Demo IR's (BigBox)

FYI, Yek has a very nice selection of free presets he created for FW18.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...update]-g3-preset-collection-xl-starters.html

Thanks, but I don't need help creating presets, I already do this for a living and have a list of credits working guitar tones for people like, Bonamassa, BadCompany, SteveStevens, Mitch Malloy, Leroy Miller, Madonna Tour, Kate Perry tour, Gunthrie Govan, Jake Wilson, etc etc etc.. and I do them in the same way & knowledge as I do now.. Absolute no difference, (accept its specific for them) but its still "broad" when they get it, same as these patches are.

Im not going to change the way I do things, its more finishing a product I started!.. there are 30 speakers/and 450+ Presets, there will be some bad ones but some gems too.. its natural. - unfortunately with the internet, people are often outspoken on the negative things, and often write what they want. but they don't then write the good stuff.. its been the same for years. so it is what it is. - the end of the day, I'll do what I can, and do the VERY best job I can to make things as equal and presentable as I can, if they are not for you, then that's the answer..

Im convinced that the last 7 months has not been a waste of time, and there is a LOT of value in this, it just has to be recognized. - I cant fight the variation in peoples speakers/guitars/play-style.. so I have to just make do with what I know and what my experience tells me...

The thing is.. with this you have my support this time next year..2 years from now. etc. If people put there trust in me, then I do the same to them. and are loyal to the programme.

Yek is a great guy with great knowledge (he is one of my beta testers) - but his patches wont work for me as they do him, same as mIne wont work for him as they do me.. as I'm like ClarkKent in that respect, I need to be very specific as im terribly anal about what I need/want no-one will ever be able to create a patch I will use... - but if his works for you over mine, then great.. you know you have found your thing and stick with it!. and that's great!. sorry I couldn't be of service..

thank you for posting demos.
I figured out that preset concept is not working for me. I keep in mind your words "not to mess with Amp+Cap", so I don't mess, just listen through patches. As a result those clean patches sounds nowhere nearly clean here, I believe that's because I use humbuckers.
Vintage amps patches sound great but metal ones sounds outdated to my ears, It sounds like metal from 90's but not from 2015
Demos doesn't make me feel like I want to purchase the whole pack. (I own your Legends pack and enjoy it)

I hope most people will like your approach. Maybe it's a good idea to explain which pickups you've used for clean patches at least, so people don't ask why it's not clean at all?

But anyway thank you for experimenting and giving us a choice, some people are always suspicious to something new, maybe i'm one of them :)

A lot of you guys are REALLY missing the key point of these, IMHO. The killer thing about this is that the cab block is dialed for the amp block; by the dude who shot the IR and had access to the cab at the time, no less. You can fix gain staging with your guitar or other FX/signal chain issues at your end but having these matched pieces is huge, it has been maybe the only weakness in Fractal's component/block based modeling approach versus something like the KPA and this addresses it. The cab settings have been in a vacuum prior to this. Complaining about gain staging or amp settings in individual presets is missing the forest for the trees.

Color me stoked.

My work flow with these is gonna be: demo->grab one that feels good and sounds close to what I want->dial the amp the rest of the way->season with FX to taste->rock. This is a great idea. I expect my tones to sound and feel great with this new set.

Last edited:
A lot of you guys are REALLY missing the key point of these, IMHO. The killer thing about this is that the cab block is dialed for the amp block; by the dude who shot the IR and had access to the cab at the time, no less. You can fix gain staging with your guitar or other FX/signal chain issues at your end but having these matched pieces is huge, it has been maybe the only weakness in Fractal's component/block based modeling approach versus something like the KPA and this addresses it. The cab settings have been in a vacuum prior to this. Complaining about gain staging or amp settings in individual presets is missing the forest for the trees.

Color me stoked.

My work flow with these is gonna be: demo->grab one that feels good and sounds close to what I want->dial the amp the rest of the way->season with FX to taste->rock. This is a great idea. I expect my tones to sound and feel great with this new set.

exactly...at worst they can be considered great starting points or showcases for amps/cabs you might not dial in otherwise....at best they can be near gig ready patches you can rock. No one is claiming they'll be perfect from every set up right out of the gate...that will never be the case with any preset no matter who dials it in.

Thanks, but I don't need help creating presets, I already do this for a living and have a list of credits working guitar tones for people like, Bonamassa, BadCompany, SteveStevens, Mitch Malloy, Leroy Miller, Madonna Tour, Kate Perry tour, Gunthrie Govan, Jake Wilson, etc etc etc.. and I do them in the same way & knowledge as I do now.. Absolute no difference, (accept its specific for them) but its still "broad" when they get it, same as these patches are.

Im not going to change the way I do things, its more finishing a product I started!.. there are 30 speakers/and 450+ Presets, there will be some bad ones but some gems too.. its natural. - unfortunately with the internet, people are often outspoken on the negative things, and often write what they want. but they don't then write the good stuff.. its been the same for years. so it is what it is. - the end of the day, I'll do what I can, and do the VERY best job I can to make things as equal and presentable as I can, if they are not for you, then that's the answer..

Im convinced that the last 7 months has not been a waste of time, and there is a LOT of value in this, it just has to be recognized. - I cant fight the variation in peoples speakers/guitars/play-style.. so I have to just make do with what I know and what my experience tells me...

The thing is.. with this you have my support this time next year..2 years from now. etc. If people put there trust in me, then I do the same to them. and are loyal to the programme.

