Dat attack

Have you tried the John Petrucci imitation block? :lol jk I don't think you're going to find a "feature" with the Axe FX that will make you a machine like Petrucci. Tone wise though, thats completely obtainable, but it sounds like you're already there.

HAHA im not talking about the technique. Im talking about the tone. But really, it's the drive that gives you that kind of attack?

Very VERY good alternate picking technique.

So true! 90% of that sound is technique. JP plays so precisely. Mark IIc+ and Mark IV are very clear and detailed sounding for leads, but that also means they will show you just how sloppy your playing really is. Guitar, pickups, strings, and picks used also make a big difference on that kind of attack and clarity.

So true! 90% of that sound is technique. JP plays so precisely.

I agree. For similar accuracy on an electric, listen to some of Al DiMeola's runs. Even on a relatively lightly strung Les Paul he's so dead-nuts spot-on accurate it's spooky. Highly recommend the "Elegant Gypsy" CD.

I had a teacher years ago out of Berkeley who could do that stuff. It would have been pretty intimidating if he wasn't such a humble guy. Anyway, his advice was always "Slow down, dammit! If you can't do it accurately slowly, you'll never do it accurately quickly!" Oddly enough, it's actually pretty tough to do slowly, but once you can, the speed comes on naturally. Then, even if all you've got is a Fender Champ to play through, it's all good.

One thing that should be pointed out is that the descending run that Petrucci plays at 0:42 is also being played simultaneously by the bass & keyboards, which of course is going to make it "pop out" and give it a more pronounced attack. It might not be that obvious with the way the song is mixed, but you are not hearing just guitar on that part.

Watch the left side of the 4-way split screen at 0:43-0:45 and see how John Myung & Jordan Rudess (bass & keys) play the run right along with JP:

Last edited:
Yeah, it's 99% technique, practice and more practice. The Jazz III is a good pick to use though (which JP uses), when I switched from Dunlop Tortex my pick attack suddenly became a lot sharper and pronounced, so that's a good start if you're not using them already.

Unfortunately the Axe-FX doesn't have pick emulation yet, so you'll just have to buy a pack.

This was pretty much what I was looking for I think. With some mixing it'll sound great for the next project I plan towork on. Thanks for the heads up on the amp type! I went wth the IIC+ Norm and the 3-knob tube drive behind it then tweaked to taste. This is what came out.

can't add much more than the others, except for that I'm certain it was tracked with much less gain than you'd imagine that it was..which would make the attack pop more and not get lost due to lack of definition.

Back
Top Bottom