Danny Danzi - Van Halen preset- need !

Hey Danny...no offense intended at all.
I very much appreciate your efforts and enjoyed watching the recent "cabs" video you posted.
Simply trying to offer options. "Teach a man to fish" was the idea. Please don't take it personally.

If the OP wants YOUR info, that's awesome. I'd like to try it myself.
No slap intended and I apologize if it came off that way.

Last edited:
All well and good, but I don't think that is going to help him get the sound or patch that I offered. Lol! :)

We're trying to give him what he asked for in the thread title. He just wants to try my patch.

Think about it for a sec. The guy creates a thread wanting my patch while praising it, and we get guys coming into the thread trying to send the guy somewhere else. Lol! That's kinda like a smack in the face to me, doncha think?

I mean listen, I really don't care one way or the other....but if any of you shared a patch, the last thing I'd do is come into a thread bearing that patch and owners name and try to send them somewhere else by providing links etc unless there was a need. Not upset, just a bit surprised. Just sayin.....

Your patch sounds frickn awesome mister. I can't express my gratitude enough for your trying to make the AX8 version happen. Thank you.

CodePoet and Al too !

Hey Danny...no offense intended at all.
I very much appreciate your efforts and enjoyed watching the recent "cabs" video you posted.
Simply trying to offer options. "Teach a man to fish" was the idea. Please don't take it personally.

If the OP wants YOUR info, that's awesome. I'd like to try it myself.
No slap intended and I apologize if it came off that way.

That's cool, and trust me, I get that you and the other guy that posted all the links are just trying to help. :) It just looked a little odd if you're me, know what I mean? ;) Thanks!

To make it AX8-friendly:
Use 1 Comp, 1 Flanger, 1 Amp, 1 Reverb, and no Mixer. You could combine the multiple blocks into X/Y combinations in one block. Instead of the mixer block you can run the lines into the Output and use the Output parameters per-scene to make your mix.

Hmm, so we almost have to break each scene down as a separate preset and get rid of the mixer block. If you already have a format on that and don't mind doing it, it sure would be helpful and I can keep this info handy for the future. I'm going to try that cab block vs the tone match block right now to see how different it is. If I change anything, do you want me to just supply the cab or the whole preset with the cab?

Hmm, so we almost have to break each scene down as a separate preset and get rid of the mixer block. If you already have a format on that and don't mind doing it, it sure would be helpful and I can keep this info handy for the future. I'm going to try that cab block vs the tone match block right now to see how different it is. If I change anything, do you want me to just supply the cab or the whole preset with the cab?

Just getting the cab is fine I think. I don't think there's a need to break each scene down as a separate preset. Each scene would just need to switch X/Y states of the above blocks as needed and set the output mixer as needed. But if you don't want to go through that I can do it - I've got a bead on it already.

Just getting the cab is fine I think. I don't think there's a need to break each scene down as a separate preset. Each scene would just need to switch X/Y states of the above blocks as needed and set the output mixer as needed. But if you don't want to go through that I can do it - I've got a bead on it already.

Awesome, thanks! Ok, well I messed with the cab and I can't tell a difference between it and the TM block. The cab level for me that worked the best for the cab was 10.0, which sounds nearly identical to the volume we get from the TM. I put it up on my meters as well and it's so close, we're talking increments which depend on how hard you play. So if your cab sounds identical and you can level match it to 10.0 and it sounds as loud as the TM, we should be in good shape.

Also, there's no difference in sound when switching through normal and ultra. So I think we should stick with normal to cut down on cpu. You can try it and see if you hear anything. Not sure you knew this or not (you probably do so forgive me) but if you click on an option in Axe Edit and then use your arrow keys, you can one click through while playing/holding a chord. I sat here without looking and just pressed up and down arrows on ultra/normal to see if I could hear anything different and figured I'd stop on the one that sounded the best. They all sounded the same to me as I mentioned. See what you think though, and use whatever you feel is best. :)

Your patch sounds frickn awesome mister. I can't express my gratitude enough for your trying to make the AX8 version happen. Thank you.

CodePoet and Al too !

Thanks man! We're trying to set it up for you. The only change you may have to make would be how much gain you need and if it's too bright, just back down something on the eq. Here are a few issues we'll always be faced with when playing through another person's sound...

1. I tune to 440 but I tune to a low C below your standard E. So you'll most definitely have to tweak a few things due to my tuning being so loose. I need more gain than you guys that tune in real guitar tuning and I also need more treble because of the lower tuning.

2. If you play like Steve Vai, you ain't gonna sound like EVH. LOL! I had a friend of mine play the patch playing like Lynch....when he sent me the audio, I laughed at him and said "dude, you sound more like Lynch than HE does....did you really expect an EVH tone to sound like EVH when you play Lynch?" LMAO!

3. Not only do you have to sort of play like EVH, but you need to use some of the tricks, quirky bends, vibrato and signature stuff that makes Eddie sound like Eddie.

Cool story you may have heard before. Eddie and Nugent were playing together on the same tour. Nuge was dying to play through Eddie's rig at the time since Eddie was setting the world on fire. Ted plugs in expecting to sound like Ed, and sounds like Ted. Eddie plugs into Ted's rig...and sounds like Eddie. LOL! So a lot of this stuff is in your fingers and how you execute what you're playing while using a sound.

I know you and others probably know that, but in case someone may not, it is useful information and stuff to keep in mind while hoping to sound like our hero's. :)

Also, there's no difference in sound when switching through normal and ultra. So I think we should stick with normal to cut down on cpu.

Check your settings to see if you're exporting an UltraRes cab - Global / Config / IR Capture Mode = Ultra-Res and the Tone Match Mode parm in the TMA block equals "Live":
Added UltraRes support to Tone Match block Export function. If the Global IR Capture Mode is set to UltraRes the exported Tone Match will be an UltraRes IR ONLY if the Tone Match Mode parameter is set to Live.

Also, set your TMA block resolution to High.

Oh this would be cool. I already nicked most of Danny's settings that are visible in the video breakdown of the preset, and they worked pretty well with just stock cabs. Couldn't quite figure out how to do the routing without the mixer block though.

Thanks man! We're trying to set it up for you. The only change you may have to make would be how much gain you need and if it's too bright, just back down something on the eq. Here are a few issues we'll always be faced with when playing through another person's sound...

1. I tune to 440 but I tune to a low C below your standard E. So you'll most definitely have to tweak a few things due to my tuning being so loose. I need more gain than you guys that tune in real guitar tuning and I also need more treble because of the lower tuning.

2. If you play like Steve Vai, you ain't gonna sound like EVH. LOL! I had a friend of mine play the patch playing like Lynch....when he sent me the audio, I laughed at him and said "dude, you sound more like Lynch than HE does....did you really expect an EVH tone to sound like EVH when you play Lynch?" LMAO!

3. Not only do you have to sort of play like EVH, but you need to use some of the tricks, quirky bends, vibrato and signature stuff that makes Eddie sound like Eddie.

Cool story you may have heard before. Eddie and Nugent were playing together on the same tour. Nuge was dying to play through Eddie's rig at the time since Eddie was setting the world on fire. Ted plugs in expecting to sound like Ed, and sounds like Ted. Eddie plugs into Ted's rig...and sounds like Eddie. LOL! So a lot of this stuff is in your fingers and how you execute what you're playing while using a sound.

I know you and others probably know that, but in case someone may not, it is useful information and stuff to keep in mind while hoping to sound like our hero's. :)

Yup. I hear you loud and clear.
As I stated elsewhere "I ain't no Eddie" , but I learned to play guitar by learning VH ( like many I'm sure )
A few years back I was in a GC in the city checking out a 1960 Reissue and noodling around. I think I was playing some Led Zeppelin, sabbath, Aerosmith stuff , trying to decide how I felt about the neck , and the head of the store came in and asked if I was a van halen fan.... I'm like eh , why ? He said my playing sounded like VH. I laughed and said "thank you". ( some guys will say anything to try to make a sale ) ;).
Fractal is awesome , and guys like yourself and others around the forum here - are too. I'll keep an eye out for any progress on your patches for the AX8.
Thanks again. - and great story !

Last edited:
Check your settings to see if you're exporting an UltraRes cab - Global / Config / IR Capture Mode = Ultra-Res and the Tone Match Mode parm in the TMA block equals "Live":
Added UltraRes support to Tone Match block Export function. If the Global IR Capture Mode is set to UltraRes the exported Tone Match will be an UltraRes IR ONLY if the Tone Match Mode parameter is set to Live.

Also, set your TMA block resolution to High.

Ah Ok I'll check on that in a few. I'm thinking I'm probably not set for anything hi, but we'll see.

Yup. I hear you loud and clear.
As I stated elsewhere "I ain't no Eddie" , but I learned to play guitar by learning VH ( like many I'm sure )
A few years back I was in a GC in the city checking out a 1960 Reissue and noodling around. I think I was playing some Led Zeppelin, sabbath, Aerosmith stuff , trying to decide how I felt about the neck , and the head of the store came in and asked if I was a van halen fan.... I'm like eh , why ? He said my playing sounded like VH. I laughed and said "thank you". ( some guys will say anything to try to make a sale ) ;).
Fractal is awesome , and guys like yourself and others around the forum here - are too. I'll keep an eye out for any progress on your patches for the AX8.
Thanks again. - and great story !

I'm no Eddie either. I'm wondering when my vh tribute band is going to replace me. I got sort of an Eddie sound, but I'm not even close on the licks or the solos. There are dudes out there nailing it so close...it's scary.

I don't even own an Eddie guitar and I dress my own way "in the flavor of Eddie". I asked my singer why they keep me around and other than the obvious, (I'm professional, play and sing pretty good, have an Eddie look and hey, I own the rehearsal spot lol) he said "you remind me of what Ed does live.....he just about never plays the solos off the albums...he improvs and does them better."

I took that as a huge compliment and never asked why they keep me again. Lol!

Ah thanks man, much appreciated. And you're welcome. Codepoet has you sorted on the preset. :)

Hey Danny, as a fellow EVH lover I look forward to you posts and videos. You come off as a 'level headed' class act and I love your sense of humor (and the accent;))............keep up the good work my friend.

Hey Moke, thanks for that....much appreciated! You have some cool vh stuff too! Maybe me, you that guy Dan and Singtall can team up and create the ultimate preset. We're all so close! I never look at it as a competition. We're all in this together. :) Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad a few of you guys are taking me exactly the way I've hoped you would.

In my humble opinion, Mr. Danzi's patch is THE best VH patch - bar none. If we were in another time period when guitar playing was revered (before hip hop got the big cars), we would be purchasing magazines with this gentleman on the cover. He is a monster of a musician.

Trying to follow all of these threads...so is there an AX8 version coming? Or shall I keep hacking at mine from the conversion. (Thanks to ALL working on this stuff...so complicated I wish the exchange site was working better and had AX8)

In my humble opinion, Mr. Danzi's patch is THE best VH patch - bar none. If we were in another time period when guitar playing was revered (before hip hop got the big cars), we would be purchasing magazines with this gentleman on the cover. He is a monster of a musician.

That's really kind of you, thanks! I got a few mags with me floating around....nothing huge, but I kept them all. LOL!

@sskkmm I don't know if anyone will further try to develop the patch for AX8. I don't have one, so all I have done was replace the tone match block with the cab block. I'm also uploading a video right now that further explains the patch and shows every setting on every block. It should be up soon. It's not as complicated as you think. The new video may help you and others understand a bit better.

That's really kind of you, thanks! I got a few mags with me floating around....nothing huge, but I kept them all. LOL!

@sskkmm I don't know if anyone will further try to develop the patch for AX8. I don't have one, so all I have done was replace the tone match block with the cab block. I'm also uploading a video right now that further explains the patch and shows every setting on every block. It should be up soon. It's not as complicated as you think. The new video may help you and others understand a bit better.

Yeah , well I watched ( and listened ) to the video you made on the " 1984 to present " VH patches you made , and umm , its pretty easy to tell - just during your brief playing , - you got skills. The sounds you're getting are fkn dead on . ( tp my ears )
From what I can tell , you seem very sincere in your efforts , to go out of your way , and help the guys here on the forum - by sharing your work. Pretty cool.
I've been hanging back and watching for the experienced FAS users to help make your work available for the AX8. Keeps me around the forum. ;)
The upcoming video sounds awesome. Thanks for all of this.
The moral of the story is going to sound like this , " If you've got Fractal , and Danny's patches , and you STILL don't sound like Eddie , you better look at your fingers , and then go practice."

Back
Top Bottom