Dealing with hot guitar

Another option would be to create a guitar specific preset(s).

Not for Input Clipping, that happens before any preset.

Its funny how wildly the input level seems to be between axe fx units. I have guitars loaded with EMG 81s and the Jim Root set and I still have to set the input level to around 80% to tickle the red. I set pickup height at 2mm for bass and 1.5mm for treble. How are guys only sitting at like 15%? Seems strange to me.

EMG 81s aren't actually that high output, they just feel hot and high output because of their compression and sound profile. Another thing is EMGs are technically supposed to be as close to the strings as you can get them without the string physically hitting them during playing. EMGs use a weak magnet and their active preamp makes up for that by boosting the level back up. This means they can be as close as you want and you don't get the issues with magnets killing sustain or pulling the string out of tune like you do with passive pickups.

The EMG 81 isn't nearly as hot as it's made out to be. I have another guitar with an 81 and it doesn't even tickle the red at 50%. I have to raise it to about 70% to tickle the red. It's about 4mm from the low string and I'm using 12s in drop c. I can't believe how much hotter the 57 is. Even at 5% it hits the red easily, but I do like the character of the sound better than the 81.

4mm from the low string seems like a huge distance. Or do you mean compared to the open string (rather than fretting at the highest fret where pickup height is usually measured from)?

4mm from the low string seems like a huge distance. Or do you mean compared to the open string (rather than fretting at the highest fret where pickup height is usually measured from)?
Yeah, it's more like 2.5mm fretted. I tried different heights when I first set the guitar up but there was nothing I could do to make myself like the sound of the 81. It sits good in the mix but I like the 57 and blackouts a lot better when it comes to actives. I want to try a set of fishmans next.

I want to try a set of fishmans next.
I have a set of Fishman modern fluence's in my 7 string LTD and they sing! Easily my favorite active pickups/humbuckers I've used. Ive been using active pickups for a long time and to me, these are the best.

They sound very natural and open, and with coil-tapping and active/passive switching I have oodles of tonal options right on the guitar. They are great!

I’ve got active Fishman humbuckers in one guitar that’s high enough that I have to drop the level to about 15%, I haven’t noticed a difference using my other guitars, including a Strat with single coils.
This is my experience as well. I put Fishman Fluence Classics in one of my guitars forcing me to reduce input level (20% in my case). I leave it at 20 even though none of my other guitars come close to the red. No perceived audible difference. I think you'd be fine to set per user manual recommendation above.

Active EMG have a tendency to clip their own preamp if the pups are too close to the strings. Common approach is to lower them a bit until the internal clipping goes away. Makes them sound more dynamic and less compressed as well at the expense of a bit of output level.

I have the Devin Townsend Fluence set and it doesn't clip, but my JP15 does on the low E string . I kind of hate the pickups anyway, Illuminator or something. Terrible muddy neck and the middle position honks. I tested and the clipping stops around the lowest end of the input gain.
I was always wondering why that guitar was so buzzy on cleans :D
Any pup recommendations for a JP15 then?

Back
Top Bottom