Dealing with Axe-Fx scepticism

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Where to begin? There's a long conversation on another forum that I only attended because the guys were bashing the Axe-Fx although none of them had even tried it. They seem to have made up their mind that Axe-Fx is just like Line6. I've repeated myself many times that if they haven't tried it they can't make arguements. Especially ones like this:

*Line6 is made of 0s and 1s just like the Axe-Fx so they are the same
*They don't believe Cliff has built the amp sims with schematics, instead they believe they are just like Line6
*They don't want people to use Axe-Fx because everyone will sound the same

AAAAAAARGH! :x

Commodore 64 was made of 0s and 1s and so is the newest MacBook so they must be the same thing. And how the F*** will Axe-Fx always sound the same when there are unlimited options on specifications we can use. And none of us are using the same guitar.

How do you guys deal with this stuff?

The worst thing they said was that "Real rockers would never use the Axe-Fx. Yngwie Malmsteen would never trade his Marshall into an Axe-Fx... he is so badass!" WTF?!?! Yngwie and tone in the same sentence?!

Too bad scepticism like this is fighting Cliff's business. Too bad people without "Axeperience" give out their own assumptions and people don't buy the Axe-Fx because of that.

(wow that's a cool word "AXEPERIENCE")

My advice, don’t try!
These ideas:
Clark Kent said:
*Line6 is made of 0s and 1s just like the Axe-Fx so they are the same
*They don't believe Cliff has built the amp sims with schematics, instead they believe they are just like Line6
*They don't want people to use Axe-Fx because everyone will sound the same

This is just stupidity hard at work. And usually (Fear = Stupidity)

If you’re not interested that’s fine.
If you’re happy with what you got, that’s fine.
But to start shooting your mouth off telling how it works and at the same time basically calling Fractal liars without so much as trying one.
Come on Clark! These people are not worth your time but your right it is a little frustrating.

And how much you want to bet half of these guys don’t change tubes, don’t experiment with tubes or anything like that. Some of them with older amps probably won’t even brother changing the electrolytic caps until there ozzing all over the amp.

Well yeah, that was my conclusion. They can believe what they want but the sad part is that their scepticism might be read as facts by other users. My arguements were copy pasting the thread where people tell what gear they've sold after getting the Axe-Fx. :D My secord arguement was that I can get more hifi tones out of the Axe-Fx than any recording artist in my country. Nah... some are open to the idea but most are just a-holes who (like you said) don't really understand how a tube amp works.

Why waste your time? Your clips that you have up at your sound click page inspiring. I have learned a lot from your posts already. Stay here and teach us axe-newbs. We will appreciate it.

The worst thing they said was that "Real rockers would never use the Axe-Fx. Yngwie Malmsteen would never trade his Marshall into an Axe-Fx... he is so badass!" WTF?!?! Yngwie and tone in the same sentence?!

wow. I dont own an AXE, but if I did, I wouldnt trade it for any Marshall...now, i personally like Yngwies sound, but thats the great thing about each of us, we like what we like...and I KNOW that AXE users like versatility....the best quote I heard from a newer AXE user was "I really tried to not hear one or play one because I knew it would destroy all I thought I know about electric guitar......and it did"....

Clark Kent said:
How do you guys deal with this stuff?

They way I handle it is to run direct at gigs where I have two AC-30s on the stage (that aren't even turned on) and then listen to all the people tell me after the show how good my guitar sounded and how you just can't beat that tube amp sound. Works every time. I feel fine and then I hop on a plane with my axe in one hand and my Axe in the other and feel just fine about leaving all the other gear home. The only thing that I feel bad about is that the client paid the sound company to bring the stereo AC-30 back line that I never want or use.

-Phil

I would let them stay in there world. I haven't seen Yngwie diss the Axe or any other hard core tube pro for that matter.

But I might mention that guys like Vai, Putrucci, Neal Schon and the rest of the Axe pro line up aren't real rockers because they have or use this tool.

Philip said:
They way I handle it is to run direct at gigs where I have two AC-30s on the stage (that aren't even turned on) and then listen to all the people tell me after the show how good my guitar sounded and how you just can't beat that tube amp sound. Works every time. I feel fine and then I hop on a plane with my axe in one hand and my Axe in the other and feel just fine about leaving all the other gear home. The only thing that I feel bad about is that the client paid the sound company to bring the stereo AC-30 back line that I never want or use.

-Phil

That's great. I love it. I love my tube amps but I can't wait to get my replacement Axe. Came in doa, should have a new one soon.

Just walk away and go play your guitar. I have fought the fight time and time again. It is simply a fight you cannot win. It is a lesson in 'choosing your battles'.

I saw Def Leppard at Redrocks a few years back and they had 4x12 cabs stacked 4 high from one side of the stage to the other. They were all cardboard. The whole back line folded up and fit in one trap case!
Cheaper than renting gear you don't use.

I'm thinking of putting a small model satellite dish on top of my rack and then having a picture of a room full of tube amps on my computer. When someone asks I'm going to say that I have a satellite uplink to my studio and they are actually hearing the amps in the picture. :lol:

As with all guitar gear discussion it's a dead end really...
No matter if you're into the Axe, real tube amps, that brand or that or what ever..
Musicians are what they are... narrow minded and plain stupid! ;)

If you say Bogner is the only way, there will take 5 sec before another one says it's shit.
You say Gibson, then the Fender mob will hunt you down.

I'll had Marshall's(JMP to JVM), ENGL's(Fireball to Savage SE), Randall(RM100)... and a few more.
Most of them sounded good to great!

The Axe is "just" another guitar product, I'll only scratch the surface yet..
Don't know much, but I do know it sounds great!

I know it's hard to stay out of the "fight", sometimes it's just fun.. most it's just plain stupidity :cool:

burner said:
As with all guitar gear discussion it's a dead end really...
No matter if you're into the Axe, real tube amps, that brand or that or what ever..
Musicians are what they are... narrow minded and plain stupid! ;)

Personally, I agree with this post and I'd like to add that a large amount of tone comes from the individual player... your best players can play through a pignose and make it sound like it's the most wonderful sounding amp ever. It's all made of of individuality, and what you think sounds good.

I think a lot of the Line 6 camp (I've owned loads of Line 6 stuff so I feel I can talk about them) can't see outside the Line 6 box.... although I must admit I have never seen a post on the net that states the Axe-Fx is crap, well outside of Line 6 forums that is. Personally I got tired very quickly of Line 6 stuff, once the market on modeling opened up. Makes you excited to think what modeling will be like 5 years down the road...

Guy's we have a saying- you can kick a pig all day and only teach it how to squeal :lol:
so it is with the church of closed minds brigade. They are watching the ARK' set sail and saying the rain will soon stop lets stay here and play. WRONG' tomorrow will come so be there
to meet it . Oh and about the NEW line6 unit rumour, it's like saying coke have a new can
coming out :eek: and its full of ?? coke thats what! nothing new inside. :lol:

Well it's a pretty pointless argument IMHO.

The Axe-FX is just like anyother piece of gear; it's a tool and not everyone is going to use the same tool to do their job. Nothing wrong with being anti-modeller IMHO.

Last time I looked the only person I need to please is myself. And no, I didn't say 'pleasure myself', I mean that the only person I need to make happy is me. Sometimes the Axe-FX does lead to touching myself though. :mrgreen:

It's a waste of time to argue it. If they want to lug around a ton of expensive gear or even worse, embark on an endless quest for tone that they'll never solve than more power to them.

Back
Top Bottom