Delay Question

CipherHost

Experienced
I'm working on a preset and found this:

"a subtle tape delay effect generated by sending the solo track to a separate four-track recorder and cascading track one into track two, track two into track three and track three into track four."

I've looked at the wiki and manual, but I'm not getting how to do this. Is it possible with one or more blocks?

Thanks

I was thinking the multi-tap / multi delay blocks generated separate delays off the original signal, not cascade from one delay into another.

Last edited:
Depends on the mode. Quad series runs the four delay lines in series (one into the next). The Quad Tap and Quad Tape delays have the four taps in parallel.

Do you have a recorded sample of what you're trying to achieve? The description is kind of vague. With no feedback mentioned, cascading the 4 channels of a 4 track into each other would basically just give you 4 equally spaced taps assuming the signal goes to both the output and the next channel at the same time. The delay time would be set by the distance between the record and play heads on the 4 track (all four channels are typically handled by a single head with four side by side tracks across the tape, so it would likely be pretty short at decent tape speeds. If the delay time is 100ms, you'd hear a tap at 100, 200, 300, and 400 ms.

If the signal cascades to each channel and not to the output at the same time, you'd end up with a single tap whose delay time is the sum of all four channels individual delay time. So if the delay between the record and playback heads is 100ms, you'd just hear a single tap at 400ms.

Part of the vibe must be the cumulative hi cut and saturation of the four record-play round-trips. Whether they chose the technique to produce that effect, or the effect just happened when they used the tools they had at hand, we're not likely to ever know.

Don't have the block diagram of the series delay handy, not sure if it can filter and saturate between series delays or not.

Ah, great song. Needs more cowbell! :p

For the ambient lead parts, it sounds like maybe a short slap delay with the four taps from the four track trick, coupled with the good sized dose of plate reverb like they mention in the article.

Always loved that looooong feedback note at the end of the solo and how it just sort of trails away slowly. Pretty cool about what they said about pushing the guitar headstock against the amp to get that feedback.

Back
Top Bottom