Yek is a great guy with great knowledge (he is one of my beta testers) - but his patches wont work for me as they do him, same as mIne wont work for him as they do me.. as I'm like ClarkKent in that respect, I need to be very specific as im terribly anal about what I need/want no-one will ever be able to create a patch I will use... - but if his works for you over mine, then great.. you know you have found your thing and stick with it!. and that's great!. sorry I couldn't be of service..

Pardon me, but I find this over reaction to my sharing a link to Yeks creations (for those that might be interested) quite defensive and offensive. You sound like someone questioned your abilities as well as made a personal attack on your creativity.As a long time fan of your work on the Kemper I am rather shocked at your response. My earlier post in this thread expressed my enthusiasm in getting your presets. I must admit after this tirade Im a bit less enthused.

i tried all of the demos last night. To be quite honest, at first i wasn't blown away by any of them but i quickly realized that it was purely a gain staging issue. I am using a strat with somewhat hot pickups so most of the patches i had to dial down the gain. once done the presets sounded really nice. My instinct is that i would probably buy the IR's from the Big Box set once its released - but mainly for the IR's and NOT for the presets. the presets is just icing on the cake but is by no means THE cake. I am sure for some these Preset/Cab combos are going to be a HOT HOT seller b/c it just makes things easy, but I am a studio guy and sound design is my thing so I love making my own patches. I love the concept and i am sure that many users on this forum can benefit from this. Keep up the good work we appreciate your efforts!!

Pardon me, but I find this over reaction to my sharing a link to Yeks creations (for those that might be interested) quite defensive and offensive. You sound like someone questioned your abilities as well as made a personal attack on your creativity.As a long time fan of your work on the Kemper I am rather shocked at your response. My earlier post in this thread expressed my enthusiasm in getting your presets. I must admit after this tirade Im a bit less enthused.

Then I apologize, I guess words can be the worst enemy, it was not an attack, as Its a mixed communication thing, as I saw yours as a "Hey look at this, this is how to do it, and posting other peoples work in a different persons thread did not seem cool to me," post. - anyway, that reply was not just to you. so please, don't take it personally. and I publicly apologize if it was offensive toward you. that was certainly not my intention.

i tried all of the demos last night. To be quite honest, at first i wasn't blown away by any of them but i quickly realized that it was purely a gain staging issue. I am using a strat with somewhat hot pickups so most of the patches i had to dial down the gain. once done the presets sounded really nice. My instinct is that i would probably buy the IR's from the Big Box set once its released - but mainly for the IR's and NOT for the presets. the presets is just icing on the cake but is by no means THE cake. I am sure for some these Preset/Cab combos are going to be a HOT HOT seller b/c it just makes things easy, but I am a studio guy and sound design is my thing so I love making my own patches. I love the concept and i am sure that many users on this forum can benefit from this. Keep up the good work we appreciate your efforts!!

Yeah that's cool, sound design is important, well luckily for you.. Im doing this different to most of my other stuff, Im splitting up the Pack into various ones, so you can buy Just the IRs separately, so that will suit a lot of people who like to do their own thing : )

This thread isnt about Yeks presets. We know you were just trying to be informative and we LOVE Yeks stuff but on this particular thread it seems a bit out of place to place a link for someone elses presets. The Amp Factory is trying to introduce us to their product line and you post a link to anothers product... His response was a bit off putting and defensive i agree. But maybe it wasn't the smartest choice to post Yeks link... All good though.

Disappointing registration process. Had similar trouble on the Amp site trying to purchase Cab Legends when it came out. Had to register 2 different names till the registration finally came thru on the second, then the first showed up a day later. I did buy it.

:? Bone-headed user error on my part. APOLOGIES Andy!!!

Congrats on the release!

Last edited:
I'm super excited for the pack. Having the cab dialed into the response of the amp is a fantastic idea.

And I agree with some others. The point is not that the presets will sound perfect out of the gate. It's so that the Irs will work like real amp X is connected to cabinet Y. Cliff once stated his interest in developing a dynamic load sensor thingy for using an Axe output to a cab. That's why he included the Speaker page in the amp, to tailor the P.A. response to suite the IR used. Ony problem is knowing how each cab affects each amp and being able to adjust settings accordingly. That's where Andy comes to save the day.

As an owner and (still) user of the first TAF cab pack, I trust Andy's ear to dial in good tones. I'm looking forward to try out the demos when I have a chance.

Andy, I'm sorry if this is already addressed and I've missed it, but are the IR's captured with the latest Mix+DI technique?

Downloaded and tried the demo presets. With just a minor tweek to gain they sound great with my Jackson Soloist SL1! I think this approach will open new doors to those of use that prefer playing to extensive tweeking the Axe FX.

Are the presets for Axe Fx II or Axe Fx II XL? I downloaded the demo pak but could not get output from any of the presets using my Axe Fx II, FW 19.00.

Bundles sound really good Andy! found myself losing track of time on the Lead preset :) Loving this concept ! looking forward to the rest !

The killer thing about this is that the cab block is dialed for the amp block; by the dude who shot the IR and had access to the cab at the time, no less.

This is my thought exactly. Very intriguing to say the least. Unless I've missed something here (and I may have after currently enjoying more than a few "adult" beverages), like you said, this theory puts the end user about as close as possible to the IR producer's point of reference regarding their expectation and/or experience during the IR shoot. I am curious as to what the game plan is when future firmware changes ultimately make the presets no longer representative of those original references though.

still havent had a chance to try , hopefully will after work today , but isnt adjusting the input trim, gain and the amp output block par for the course when downloading any patch from axe change ? especially clean tones .I have never download one clean tone that didn't need tweaking in the gain staging for my guitar and playing to keep it clean

don't think anyone can epxect these to be any different. it takes like 30 seconds to get it right

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom