Dan Spitz | Anthrax | Red Lamb | and the Axe Fx

Great song and great metal tone!

It's great to see guys who actually do this for a living embracing the technology. It is amazing that how much gear the Axe-FX replaces. I now find myself lusting after more guitars and not so much amps and pedals!

You know if someone would have told the 15 year old me that I'd be having a discussion with Dan Spitz on the internet I probably would have crapped my pants. :)

Of course that would have been right after I asked "what the hell are internets?"

Seriously, it's awesome to hear you playing again. There are players out there that have their own style and attack that I think transcends the term 'tone' and if I had heard this song and not known it was you I would have said that the guitarist probably spent countless hours learning from your albums.

Adam brings up a fantastic point too. The mix was great, man I'm so tired of hearing stuff so over-compressed and saturated that you feel like your being suffocated. The dynamics and space (I mean as much as you can have with this type of music) makes it hit harder when it counts to me rather than just being pummeled into submission by sheer volume with nothing to say.

Dan,

Welsome to the forum. I'm digging the sound of the new band. You said you guys are new? Do tell how Red Lamb came together?

@Sasha

The mix is killer because I decided not to master the record,

in the sense of mastering houses that pummel the music into garbage. The mixes from Johnny K were already within a few db of ceiling and breathing so nice I would have hated to kill it. The guitars and all instruments just breathe a bit, they have separation and unity all at the same time. I hate the new mastering way of the louder guy wins. I like what I hear "in the studio". So I give my audience what I like because it's usually what they like. I kind of have a track record of not following the norm you know. The guitars have Caaaruunch ! Once converted to MP3's it's self mastered again anyway for 98% of what everyone listens to now. Why would anyone want to master three times unless you need drastic help in the E.Q. department ?

I also only tracked two guitar tracks. One left and One right. No piling 4 left and 4 right like the old days. I started doing that and it just killed what was in my head. All the spaces of music were gone. I think if you can play tight it just rips this way. Of course clean parts and harmonies I pile but only for tone / parametric e.q. and speaker split reasons. You know Vox left Dumble right harms up the middle maybe.

Space Is Music !!!!!

Hey Dan,

I just noticed Anthrax is scheduled for the Forta-rock festival in my hometown this summer.
If you're there and are up for it, it could be nice to get together.
Just give me à headsup via pm or something.

Hey Dan thanks for posting. Glad to hear your still putting your talent to good use and using the Axe Fx. I simply cannot live without my Axe Fx II and am still working on smashing the learning curve using this great forum. I wish I had more hours in the day! I liked the track you posted and immediately bought the MP3 album off Amazon. Really dig the tight low end palm mutes on #5 Puzzle Box and #12 Keep Pushing Me. The guest singer is an amazing guy also. You should be very proud of yourself. Your post makes me strive even harder to carve out my own tone. Hope to see Red Lamb in Chicago soon!!! Keep it heavy brother!!!

@Bioloco
There's a lyric sheet for that song on Red Lamb .

@masterofgravity
Thanks ! "Puzzle Box" is about my families struggle with Autism. Candi (my wife) and I have twin identical boys with it and our day in day out here is quite difficult (that's an understatement). So I thought I would share our pain with you and let the world know what's going on now that one in every 70th boy born will have it.

@hippietim
I hope to play every city and town on planet earth. I'm back to play my weapon for you.

@winger
I don't play in Anthrax. I play in Red Lamb. Sorry.

Last edited:
My bad! :-s I'll make it a point to make it to a RL show though.
Timely headsup when scheduling The Netherlands would be appreciated. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom