Das Metal Amp test in mix! AXE FX 2 ver 4.01

toolfanem

Power User

THIS HAS NO BASS.

EDIT:

ADDED BASS :)

This is my first post here so I thought I would share a little info:

Got my axe 2 a few months ago now. At first I was blown away!!! I was using a software guitar processor for recording demos and had gotten very accustomed to it. After A/Bing the two I was actually kind of bummed that my Axe didnt sound as good straight out of the box.

This ended up being partially my fault because it took some time to get used to the new unit, but now I couldnt be happier! I know they just released V5.01 but I am going to wait to update until axe edit in done. I pretty satisfied for now :mrgreen .

Let me know what you guys think. There is no bass yet on this track so it might be a little thin but give it a listen...

Thanks guys, this forum is awesome, and lots of respect to the guys that are posting their patches.

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same boat as you are. I got mine a few days ago and am having a hard time getting the tones out of it that I hear from everyone else. Do you have any tips on how to get it there? Your stuff sounds great! I have a post a few down from yours and I'm using a VH4 too but it sounds nowhere as good as yours.

I will post my patch when I get back from dinner tonight. For more info, I am playing an old schecter c-7 diamond series with BKP aftermaths.

Dont get discouraged on this unit man!! I was freaked out at first that I spent so much money and wasnt blown away immediately. Give it time and if you havent, get updated to V4.01. I am waiting to update to 5.01 until axe edit is ready.

I am also using the bright setting in amp module, this will prob help you at least get closer if you havent tried it already.

I will post my patch when I get back from dinner tonight. For more info, I am playing an old schecter c-7 diamond series with BKP aftermaths.

Dont get discouraged on this unit man!! I was freaked out at first that I spent so much money and wasnt blown away immediately. Give it time and if you havent, get updated to V4.01. I am waiting to update to 5.01 until axe edit is ready.

I am also using the bright setting in amp module, this will prob help you at least get closer if you havent tried it already.

I'm on 5.01 right now and I know it'll get there. All the choices are a bit overwhelming.. the cabs and mics specifically. But your tone is great! Looking forward to taking a look at what you're doing!

-oh and they updated axe edit a few days ago! It works with the new stuff!

I just listen to you post. The tone is pretty good man! If I can make a few suggestions...

It sounds like your guitar is panned dead center. Try panning the main track hard left and making a copy of that same track and pan it hard right. Then add a 25ms delay to the guitar that is panned to the right. this will make it sound wider and since it clears up space for the kick and snare it will give the impression of having more clarity. You can do the same thing with the "enhancer" block, and I heard that they have made improvements since 4.01 on that module.

Also, my mastering is much brighter than yours. that is adding to it, along with having no bass on the track yet.

I really like PSP vintage warmer 2 and slate digitals FG-X for mastering tools, good stuff.

"-oh and they updated axe edit a few days ago! It works with the new stuff!"

Oh damn, I guess I am doing backups and updates tonight haha.

Maybe a little less pre amp gain also just to clear things up. Once you double track the guitars that extra bit of gain can make things unclear.

I just listen to you post. The tone is pretty good man! If I can make a few suggestions...

It sounds like your guitar is panned dead center. Try panning the main track hard left and making a copy of that same track and pan it hard right. Then add a 25ms delay to the guitar that is panned to the right. this will make it sound wider and since it clears up space for the kick and snare it will give the impression of having more clarity. You can do the same thing with the "enhancer" block, and I heard that they have made improvements since 4.01 on that module.

Also, my mastering is much brighter than yours. that is adding to it, along with having no bass on the track yet.

I really like PSP vintage warmer 2 and slate digitals FG-X for mastering tools, good stuff.

"-oh and they updated axe edit a few days ago! It works with the new stuff!"

Oh damn, I guess I am doing backups and updates tonight haha.

Awesome, I'll try all of that out. Thank you for the input!

1:39 : Just wow :). Can see myself losing sleep over a Fear Factory jam-a-long session with this patch... . Thanks a lot in advance for your work!

Agree with the Fear Factory comparison. I think the composition and tone fits that style very well. However, that snare..... It's so in-your-face (in my face?) that I almost can't hear anything else. And the ringy-ness of it really reminds me of St. Anger... :( For my tastes, a lower tuned and snappier snare would be less distracting and much more enjoyable. It would also let me focus on the guitars more.

Also, I think I heard some crackles and pops in the intro section. Not sure if that's just on my end.

All good stuff. I agree on the snare end, its a little ringy to me too and I also thought st anger. Funny thing is that most of that ring is coming from a snare sample that some would say is "very" close to the snare on FF's obsolete record. The mastering compression really brought it out. The crackles and pops at beginning are bad edits in protools, as this is a pre production demo of an incomplete song that is still being written. I am going to post the patch tomorrow, as I just got home and have to work at 6am, but I will include a matched IR that I made attempting to replicate the guitar sound on Obsolete.

BTW, saw TOOL last night in NJ and it was incredible! Any one else excited for the new Meshuggah?!?!

Man, love this tone, but yeah Pan em L/R or even re record a second guitar or just do the 25ms Delay and itll sound MASSIVE!!!

Great tone, tight as ballz man, really diggin' it!!!

P.S

RE -New Meshuggah:

I would be literally willing to cut my own balls off to see a preview of this album. There is no word of a lie here.

Theyre playing Soundwave Festival here in Aus, and i bought tickets for it, not to mention tickets to their SIDESHOW! With Devin Townsend!!!!

$54 Aussie Dollars (which is about the same US Currency I believe) for Devvy and Meshuggah boys with another support act, Dredg I think it was.

#valueformoney

View attachment Eric M's Diezel VH4.syx

This is my attempt at uploading that patch, please let me know if I did this wrong! I am new to this forum stuff and all the help I can get is appreciated!

Thanks guys and gals!

If you download the patch, please let me know what you think, good or bad. Looking for some feed back on what could be better with the guitar tones.

Again this patch was made in AXE FX 2 Ver 4.01.

BTW, Meshuggah w/ Devin Townsend sounds pretty amazing! Really wish I could have seen SYL before they disbanded.

I might trade a nut for an advanced copy of Koloss haha...

Nice tone man! Like the writing too! I got my axe fx a while ago and was kind of confused when I got it too. But with time it got better and better. Check out my demo, is the high gain demo thread
Cheers
JD

Forgot to add that I also have a decent amount of EQing done with the global settings:

31Hz = -0.57
63Hz = 1.25
125=2.37
250=0.0
500=0.0
1k=0.32
2k=1.35
4k=2.40
8k=3.60
16k=1.00

Back
Top Bottom