Debating returning my FM3 and using my AX8. Thoughts?

IAH, I was a bit bummed when I first got the FM3 first 2 days. I loved the AX8. Still have it of course. But once I started posting my questions and RTFM I was presently surprised. AS many have pointed out to me and others, Layouts are King. They are amazing. Chris's tutorials are also top notch. Many more videos will come also, from the likes of Leon Todd(2112), Chris and others.
I have no regrets at all ....My only regret is the same one I had with the AX8. I wish and did add it as a wish in AX8 forum, that EVERYTHING could be accessed thru the editor. I mean everything.
But, I can live with that. At some point I won't have to bend down and pick it up anymore because I will have the inner workings right and then edit will suffice. Didn't mean to rhyme there.

The demand was for smaller, lighter and more powerful. Oh and modular. We got exactly what’s we asked for.
There were also demands for more power in a floor unit. We didn't get that...

Many different sets of desires. Not all were addressed.

It is what it is :)

I'm coming from an AX8...I'm not returning my FM3 but I don't think the 3 switches is enough and I don't want the size of an FC6 added to my pedalboard...I think I'll end up with a 3-6 button midi footswitch...various manufactures.
I'm almost there with the 3 switches but too much tap dancing so far...I'm digging the FM3 and the interface...not selling my AX8 either.
I feel the FM3 sounds better. Is it night and day difference? No, but it is better.

There were also demands for more power in a floor unit. We didn't get that...

Many different sets of desires. Not all were addressed.

It is what it is :)
I did not do a side by side comparison, but I noticed the FM3 did utilize a lot of CPU quickly

I did not do a side by side comparison, but I noticed the FM3 did utilize a lot of CPU quickly
it seems to be similar to the AX8 usage in my opinion. i've been able to use more blocks on the FM3 compared to the AX8 in many situations.

I'm coming from an AX8...I'm not returning my FM3 but I don't think the 3 switches is enough and I don't want the size of an FC6 added to my pedalboard...I think I'll end up with a 3-6 button midi footswitch...various manufactures.
I'm almost there with the 3 switches but too much tap dancing so far...I'm digging the FM3 and the interface...not selling my AX8 either.
[/QUOTE

Seems like you can add more external pedals to the AX8. Am I mistaken? Are you also using external stomp boxes with your FM3?

Seems like you can add more external pedals to the AX8. Am I mistaken? Are you also using external stomp boxes with your FM3?
the AX8 has 4 pedal jacks. each jack can only host 1 switch (or 1 expression pedal).

the FM3 has 2 pedal jacks. each jack can host TWO switches (with a Y cable or TRS cable from a dual switch) or 1 expression pedal.

so yes, there are more jacks on the AX8, but the FM3 jack can host 2 switches while an AX8 jack can only host 1.

the FM3 pedal jacks when used with switches are also more powerful due to Stand-In switches allowing any function the built in switches can do, while the AX8 can only do limited things that are on the I/O CTRL menu.

Love the feel of the FM3 and I am learning to get by with fewer switches. However I am thinking I will keep my AX8 as well for those gigs where I want a more traditional pedal board layout. This is typically when it is not clear what tones I will need but want to quickly access a couple of primary pedals and quickly tweak them. It may be quite a while before we get back to gigging and by then I might have completely figured out how to make the FM3 fit those situations as well!

I’m sure there are good reasons, but I wonder why they didn’t just update the AX8 by adding USB & the newer Ares. It was a solid floor unit and worked well enough on the desk.

I’m sure there are good reasons, but I wonder why they didn’t just update the AX8 by adding USB & the newer Ares. It was a solid floor unit and worked well enough on the desk.
because the Axe2 generation of coding is done for the most part. once the Axe3 was created, it makes more sense to have a floor unit on the same code base rather than fully supporting two different systems.

the "newer Ares" can't just be injected into the Axe2 generation. if you mean an FM3 in the body of the AX8, well i'm sure people would have complained that Fractal can't come up with anything new. comparing to something like Digitech's RP series or Boss' GT series isn't the same. those are sold in retail stores, and marketing benefits from things being mostly the same. look at the typical boss pedal. solid for years in retail because of its "heritage." the Axe is a boutique unit, and judgment of those aren't the same.

i think the FM3 is a step up from the AX8 in every way, including footswitch count. sure there are less physical switches. but many people wanted something smaller and you can't have smaller with the same amount of physical controls. fortunately it's easy to add FCs or other switches or controllers to expand the rig.

i know people want a huge pedal board from Fractal with everything the Axe3 can do with 24 - 36 switches. but its cost of production, price for customers and other elements would probably out of this world for most people. $2000 is already a high mark for many. $4500 or more would be asking a lot. i mean just look at that number right there. yikes.

So far I'm really liking the FM! There is a steeper learning curve for setup of the switching but the tone is improved for sure and worth the extra time needed to figure it out. I just converted my Boston preset and was quite surprised at how much better it sounded.

In my opinion the FM3's ladder goes a lot further than the AX8 in terms of flexibility and portability once you understand the power that is packed into this little box!

Back
Top Bottom