DAW and OS upgrading worth the money?

Sammetal91

Power User
So I'm a Pro Tools 10 user running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a MBP with 8 gigs of RAM. But before I had the 8 gigs, I had 2 and noticed that whenever I'd use certain plugins (CLA, Izotope, Ozone I'm looking at you guys) they'd eat a lot of RAM and even spectacularly crashed Pro Tools a couple of times. So I upgraded my RAM to 8 gigs thinking life would become easier with more power to chug with. I didn't notice a significant difference and eventually realized that Pro Tools 10 can only use 3 gigs of RAM max. I was pretty annoyed of this especially when I found out that Pro Tools 11 can use much more RAM.

Rambling aside, do any of you think the upgrade of OS and to Pro Tools 11 is worth it as pro tools users? Pros/Cons?

I guess it's a case of whether it's worth it to you..?

If you simply can't get anything done with what you've got, then it's next to useless and you need to move on... however, if it's still working fine, then no worries :)

Oh and yes, we do all tend to be hopeless addicts so if you've got that itch, then sooner or later, you're gonna scratch it :encouragement:

We're still running PT 9.0.6 here at the studio on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with only 4 gigs of RAM. (2008 Mac Pro with 2 x 2.8gHz Harpertown processors) Every version of PT prior to 11 was a 32 bit application, hence the RAM consumption limit. PT 11 is a 64 bit application and can take advantage of much more RAM. Having said all that, we run quite a few CPU hungry plug-ins (CLA and Izotope Ozone 5, Alloy 2, and Spectron among them) with no issues. Sometimes you DO have to make concessions in the name of saving horsepower. We only use Ozone 5 on the master fader. But frankly, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by doing that. The EQ and compression in Alloy 2 is very similar to their counterparts in Ozone 5 (if not the exact same). So if I just need EQ and/or comp on an individual instrument or a buss, I'll use Alloy 2. (Also has a de-esser, limiter, exciter, and a very cool transient designer in it too.) The plug we have that eats the most CPU is Slate FG-X. Beast mode for sure. I can hear my CPU screaming, "Hey!! WTF?!?!". But again, that's something we use only on a master fader. Not that big of an issue. As an alternative, if you really love Ozone, (and I do) you could purchase Ozone 5 Advanced. Among other goodies that don't come in the standard version, you have the option to use each component within Ozone separately. Just wanna use the EQ from Ozone without anything else? It's there as a separate plug-in. Thereby reducing the CPU hit by a great amount. Everything within Ozone 5 is available as individual modules. Pretty cool. Did I help? Or are you more confused? Sorry!! :)

I have read PT11 is going to AAX plugins and abandoning RTAS.. So for example if you have purchased the instrument expansion pack, you'll need a version 2.0. (not sure how much at this point). It requires an iLok2 as well correct? So $500+ish for the upgrade from PT9

Is anyone using audio over USB successfully with Pro Tools (with the old mac driver). I was never able to get it working on PT9 on 10.6.8.

ps, I've started a thread on common 10.6.8 issues here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...now-leopard-readme-common-issues-support.html

Almost skipped over that part. And it's important! leagueofkruger is correct. Your current RTAS plugins will no longer function in PT 11. AAX only from here on out. Some companies already have AAX versions available, some do not. I think some of them are STILL on the fence as to whether or not they're going to do AAX versions. Also worth mentioning is that some plug-in manufacturers might charge for the move to AAX. AS much as I love PT because of my familiarity with it and it's ease of use for me, Avid really knows how to shoot themselves in the foot a lot of the time. AAX is one of those times as far as I'm concerned. Also worth mentioning is that some existing hardware isn't being supported by Avid. It's possible that you'd have to get a new interface just to be able to run PT 11. Some older hardware might work...but if it doesn't you're on your own. Also, (jeeeez, talk about fine print!!) check to make sure your computer (and OS) is on the list of qualified/supported hardware. Same thing applies here. Even if it's not on the list, it might work. But if it doesn't, you're S.O.L. Sammetal91, if I were you, I'd stand pat till all the fallout is over from the changeover. That's just me. But maybe you're braver than I am. LOL I've got a commercial studio to run and I can't take that risk at this point. I'll wait to see what issues people are having before I jump.

I guess it's a case of whether it's worth it to you..?

If you simply can't get anything done with what you've got, then it's next to useless and you need to move on... however, if it's still working fine, then no worries :)

Oh and yes, we do all tend to be hopeless addicts so if you've got that itch, then sooner or later, you're gonna scratch it :encouragement:

The issue is it works fine for me UNTIL I hit the CPU limit. I tend to get plugin crazy and I start to realize how much CPU I'm eating when my cursor starts to lag :shock

