Damn I love this band…Kings X

The majority of his tone from that era was not just the Lab it was mainly the preamp EQ and the microphonic pickups in the Fender Elite. Mix that with a chorus with a ton of early reflections and you get really close using an amp with a mild gain structure. I had a pretty good preset when I had the AX8 but it didn't translate to the FM. I still need to revisit this and get a good sounding representation.
Was his preamp eq just a boost? Or was there something different about the eq. I’m surprised we don’t see more guitars with onboard preamp boosts. I’ve been researching the Luke IIIs that have it and it seems so useful

The majority of his tone from that era was not just the Lab it was mainly the preamp EQ and the microphonic pickups in the Fender Elite. Mix that with a chorus with a ton of early reflections and you get really close using an amp with a mild gain structure. I had a pretty good preset when I had the AX8 but it didn't translate to the FM. I still need to revisit this and get a good sounding representation.

The Lab is a lot of it. I'd say 90%. The low input on channel 2 is very thick and rich, and sustains for days. I had an elite for a little while, and that and the lab plus the midiverb nailed the tone. I have 2 L5's currently, one is a 2x12 converted to a head, and an all original 2x12. It would be great to have in the Axe. The Lab also if you roll off the volume it goes clean, roll it up and it rages. Pleiades off Gretchen displays this the best IMHO.

Was his preamp eq just a boost? Or was there something different about the eq. I’m surprised we don’t see more guitars with onboard preamp boosts. I’ve been researching the Luke IIIs that have it and it seems so useful
the elite strat had a midrange boost built in it, closest thing today would be the Clapton mid boost circuit. And the elite pickups were odd ducks, very microphonic.

Fan here too. I came upon them in not a usual way of finding a band. It was in the 90’s sometime and I was looking at a guitar brand (Zion) that Kerry Livgren of Kansas endorsed. While looking at the different models I really liked a model that this guy Ty Tabor was an endorsee and checked out who he was and always like a power trio and Doug’s whole deal was just too cool. Started listening and really liked it. I did sort of remember seeing them on a late night MTV show in the 80’s. I only saw them once when they were opening for Dream Theater a good many years ago. I should try and catch them now. I’ve watched a good many recent YT vids.

Kings X and Ty's projects(Jellyjam, etc), when they do come through New England, usually play Tupelo Music Hall in Derry NH.
I've seen both there in the past.

Ok, I tried to revisit my old preset and this is what I came up with, same guitar same pickups vastly different firmware! I had to reinvent it basically so do be too harsh ;) Give it a shot and let me know if it's in the ballpark! My ears are a little fatigued at this point and small changes are starting to all sound the same.

Attachments

• Kings X.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Ok, I tried to revisit my old preset and this is what I came up with, same guitar same pickups vastly different firmware! I had to reinvent it basically so do be too harsh ;) Give it a shot and let me know if it's in the ballpark! My ears are a little fatigued at this point and small changes are starting to all sound the same.
Not at my unit right now but I'm excited to give this a try. I appreciate the effort = thank you!

Big King’s X fan as well! I don’t love all their songs, but the songs I do love, I love a LOT.

I didn’t get to see them until 2011 at NAMM, they played in the Mackie room and maybe 35-50 people were in there watching them play. When Dug first hit that bass my knees almost buckled! Such a great live band, those harmonies, man!!! And Gaskil hits those cymbals like they smacked his mom! So laid back and then WHAM!

Later that night I got hammered with Dug at the Dean NAMM Jam. He walked up while I was in line to get some drinks, my ex was with me and I was like “Babe!!!! You know that CD I gave you a month ago, Dogman? That’s him!” He ended up standing next to us for the whole show while we put down Long Islands and screamed at all the bands playing. He saw me at the Hilton the next night from across the room, nodded with a smile and pointed at his throat with a questioning look on his face, essentially asking me if I could even talk after the previous night. :tearsofjoy: Great, great dude!

448FFECE-1F93-488E-9470-087D1DBF8369.jpeg
FA7D6EC2-0FB4-4B8E-B70C-03B6F15BAB5B.jpeg

That 2nd pic is right after I told him how old I was when Dogman came out, I was like 9. :tearsofjoy:

Big King’s X fan as well! I don’t love all their songs, but the songs I do love, I love a LOT.

I didn’t get to see them until 2011 at NAMM, they played in the Mackie room and maybe 35-50 people were in there watching them play. When Dug first hit that bass my knees almost buckled! Such a great live band, those harmonies, man!!! And Gaskil hits those cymbals like they smacked his mom! So laid back and then WHAM!

Later that night I got hammered with Dug at the Dean NAMM Jam. He walked up while I was in line to get some drinks, my ex was with me and I was like “Babe!!!! You know that CD I gave you a month ago, Dogman? That’s him!” He ended up standing next to us for the whole show while we put down Long Islands and screamed at all the bands playing. He saw me at the Hilton the next night from across the room, nodded with a smile and pointed at his throat with a questioning look on his face, essentially asking me if I could even talk after the previous night. :tearsofjoy: Great, great dude!

View attachment 117446
View attachment 117447

That 2nd pic is right after I told him how old I was when Dogman came out, I was like 9. :tearsofjoy:
Ya, his bass sound is amazing - especially live. I saw them at a club in Myrtle Beach a million years ago and that remains the best bass sound I've ever heard in my life.

Ya, his bass sound is amazing - especially live. I saw them at a club in Myrtle Beach a million years ago and that remains the best bass sound I've ever heard in my life.

Was that back when he was still using the Hamer 12 string bass?

Apologies for those sick of seeing this, but it’s at least pertinent to this thread-

If you search my username on AxeEdit, I upload the preset for it, but it’s using 3rd party IR’s, which I believe I listed (if not, I can find them in my AxeFX tonight, that’s my “DO NOT TWEAK” bass preset :D ) Also, the bass has a LOT to do with the tone. Like, a lot.

Back
Top Bottom