Deployment

Dendrite

Inspired
In the next few weeks I’m going to be deploying to the Middle East, returning late spring/early summer of ‘19.

Any deployment has it’s challenges, and this time I have a unique one: Considering the AX8 isn’t going downrange with me, do I keep it? Alternative would of course be to sell it. Then when I return, get a shiny new one (though it wouldn’t be made in the US anymore). And in the off chance FAS has released something new, that would be on the table.

But I really don’t want to sell it!! I love this thing!!

Anyone have the right answer for me?

Military or contractor? I've done both...6 month stint in Iraq with the corps and then about 5 years contracting in various countries. Military deployment I didn't bring any gear, but I had a full (digital) setup at all times while contracting.

If you're not hurting for cash I would just keep it. That thing will still have years and years of quality life left when you get back.

Very true, I could keep it. I’m leaning that way, in fact. Lots of other things to get done right now without shipping this out. And keeping it means it’s ready to roll as soon as I return! We’ll see, but thanks for the opinions-

@ChainOfThought : Active duty navy. I was in Iraq w the Marines back in 07, so being in the sand is hopefully still in my comfort zone.

Very true, I could keep it. I’m leaning that way, in fact. Lots of other things to get done right now without shipping this out. And keeping it means it’s ready to roll as soon as I return! We’ll see, but thanks for the opinions-

@ChainOfThought : Active duty navy. I was in Iraq w the Marines back in 07, so being in the sand is hopefully still in my comfort zone.

Are you going out on ship or is it a land deployment? I did a year on a MEU and always kept a guitar & a pod or other such device on ship with me.

Either way, I'd keep it. You have the option of taking it out with you and being that guy, or just leave it at the house/barracks/whatever and it's one less thing you need to do when you get home.

Feet dry the whole time. And seeing that if I want it I have to carry it, I’m a bit weight limited. If I get there and it would work out I might consider shipping some stuff over, but too many unknowns right now to count on it.

Navy Corpsman?

I must be a Horder or sorts. I don't sell my stuff off like a lot of guys I see around here. I don't mind having a "collection" , or a backup , if I like something.
It's like the guys that felt they had to sell off their AX8 , when the III came out ?
I don't get it. Even if your are strapped for cash , if you sell something you like , and plan to buy it again later ( when you have time to use it ) , where's the logic in selling for less , and re- buying for more ?
Regardless , thank you for your service.

I must be a Horder or sorts. I don't sell my stuff off like a lot of guys I see around here. I don't mind having a "collection" , or a backup , if I like something.
It's like the guys that felt they had to sell off their AX8 , when the III came out ?
I don't get it. Even if your are strapped for cash , if you sell something you like , and plan to buy it again later ( when you have time to use it ) , where's the logic in selling for less , and re- buying for more ?
Regardless , thank you for your service.
I get your point... I’d only add that having a wife and kids, in my situation, means a) I have to be somewhat forward thinking if I want to get new gear, and b) I have to be somewhat obvious with it so the kids can see me modeling responsible purchasing. Once the kids grow up and move out... game on :)

Navy Corpsman?
Nope, but I have to leave it at that for now.

I get your point... I’d only add that having a wife and kids, in my situation, means a) I have to be somewhat forward thinking if I want to get new gear, and b) I have to be somewhat obvious with it so the kids can see me modeling responsible purchasing. Once the kids grow up and move out... game on :)

Nope, but I have to leave it at that for now.

Gotcha. If you're planning on upgrading at the end of it with some of that deployment money, then maybe go ahead and sell it and be done with it. I don't see any reason why the ax8 would lose any value on the market over the coming months though, so I think it would be whatever is logistically easier for you to deal with. Only other thought would be if you sell it now then you might definitely have to buy something when you get back... If you wait till later and something else comes up over the few months, then at least you still have the ax8.

Keep it, here's why:
  1. It's unlikely that a replacement for the AX8 is coming out anytime soon, so it'll be the latest and greatest when you redeploy stateside.
  2. If you have it when the new thing comes out, whenever that is, you can roll the proceeds of selling it into the cost of the new thing (demonstrating responsibility).
  3. If you sell it now the proceeds are just going into the general fund and spent on groceries or diapers or whatever.
  4. Even if it stays cash then you have to have that whole justification for spending it on a new thing and you'll have to work twice as hard to get to a point where you have anything again for as long as it takes to wear down Household-6.
  5. Then you owe quid pro quo, probably starting over again at the point where you were before you got the AX-8 to begin with.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Yeah, I’m thinking keeping it is the right answer. Though I think I’ll let one of my amp playing band mates keep hold of it while I’m gone. Maybe I’ll come home to another FAS convert!

Thanks all. Yeah, I’m thinking keeping it is the right answer. Though I think I’ll let one of my amp playing band mates keep hold of it while I’m gone. Maybe I’ll come home to another FAS convert!

Make sure your boy understands a strict "You break it, you buy it" policy is in effect. I wouldn't lend out something like that to someone who can't afford to replace it.

If you've built good presets for it, of course you should keep it. You'll have to start from scratch if you buy something else. FWIW I'm keeping my Axe FX 2 forever, even if some newer model cures cancer or adds the "talent" knob.

As to the deployment, best of luck to you while there, and thank you for your service.

If you've built good presets for it, of course you should keep it. You'll have to start from scratch if you buy something else. FWIW I'm keeping my Axe FX 2 forever, even if some newer model cures cancer or adds the "talent" knob.

As to the deployment, best of luck to you while there, and thank you for your service.
Thanks man.

Though I’d def buy a new one if they implemented a talent algorithm. I’m keeping it.

Back
Top Bottom