Deluxe Tweed Question

ssmorga78

Experienced
So, is there any way to emulate jumping the channels like you could on a real world 5E3 Tweed Deluxe? Just curious as I have seen this done on the real world model ..... is there anyway to reproduce that in the Axe?

Unless they modeled it I don't think so. Having said that I have a Painter 5e3 and have setup my blocks/channels....based on going back and forth with my amp. At the lower setting of input at 3 it is pretty dead on the same as into my bright side with no jumper. My higher channel at 8 is closer to the bright on 8 and normal jumped around 9 or 10. It has the jumped thickness to it at that point. Being able to A/B them gave me a warm fuzzy feeling as it sounded and felt like my amp.

It's a special bird. The second volume doesn't just add gain. It adds gain to about 3 or 4 then compression to about 9 or 10 then a mid cut. You would really have to compare them using maybe the input trim along with the depth and to get the mid cut if you went in that territory an eq adjustment. Still love what the stock amp accomplishes in comparison with my real amp.

Even more fun is to *not* jumper the inputs and use the cathode coupling below the input stage cathode cap's cutoff frequency to add bass and cut mids.

Just turn it up above 3 o'clock on the normal/mic channel, then plug into the bright/instrument channel and dial in that volume and tone where you want them, then tweak the normal/mic channel volume to adjust the mid cut....

Leo saved a dime or two not having separate cathode cap and resistor, and inadvertently created this low-frequency out-of-phase coupling between the two inputs which was beneficial, as it created a mid dip that helped the guitar sound better.

A deceptively simple amp, but quite versatile if you know this trick. Neil Young uses one that was hopped up to use 6L6 outputs, and has the "Whizzer" unit on top to precisely twiddle knob settings for a few key sounds he likes....

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom