Delay lowering volume between 2 patches

55bar

Inspired
I have to put around a 2db level boost in the delay block when going between scene 1 no delay to scene 2 delay, is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to put around a 2db level boost in the delay block when going between scene 1 no delay to scene 2 delay, is this normal?

Yes, you are moving signal into delay and away from dry. That is what the mix in the block does! 100% clockwise on mix= no dry/all delay.

Yes, you are moving signal into delay and away from dry. That is what the mix in the block does! 100% clockwise on mix= no dry/all delay.

I thought the mix gives you a wet and dry not an actual level, I only have delay set at 15% it's the level knob I'm using to boost the loss I'm hearing.

This was changed with FW 11:
Changed mix law for Delay block. The dry signal now stays constant at unity until Mix reaches 50% then decreases linearly to zero. Conversely the wet signal starts at zero and then increases linearly to unity when Mix reaches 50%. This eliminates having to compensate for decreased dry signal when increasing the mix.

Changed mix law for Delay block. The dry signal now stays constant at unity until Mix reaches 50% then decreases linearly to zero. Conversely the wet signal starts at zero and then increases linearly to unity when Mix reaches 50%. This eliminates having to compensate for decreased dry signal when increasing the mix.

Excuse me for butting in, but... given this mix law, and given that the original poster says he has his mix set to 15%, he should be getting the dry signal at unity, and he should NOT be getting a 2db level loss.

So even though this reminder of the mix law is useful for the discussion, it is not an explanation for the 2db loss.

@55bar: what is your signal chain? Is your delay block in series or parallel? Can you post a screen shot? Someone will probably be able to help you, but more info is needed.

Post the preset if possible.

Which Axe-FX model and firmware version?

Is this block DELAY or MULTIDELAY?

If you stay in scene 1 and engage delay with level at 0 dB, does dry level get reduced?

Does anything other than delay bypass state change between scenes 1 and 2? Check output block MAIN slider, all block XY and bypass states, scene controller values if used.

Post the preset if possible.

Which Axe-FX model and firmware version?

Is this block DELAY or MULTIDELAY?

If you stay in scene 1 and engage delay with level at 0 dB, does dry level get reduced?

Does anything other than delay bypass state change between scenes 1 and 2? Check output block MAIN slider, all block XY and bypass states, scene controller values if used.

Hi Bakerman,

I can't hookup my computer to my axe as its in an orchestra pit right now. Here
51cc5fc90b12ad6153477693159b9216.jpg
7fac1578b720f47a677fd9c58a44a708.jpg
27cb6d1a1b027c40f325bae3527a0163.jpg

The bypass mode is mute fx out. Nothing other changes between scenes. The delay is a stereo delay.

What's your control setup? If you disconnect the controller and change scenes via front panel does the volume drop occur?

Did you try engaging the delay while on scene 1?

With delay INPUT GAIN temporarily set to 0% does the volume drop occur? This will rule out perception (dry harder to hear with delay added) as the reason.

You have a volume block in the preset. Could this have been a simple error like you bumped a pedal, fixed one scene and didn't notice everything was louder with pedal at 100% again?

At this point if you haven't found what's causing it, I'd take a careful look through the preset again. If you can upload a video, the most useful things to see would be a view of the grid while on both scenes in question, plus cycling (per scene) through all blocks via EDIT button to see XY states plus output and input blocks. Stay on bypassed blocks long enough to see X or Y instead of just BYPASSED. Also include a shot of the CONTROL: MODS page.

Photos would be as good as video but it would require about 35 photos.

Last edited:
The preset will tell all, when you get a chance. Don't you have all of your presets backed up in you computer? Shame on you:eagerness: BTW you need to set the delay block bypass mode to 'Mute fx in' to preserve the delay tails.

Oh, I skipped a bunch of FW updates back then! Maybe I should go back and read the release notes. Thanks!

The preset will tell all, when you get a chance. Don't you have all of your presets backed up in you computer? Shame on you:eagerness: BTW you need to set the delay block bypass mode to 'Mute fx in' to preserve the delay tails.

Thanks. Re preserving the delay tail, does this mean between scene 2 and say 3 the delay will still sound? If this is what you mean it's preferable for me NOT to have.The conductor will not be happy once he gives a cut off he doesn't expect back chat ;)

Back
Top Bottom