jacks for four external footswitches or expression pedals like the Fractal Audio Systems EV-1 make it easy to remote-control sound functions.
  • MIDI and USB also provide powerful options for control, editing, and more.
  • AX8-Edit, a free software editor, makes it possible to edit presets, effects, and more when connected to a Mac or PC.
  • And much more! AX8 firmware is upgradeable, so the best can always be yet to come...

Nice.

I like that there are 4 expression pedal inputs. I was always surprised that there were only two on the FX8.

Nice.

I like that there are 4 expression pedal inputs. I was always surprised that there were only two on the FX8.

Space used by the relay jacks likely. The 4 on the AX8 can be used for expression pedals or switches. That's a nice option.

I also like the global switch assignment. Perfect for a lead boost you want on every preset.

Yes, the Global Switch assignment sounds great - but the effects block will have to be in every preset for it to work - that is assuming you do it using a block. There may be other ways to assign a boost globally without using a block (I typically use the Filter block set for a 3db boost). Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'm wondering, can one expression input jack control 2 expression switches, like on the MFC? (I'm assuming so, since it takes a TRS cable...)

Yes, the Global Switch assignment sounds great - but the effects block will have to be in every preset for it to work - that is assuming you do it using a block. There may be other ways to assign a boost globally without using a block (I typically use the Filter block set for a 3db boost). Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Yes it would be nice to assign a global block but maybe the manuals have more info or we need to wait for something like that in future.

Yes it would be nice to assign a global block but maybe the manuals have more info or we need to wait for something like that in future.
If you assign an EFFECT BLOCK to a GLOBAL footswitch, and the EFFECT is not in your LAYOUT grid, then the footswitch block is grayed out and the footswitch does nothing.

I'm wondering, can one expression input jack control 2 expression switches, like on the MFC? (I'm assuming so, since it takes a TRS cable...)
it can't on the FX8 or the Axe-Fx, so I'd think no on the AX8 as well.

note that on the MFC-101, they are dedicated Switch ports, separate from the Expression Pedal ports. all on-board jacks of the Axe, FX8 and AX8 are just "pedal" jacks serving double duty.

If you assign an EFFECT BLOCK to a GLOBAL footswitch, and the EFFECT is not in your LAYOUT grid, then the footswitch block is grayed out and the footswitch does nothing.

OK, thanks for the info. I guess it makes sense for routing the block for a specific effect chain scenario rather than having a first (or last) global effect block across all patches and patch configs -- but I'm all new to this world of Fractal systems programming - will study the manual inside-out when it's available.

Yes, the Global Switch assignment sounds great - but the effects block will have to be in every preset for it to work.
If you assign a Global Switch to something like Scene 1/2, then you have a Scene 1/2 switch in every preset.

Back
Top Bottom