Deep rack for power amp

MotherSea

Experienced
I'm really reluctant to buy a 18+" depth rack if I may end up not needing the space. But then again, there are quite a few power amps that require that room (especially to remain plugged in). I'm really attracted to Carvin because I know they can fit in a 14", but who knows if that's the power amp I'll end up with. Any advice? Bite the bullet and have the room or are the shallower options good enough? Also please recommend amps :mrgreen:

MotherSea said:
Also please recommend amps :mrgreen:

Ok I've had it running with a MB 2:90, Marshall 50/50 and a QSC GX3 and I gotta say running in to a 4X12 using the Axe FX power amp sims sounds as good as the valves and you can tweek things that are not possible to with valve power amps. And the GX3 isn't the best quality power amp there is either! Am running FRFR now and would not go back (though might get a better QSC power amp one day.....)

If you've set ya heart on valves the some guys here like the VHT/Fryette 2/50/2 and 2/90/2 though, which I've not used.

larger racks depth wise have advantages, you have extra room to mount a plug lock for wall warts, and everything doesnt seem as crampt... and you have more room to set stuff on at a gig :)

I use an ART SLA2 power amp and a 14in Gator rack. Two brackets on the map protrude byond the back of the rack,m when the lid i off, by about 1.5in. There's not as much room in the rear lid for stowing cables, but enough to work fine. The ART is good, but heavy compared to the Mesa Boogie 20/20 it replaced.

Are you able to leave your ART plugged in in that 14" rack? I'm guessing no, although maybe with right angle cables.

I assume you mean plugged into a power strip inside the rack? I don't actually use one as it is a 3U rack with just AxeFX and poweramp. I unplug both when I pack it up.
For a taller rack, I imagine you couldn't leave it plugged unless using a right angle plug, as you suggest.

Back
Top Bottom