Delay Dialing In

i have a Mark I with 19 beta 2 and got this error log when trying to load the Block file:

Axe-Edit/blocks/Delay/Dual-Golden-001-Admin-M_20150528_130415.blk:

The block was saved using firmware version 19.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

Last edited:
Using the DUAL DELAY, you can easily create "golden" echo by setting both sides to 1/4 and setting R TIME RATIO to 61.2%
Here's a little example of such an echo:

I played a little chirp at the end so you can hear the times clearly.

Here is the preset to download:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Golden Echo Juniors - by Admin M@

and the Block:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Thank you ever-so-much for posting this.

(No need for a t.c. 1210 when you have an AFII replacing everything else in a rig...)

So I'm on FW 19 Beta 2. I add the block to my folder, close axe-edit, open it back up, and I get an error message that creates a log in my workspace. The error log says that Matt's block was saved using FW version 19.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware. So strange. Anybody else getting this message?

Me too :-(

Thanks Matt anyway, it sounds great

Won't load on my AFX2 Mark I, FW 19.0b2

/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/blocks/Delay/Dual-Golden-001-Admin-M_20150528_130415.blk: The block was saved using firmware version 19.00 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware.

Using AxeEdit 3.1.10

OSX 10.10.3

Last edited:
So "golden" may be trending, but let's not neglect the kinds of "washes" you can achieve with aligned rhythmic tails. The Axe-Fx allows you to do some very subtle and powerful things in this regard. Here, for example, is a very basic dual delay: 1/8, plus dotted 8th. I added a little cross-feedback -- as it evolves, the sense of width is reduced because the common center material takes over. I've got R TIME OFFSET at 99.2% so things don't stack too precisely as this happens. Imperfect was as good as you could get in the days when you would have had to do this with two separate pedals. VERY minimal playing achieves a lot of sound.

And because we're talking about vintage digital, I've set BIT REDUCTION to 11. (I know, I know... who ever heard of a 13-bit effect? But with the Axe-Fx, YOU decide what you like.) I let the last tail ring so you can hear that nasty little layer of grit. Even when it is relatively quiet compared to the louder passages, this adds an interesting texture to the whole sound -- like how the noise of an amp creates continuity. I remember how I sometimes used to "hate" that nasty sound. Now I sometimes tweak it back in with nostalgic appreciation. The EQ of the delay is set to taste with some high cut, low cut, and a little bump at 2.6k.

I'm playing a Les Paul Jr. (P90s, I hit the pickup switch from MID to BRIDGE at 30 seconds).
The delay goes in to two "Hipower" amps with the stereo factory Hipower cab.
A stock punchy PEDAL 2 compressor (pre) and a barely there STUDIO compressor (post) are in line.

I programmed a cheezy lofi drum machine because I felt it was important to show how pushing/dragging into the long delay tail creates a human feel even though the drum machine and echoes are quantized. There are NO buss effects or EQ. (I did draw in a slight velocity curve on the hihat to create a pulse.)

And here is the preset (XL+, because that's all I have hooked up anymore.)

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Old DigiDelays - by Admin M@

Here is an image of the preset layout and Delay params:
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/MP/Axe-Edit-old-digi-delays.png

And here is the BLOCK:

Attachments

• Old Digi Dual_20150529_115441.blk
    531 bytes · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hey M@, thanks for sharing those power preset programming tips!

Really cool to get an insight into some of the block parameters in the context of "why" you might change them.

So "golden" may be trending, but let's not neglect the kinds of "washes" you can achieve with aligned rhythmic tails. The Axe-Fx allows you to do some very subtle and powerful things in this regard. Here, for example, is a very basic dual delay: 1/8, plus dotted 8th. I added a little cross-feedback -- as it evolves, the sense of width is reduced because the common center material takes over. I've got R TIME OFFSET at 99.2% so things don't stack too precisely as this happens. Imperfect was as good as you could get in the days when you would have had to do this with two separate pedals. VERY minimal playing achieves a lot of sound.

Cool and simple example M@-man, thanks for the time. Can I ask what that signal chain looked like? Not the specifics, just how you laid out the preset? DLY > AMP > CAB > REV? I am going to try this with DUAL DELAY with 1/4 and dotted 4's with the 65% offset. I tried a little bit last night and it sounded pretty washy, but still needs a little work.

I edited the post to include a picture.

Thanks dude and again thanks for your efforts on this. Is there going to be a possibility of further "golden" development as a factory block? Or a different name with that functionality? I may be misinterpreting what that block was representative of, it was a custom delay block that FAS developed??

Appreciate the insight and help of the ambient dual delay concept that some of us are looking for!!

I think I'll do a series of delay preset posts like this. How should I structure it? One long thread? Individual posts? Should I just keep this one going? My next one will be an eternal echo which stays out of its own way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom