Darn it, Cliff!

pneil2

Inspired
So, I'm trying to get my basic presets dialed in with the new XL (used the Ultra for 3-4 yrs). I keep thinking I'm getting close to being done. But, what happens then? I poke around a little bit and find some other amp I never noticed before that sounds un-freakin believable! Then I spend the entire evening tweaking presets for that amp until it sounds so good it absolutely MUST go in the line-up somewhere. A couple of nights ago it was the Blues Jr. Last night it was the Cameron Atomica! Where will this madness end? I'm now up to 20 basic presets (10 with alts for every one on the MFC). Is that enough, No! I keep swapping the ones I have out for new ones I've found that sound even better. The next thing that will happen is that you'll do a firmware update and the thing will sound better and have even more choices! How am I supposed to deal with this insanity????

Oh, and thanks :)

I'm the same, and I've also found that I keep coming back to the same amps in the end, the Friedman BE, 1987x, Suhr Badger 30 and AC-20. Then I have a little love affair with for instance the new Tucana 3 that lasts for a little while before coming back to the Friedman. If it makes it better, look up the price on one of these amps and say to yourself that you just saved $$$ not having to actually buy one :)

and if that is not bad enough....in a few weeks, you'll create new presets that make your first attempts sound weak, by comparison.

Yeah, I had sort of forgotten about this part of the process. My Ultra setup has been stable for a couple of years and there weren't any new updates, so.... Now I'm suddenly knee deep in new and amazing amps!
There are a lot worse problems to have :). I was initially stunned by the Ultra and this XL is just as amazing.

Hate to break it to you pneil2, but if you're not tweaking with FW 15b yer missing out! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually you need to play your guitar. I mean that in a kind-hearted way, but at the same time it's true.
I've had all the big time modelers and I've had GREAT gigs using a simple Zoom G3X. The best times I've had with the II have been when I was gigging hard and TOO BUSY to tweak stuff that already worked really, really well.
I'm at that place again now (currently using my G3X) and I'm now the sole guitarist playing covers from ABBA to Zac Brown Band and I'm coming back to the II.
I have some great patches for my electric and acoustic gigs ready to be loaded and probably won't need to tweak much to be gig ready.
BEWARE THE RABBIT HOLE!!!

So, I'm trying to get my basic presets dialed in with the new XL (used the Ultra for 3-4 yrs). I keep thinking I'm getting close to being done. But, what happens then? I poke around a little bit and find some other amp I never noticed before that sounds un-freakin believable! Then I spend the entire evening tweaking presets for that amp until it sounds so good it absolutely MUST go in the line-up somewhere. A couple of nights ago it was the Blues Jr. Last night it was the Cameron Atomica! Where will this madness end? I'm now up to 20 basic presets (10 with alts for every one on the MFC). Is that enough, No! I keep swapping the ones I have out for new ones I've found that sound even better. The next thing that will happen is that you'll do a firmware update and the thing will sound better and have even more choices! How am I supposed to deal with this insanity????

Oh, and thanks :)

Yeah, but my digging keeps turning up such nice stuff :).
It is all nice stuff man. I have been using the Axe since the ultra and I have purposefully avoided tweaking to death. I was doing pretty good at that and having kids really helped me stay way. I get a few tones that are usable and run with them. Every once in a while a will swap to a new amp or go back to one but very minimal stuff. I know I could get lost in a heart beat playing through amps ect so I avoid it. Every once in a while I tell me self I should do "amp shopping" every other month or something to discover new stuff and then I think nah let me just keep playing lol.

Eventually you need to play your guitar. I mean that in a kind-hearted way, but at the same time it's true.
I've had all the big time modelers and I've had GREAT gigs using a simple Zoom G3X. The best times I've had with the II have been when I was gigging hard and TOO BUSY to tweak stuff that already worked really, really well.
I'm at that place again now (currently using my G3X) and I'm now the sole guitarist playing covers from ABBA to Zac Brown Band and I'm coming back to the II.
I have some great patches for my electric and acoustic gigs ready to be loaded and probably won't need to tweak much to be gig ready.
BEWARE THE RABBIT HOLE!!!

Ok, it was just intended as a tongue in cheek joke and a lopsided thank you to Cliff.

That being said, I am to total detail freak and will be tweaking continually for at least the next few months. I started playing out with it a couple of weeks ago. There is so much about presets that you don't realize until you use them in a band situation. It sounds really good and I have already gotten complements on the tones (which happened routinely with my Ultra as well), but they could always be Just a little better :),

Back
Top Bottom