Darned nice playing and impeccable technique.

Brock

Experienced
Came across this guy's YouTube channel. This video gives an idea of what he does but if you dig it, I recommend checking the other stuff he's posted on his channel. He has some where he uses the Axe-Fx. Sergey's playing is some of my favorite playing in the djenre, and dare I say, perhaps the most technically fluid I've seen.

yeah he's a monster player....has some stuff on jam track central, i think. more fusiony than the prog metal stuff he does.

I'll have to check that out. While I dig the djent-shred stuff, my bigger interest belongs in Fusionland.

That is RI-DIC-U-LOUS. Thank you for sharing. This guy is most certainly solid. A real deal in an age of half-baked dudes.

He has chops, but i can listen for this kind of stuff for 20 seconds max.
Coincidentally, that's precisely how I feel about old school (and many newer style) blues style players, players locked into pentatonic boxes, etc. With no to few exceptions, I can't think of any players I like that don't have at least some sort of advanced skills on their instruments. This isn't to say, it's all about shred for me. When it's tasteless, I tire of it pretty quickly. My favorite players are Holdsworth, Vai, Petrucci, Thordendal, and Howe (Greg, not Steve). To me they're all expressive players who use technique tastefully. I would lump Sergey into this category.

I don't think he played a single chord in either video, and I watched most of both. He has chops for sure, but I'm not hearing the songs like Satriani brings to the table.

I have seen awesome painters with unbelievable technique. Beautiful colors, details, perfect control.

There was only 1 thing missing from the paintings: a message.

Until you have nothing meaningful to say, everything that comes out just a visual effect.
A visual effect can be very powerful for sure and give some enjoyment, but when you add an idea behind it, its power will multiply.

All the great artists have message. Some of them run out, some of them keep saying the same thing, but it has to be there.

Great technique is not a message, it's a status statement.

There was only 1 thing missing from the paintings: a message.
I understand your point. I suspect we have different standards of what constitutes a message being expressed.

Addressing the presupposition blues players or Joe Satriani better convey messages... My guess is people who uphold this position do so because the aforementioned play simple and memorable melodies. My response to such a position is I think: (1) they play the same licks over and over again reflexively -- like their fingers are on autopilot; and (2) their technique limits what they're able to do -- the more limitation that exists, the smaller the stable of prefabbed licks. As such, they're largely automatons with small vocabularies for expression.

The players I listed as my favs fall into a few different categories. The only one who's genuinely expressive as a (perfectly) refined instrumentalist is Holdsworth. He has total control over what he's doing at all times. His stories, however, are wildly complex. It's like comparing Grisham to Nabokov - one tells simple stories in a way that is easily digested and appreciated by most while the other tells more nuanced stories that have a more limited appeal (generally to those more astute in matter). While Vai, Petrucci, and Thordendal are all accomplished players, their skill is in composing their messages. So, their minds can structure the exact messages their trying to convey, however not in realtime. (Given this opportunity, I believe the archetypal blues players would compose messages with the depth and range of expression of knock-knock jokes.) Finally I think Greg Howe is more the reflexive player, however his stable of licks is vast. I haven't heard enough to say with total confidence, but my guess is Sergey falls into the same category as Howe. The difference is with these guys (as compared to the archetypal simpler players), is they're working with far more tools which allows for a much greater range of expression.

Last edited:
i enjoy people who have total command of their instrument, it's inspiring to me. Could i listen to an entire album of it? no way...but I also can't listen to an entire album of Guthrie, or Timmons, or (insert name here)....and those guys are some of biggest influences.

also, it is possible for others to moved in ways that you are not...we all know this, right? what is emotionless shredding to one guy can be extremely moving to someone else. we all process things different ways, and emote in different ways....it applies to music as well.

it would be much more beneficial (and make us look less like asses a lot of the time) if we'd just say "impressive but not my taste" than to start the comparison game and throwing out the "no feels or emotion or blah blah blah blah" junk.

Brock, I think you misunderstood me.

Let me give you another examples:

A talented rapper can have large vocabulary, clever rhymes and fast talk, but if there was no message then doesn't matter.

A punk song can be simple as "f@ck you", and it will come across better than any wannabe poet if it was executed well.

Speed, technique, form, shape, colors, tone, dynamics, vocabulary etc. are TOOLS!!!

Do you have anything to say and can you deliver that? Meaning, does it reach or touch your audience or you just want to show how cool tools, gadgets you have?

Last edited:
luke said something about not seeing any chords. I found some! Check out :42. :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom