Decided to buy an AXE-FX. Need help!!

Kohe321

So I just decided to pull the trigger on an Axe-fx ultra. I already own a Krank 4x12 cabinet, so I am going to run it through that, which means I am going to need a power amp. I was thinking about going for the Carvin TS100-E http://www.carvinworld.com/products/sin ... 0-E&cid=56 . Good choice?

Now I am completely new to this, so I have no idea how I would set it up. What cables do I need? Could anyone give me an easy step-by-step on how to hook the axe-fx up to the power-amp? From there I'll just plug the power-amp into the cabinet using the 16ohm connectors.

If you hook up from OP 2 you can use standard instrument type cable (TS) but you will have to drop an FX block in the signal chain to activate that OP. IF you hook up from OP 1 you will need to run an XLR to TRS Balanced cable and there will be no need to use an FX block. The down side is if you want to use OP 1 to send a signal to FOH you won't be able to. The WiKi and the Manuel should both cover this type of connection. If you already haven't gone their this link has a wealth if info to get you going. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=79

Okay, which OP would you chose if you were to plug it into the a Carvin power amp, and then into a 4x12 cab? And what does front of house mean, exactly? :p

Thanks for the links, by the way.

You need to put an FXL (effects loop) block in every patch before the speaker block. You need to have your speaker block last and your FXL second to last to do this, you can't have effects after your speaker block since nothing after the speaker block will go to your amp onstage. The FXL routes the output to "output 2", which you would run into your power amp using plain old 1/4" cables. You do this so that the output to your power amp is "tapped" before the speaker block, so you don't have speaker emulation going to your power amp and then into your speakers.

Output 1 will automatically include the speaker emulation, and that one you can send to the board. You can use XLR's but I actually use a couple of guitar cables since the board is near my amp, and they work fine.

Just for grins, you may find that you want to use a speaker emulation in all your patches that is similar to the speaker you are actually using, that way what comes out in the mains sounds like what's coming out of your speaker cab onstage.

jojo said:
Just for grins, you may find that you want to use a speaker emulation in all your patches that is similar to the speaker you are actually using, that way what comes out in the mains sounds like what's coming out of your speaker cab onstage.

I spent a few hours last night trying to match factory IRs against by Bogner 2x12 cabs.
A mix of the stock V30 and JM2000 cabs, no mic, no air, no drive got me close enough for rock and roll .....

Back
Top Bottom