We're still running PT 9.0.6 here at the studio on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with only 4 gigs of RAM. (2008 Mac Pro with 2 x 2.8gHz Harpertown processors) Every version of PT prior to 11 was a 32 bit application, hence the RAM consumption limit. PT 11 is a 64 bit application and can take advantage of much more RAM. Having said all that, we run quite a few CPU hungry plug-ins (CLA and Izotope Ozone 5, Alloy 2, and Spectron among them) with no issues. Sometimes you DO have to make concessions in the name of saving horsepower. We only use Ozone 5 on the master fader. But frankly, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by doing that. The EQ and compression in Alloy 2 is very similar to their counterparts in Ozone 5 (if not the exact same). So if I just need EQ and/or comp on an individual instrument or a buss, I'll use Alloy 2. (Also has a de-esser, limiter, exciter, and a very cool transient designer in it too.) The plug we have that eats the most CPU is Slate FG-X. Beast mode for sure. I can hear my CPU screaming, "Hey!! WTF?!?!". But again, that's something we use only on a master fader. Not that big of an issue. As an alternative, if you really love Ozone, (and I do) you could purchase Ozone 5 Advanced. Among other goodies that don't come in the standard version, you have the option to use each component within Ozone separately. Just wanna use the EQ from Ozone without anything else? It's there as a separate plug-in. Thereby reducing the CPU hit by a great amount. Everything within Ozone 5 is available as individual modules. Pretty cool. Did I help? Or are you more confused? Sorry!! :)
I understood everything clear and yeah I figured out that PT 10 and before were 32 bit apps which is hence why the limit. If anything, I just might learn to cope and not be a plugin whore or use less CPU taxing plugins. The one thing that bothers me is that bussing stuff seems to take a lot more CPU than I'd hoped as sometimes I like to bus all my tracks to a Stereo Aux and keep the Master Bus free for mix comparisons with other tracks. Again, I might still be sloppy with my maintenance which I probably am so I just gotta play it smarter somehow. OOOooooo did not know Ozone advanced had that feature! This is a nice tidbit of info!

I have read PT11 is going to AAX plugins and abandoning RTAS.. So for example if you have purchased the instrument expansion pack, you'll need a version 2.0. (not sure how much at this point). It requires an iLok2 as well correct? So $500+ish for the upgrade from PT9

Is anyone using audio over USB successfully with Pro Tools (with the old mac driver). I was never able to get it working on PT9 on 10.6.8.

ps, I've started a thread on common 10.6.8 issues here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...now-leopard-readme-common-issues-support.html

You just brought up something I had totally skimmed over! Oh goodness I forgot Avid was going all AAX. Thanks for that! As for Axe 2 USB driver issues, I don't a 2 so I can't help ya there unfortunately :(

Almost skipped over that part. And it's important! leagueofkruger is correct. Your current RTAS plugins will no longer function in PT 11. AAX only from here on out. Some companies already have AAX versions available, some do not. I think some of them are STILL on the fence as to whether or not they're going to do AAX versions. Also worth mentioning is that some plug-in manufacturers might charge for the move to AAX. AS much as I love PT because of my familiarity with it and it's ease of use for me, Avid really knows how to shoot themselves in the foot a lot of the time. AAX is one of those times as far as I'm concerned. Also worth mentioning is that some existing hardware isn't being supported by Avid. It's possible that you'd have to get a new interface just to be able to run PT 11. Some older hardware might work...but if it doesn't you're on your own. Also, (jeeeez, talk about fine print!!) check to make sure your computer (and OS) is on the list of qualified/supported hardware. Same thing applies here. Even if it's not on the list, it might work. But if it doesn't, you're S.O.L. Sammetal91, if I were you, I'd stand pat till all the fallout is over from the changeover. That's just me. But maybe you're braver than I am. LOL I've got a commercial studio to run and I can't take that risk at this point. I'll wait to see what issues people are having before I jump.
You brought up some serious points that I had totally skimmed over and appreciate that. The fact that 11 is no longer supporting RTAS is a pretty risky move considering all the plugins I bought are RTAS. As for hardware, yeah I think the 002 line of stuff and the last gen of Mboxes (which I own) are no longer supported which is rather annoying again as well. I'm waiting until other people start bringing up issues with Avid, I'll just deal with bouncing stuff around and optimizing my workflow until then! I'm in the same boat as you regarding the liking of Pro Tools, but not understanding the company decisions. I'm not running a business so at the very least I'm content that I at least got multitrack quantizing since 9 :razz

As for Axe 2 USB driver issues

There is no AxeFX USB "driver" on OSX yet - all what we got right now is a soft controller bootloader patch (called "driver"), telling the host that you plugged in a so called class compliant Audio 2.0 device, which unfortunately don't use the device internal clock signal......
A "real" class Audio 2.0 device don't need a bootloader software patch and there are many manufacturers of audio class 2.0 on Mac using their internal clock instead of apple's - but anyway, who cares? As long everybody believes this is a Mac problem - I would guess, no one cares....

regarding your question: never change a running system...... ;)

Out of curiosity, when you're bussing tracks to an aux, what kind of CPU hit are you taking? And what plug-ins are on that aux? Might take a peek at your settings in PT just to make sure it's optimized for your particular setup. Just a thought. :)

Out of curiosity, when you're bussing tracks to an aux, what kind of CPU hit are you taking? And what plug-ins are on that aux? Might take a peek at your settings in PT just to make sure it's optimized for your particular setup. Just a thought. :)
I'll do a double check on my next session just to see what bussing hell I've done heh. If anything, the Auxes tend to have eq and maybe a compressor or multiband compressor depending what I'm doing. If anything, I'll take a peek at a session and open a new one and start making busses to see how much I'm hitting.

I'll do a double check on my next session just to see what bussing hell I've done heh. If anything, the Auxes tend to have eq and maybe a compressor or multiband compressor depending what I'm doing. If anything, I'll take a peek at a session and open a new one and start making busses to see how much I'm hitting.

Cool. Let me know if I can help!

Back
Top Bottom