Delete

I feel like its the neck I´m not comfortable with. Maybe I should have bought a LP with a 60s neck, they are slimmer I believe. But I´m no LP expert at all. I thought I had to have a LP because a couple of my favorite guitarists play LPs and I like the sound of it, but not when I play it. Seems like I´m a Strat guy :)
there’s usa 60s, slim profile and 2 variations available on a historic reissue 1960 fyi.

Wont be hard to offload an R9 at a reasonable price.

I'd love Seymour Duncan or someone to put out a video with the same player, guitar and amp and demo every pickup they make one after the other.
Duncan actually used to do this. For $5, they'd send you a CD with all their pickups played by the same guitarist, same studio, same amps (Fender and Marshall, I believe). Then, they made the sound files available on their website, but all this has been 20 years ago now.

Based on my experience, both Duncan and BKPs sound clips are pretty accurate, but they're only really useful in comparing pickups from the same manufacturer. Many builders will exchange one pickup for another if you don't like it, too. Worth checking on before spending money, at least.

Again, based on my experience, there's more difference between manufacturers than there is between pickups of similar output from the same manufacturer. There's not a lot of difference between a Duncan '59 and a Pearly Gates, but neither is likely to be mistaken for a Distortion. Same with BKP, the Mule and Stormy Monday are very similar, but not even close to a Warpig.

I agree that there's not much to go on without jumping in, and it can definitely get spendy quick. Opinions really are like, well, everybody's got one, but forums are a good if not always reliable sources and there are some good clips on YT and the manufacturer's websites. I listen to as many as I can find and try to figure out what sounds the same between them, because that's more likely to be the pickup's influence and not the guitar, amp, player, or recording. But, I've had personal experience with many (many) pickups, too, and nothing has ever sounded exactly like I've expected. Like others have said, it can quickly become an intimidating and expensive proposition.

I've also found that, in most instances and until very recently, almost all stock pickups in any guitar aren't as good (for me) as the rest of the guitar may be. It's like the electric parts (not just pickups) are an afterthought in too many cases, no matter how much the guitar cost. I will say, though, that PRS, Gibson, and Fender (and most smaller mid & high-end builders) have all seriously upped their game over the last 5-15 years. Hopefully, that trend will continue.

To the OP, the stock pickups in your Epiphone are closer to PAFs and are maybe not the best choice for the sounds you're looking for. (I think you've figured this out, too.) In my opinion, which just an opinion, is that any of the higher output pickups mentioned here will get you a lot closer to where you're wanting to go. Look for a company that will let you exchange pickups if you aren't happy with your first choice and you'll be able to find something that will work better for you without spending a ton of money.

Edit: @Seabhac , just wanted to draw your attention to my last paragraph.

Back
Top Bottom