DAW Automation with two AXE3s - Pro Tools

ChipS

Just wondering how do you guys connect two AXE3's when automating preset and scene changes with DAW?

I have it working on my unit, connected via USB, but I am not sure if I am supposed to do a separate MIDI track and connect the other unit with USB also, or should I use midi out of the first unit into the second one? I would just play with it and see what works, but my other guitarist (& other AXE3) lives in Fort Worth and I am trying to program the sessions for our next live show.

I am sure someone on here has done this

I haven't done it, but logic suggests messages would need to be sent via Midi on separate channels from separate midi tracks in PT.
You could daisy chain the AxeFx's and set each one to receive midi on their own channel.

I haven't done it, but logic suggests messages would need to be sent via Midi on separate channels from separate midi tracks in PT.
You could daisy chain the AxeFx's and set each one to receive midi on their own channel.

I was thinking about the separate channels method as well... have one listen to channel 1 and the other channel 2 and just midi out of the first unit into the second.

There isn't a reason why you couldn't hook them both up to separate USB ports and create two different midi tracks, is there?

I don't think the USB route is going to work, but no harm in giving it a try.

I suspect the AxeFx drivers are only going to recognize one unit at a time.

You need to do both via USB, and have them on separate midi channels.

The axefx3 does not support sending midi from usb to the midi out port.

Interestingly, I just switched both my units on and looked in the device manager and saw two instances of the drivers showing so maybe USB will work.

Whether USB or Midi is used, as long as the Axe's are set to receive on separate channels and two midi tracks are utilized in PT I can't see why what you want to do won't work.

Back
Top Bottom