Dan Spitz / Anthrax and now DeuxMonkey

Spitz

Hello to all Axe Fx freaks,

As some of you know I was one of the earliest users of the Axe. I've been hard at work with my two Ultra's for ages on a quest to use it in new and exciting areas. As I now finish the mixing of the new DeuxMonkey CD (my first band ever outside of Anthrax) I feel I must become more of a part of the collaborative community of Axe Fx freaks. So I'm here as time allows me.

I decided early on after living with the Ultra's that simply tweaking programs was not what was in store for me. I spent months in the studio cloning my real amps inside the Axe and then taking the unit further into the usual new sounds not obtainable with basic heads and two racks the size of refrigerators FX units.

DeuxMonkey consists of new sounds that I could simply and only obtain using the Axe Fx. On the last Anthrax re-union cycle I used a few large racks and isolation boxes. I use in ears as monitors. Always looked at my rig and dreamed of not having to even carry the iso boxes. It's all now a reality.

I'll start by posting some pictures of my touring racks starting to go together. I have modified a couple of the cases as well. Trying to keep the weight down as usual so I can go anywhere and have my real rig every day of my life.

As Cliff, Matt and Tom (indispensable people of course) know my goal was to be the first person to record an entire CD using the Axe. I won't say how much of the new DeuxMonkey CD is Axe at this point. You all can guess when it hits. LOL.

Thanks to Dweezil for inspiration. I'm HUGE fan of his fathers works and could sing every word of the Overnight Sensation Album when I was a kid. Ever wonder where the humor of my artistic creations come from ? Now you know. Yes.... Zappa.

I've also convinced a few other friends of mine to move over to the Star Trek Generation. It's here you know.

New Rig in Progress:

Attachments

• DSCF8498_2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCF7887.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCF8361.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 611
Sup?
That's awesome Dan, I cant wait to hear the new tunes. I've been a fan since the beginning . Please,,at some point, post a patch or two, and maybe explain why you might have shaped it a certain way. I would love to read your insight on the Axe.

MOSHON
DAVE

Hi Dan. Big fan, blah blah blah.

It's good to see you "come out" on the forum and as a Zappa freak. Can't wait to hear what you've done with the AxeFX.

My thanks in advance for your input!

Hey Dan, that's a really cool setup going on. I imagine you're going direct and still using your in ears, right?. I can't wait to hear your production made entirely with the Axe. Did you use only the cabs inside the Axe?

By the way, let us know when your new CD hits the stores.

I love me some classic Anthrax... specifically I love me some Dan Spitz Anthrax!!!!

Just out of curiosity... I notice you have an "older" dark faceplate and a newer "purple" (black) faceplate Axe-fx... you also mentioned you were "one of the earliest users of the Axe"... how "early" were you? What firmware did you start on?

Thanks for the pics Dan... I like how you "jimmy rigged" the surge protecter in the 4U... I have a 4U with wheels, I also have a 6u without wheels... and I was going to get a 6U with wheels but looking at your rig, I might just "jimmy rig" a surge protector and a Line 6 Relay G30 instead of getting the G90 rackmount (already ordered a Furman) and possibly killing my back!!! hahahaahaha...

P.S. Is it pronounced "Dew" Monkey or "Dukes" Monkey?

P.S.S. Any links to any tracks?

Thanks Dan!!!

Spitz said:
I spent months in the studio cloning my real amps inside the Axe and then taking the unit further into the usual new sounds not obtainable with basic heads and two racks the size of refrigerators FX units.

DeuxMonkey consists of new sounds that I could simply and only obtain using the Axe Fx.

Ain't that the truth. People sometimes compare the models to real amps to see how close they are. And they are damn close. However, the Axe-Fx has so much more that can take you beyond what you can obtain with basic heads.

Welcome Dan!

Good to see this post, Dan. Think we have a mutual acquaintance in Dave Stephens. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the DeuxMonkey rollout!

mortega76 said:
P.S. Is it pronounced "Dew" Monkey or "Dukes" Monkey?

The French or Canadian guys can do this better justice, but "deux" means "two" in French and it is kind of pronounced like "der" without the "r."

Then again, it's Dan's band and he can pronounce it however he chooses.

GreenTea said:
Good to see this post, Dan. Think we have a mutual acquaintance in Dave Stephens. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the DeuxMonkey rollout!

Dave Stephens makes REAL PAF's. No clone over there. Nothing comes close. Nothing. Amazing gentlemen as well. I'm playing some Nashville es335's now with his pickups loaded in and it is a time warp.

Here is the pedalboard in its infancy stage. I'm cloning the Wah and it will be removed for touring. My tech will run the board.

Attachments

• DSCF8557.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom