Derek Trucks/Slide Presets sounds anywhere ?

msmith886

Inspired
Anyone out there ever come close or heard of someone having something close to Derek Trucks slide type style presets anywhere ?

derek just plugs straight into a fender (and a reverb tank if the amp doesn't have one). simplicity itself.

Yeah I know just didn't know if there were any good presets out there for slide that would be something similar possibly.

^^ This...IIRC his amp of choice is a 4x10 65 super reverb although he does play PRS amps when he jams with the Allman bros.

I play slide a lot in our shows.

Fairly recently switched from Les Paul / 335 to Stratocaster.

I find the Fenders to be a little bright for slide and my action is fairly low. I play with a Coricidin bottle and glass is naturally a little bright.

I switched to a SLO100 and couldn't be happier.

The extra gain helps me with a lighter touch / lower action still get that buttery slide tone.

I play a LOT of glass slide as well, mostly all std tuning. There are so many great amps in the Fractal for it. Be sure to kill the noise gate if you are good with slide dynamics and dampening.

I'm currently using a LP into the Double Verb and don't find it bright but I always roll back my tone knob for slide no matter what amp.. Superverb kicks butt too. Sounds great. As suggested the SLO rocks too (a la Mr Haynes). The 1959SLP works well too. Or any of the vintage marshalls(cranked) as well for that same Duane vibe.

Another great amp for slide is the 65 or 59 Bassman.

There's just so many... :)

PS- the latest firmwares (esp quantum) really kicked things up a notch for slide IMO. The sustain & bloom just kicks butt now.

Last edited:
I heard that he replaced his 4x10's with car speakers when he was in a bind, and liked it so much it became a permanent thing, prob one of the reasons his tone sounds a little grittier than a normal super

For what it's worth, this is the description Derek posted on his website after all of his gear was stolen about 10 years ago. He was asking fans to scour the country for these speakers to put in his replacement Super Reverbs.

'The exact speakers we are looking for are 10" Pyle Driver 1040 -8 Ohm (not the remake Weber DT-10s)'.

I would also love other to hear other people's patches for getting his sound.

Fairly simple setup from what I've seen. SG into Fender Super Reverbs for a lot of the Tedeschi Trucks Band stuff. Add a Coricidin bottle and a giant pile of talent. A lot of his sound comes from his technique. Watching him play is rather hypnotic. He makes it look effortless. So precise and mechanical in his technique yet so expressive and almost vocal in character. His wife Susan is a great player as well and has an outstanding voice.

A lot of his sound comes from his technique. .

Exactly right, his nuance and technique IS his tone. I think he may likely be the best slide player that's ever lived. I will say regarding his tone though, I saw him a few years ago and his amp crapped out mid-performance, while his tech was scrambling to fix it he plugged into a PRS head and cab and kept going. Now while his tone was decidedly Derek, I could tell it was a little off, didn't sound quite right. The super reverb definitely compliments his tonal integrity in the most beneficial way(if that makes any of sense).

Back
Top Bottom