Damn.... anybody else do this?

Rock Chalk

Fractal Fanatic
I'll be jamming on my fave preset (JP2C right now), and tweaking things, and several times I will save to a new preset number so I can switch back and forth later to see if it's better.

The problem is, me being too lazy to interrupt my world class noodling, and name it something different at the time, when all the sudden I have thirteen presets in a row with the same name.....lol.... and by that time, I have no clue really what I changed! :mad: ;)

BTW in AE you can pull the data of a preset and compare the data in excel to get out how two presets are different.
But using excel is not that convenient to me and I wonder if there is a better solution to do this.

Smart thing would be to add a serial to your presets. As like with every Axe FX firmware update. V1, V1.1, or even V2 if you think you've radically changed the preset. Smarter thing even would be to think out a system beforehand.

But hey, we're humans. When do we ever do the smart thing? :D

I have a friend who owns an Ax8 that was having trouble making nice sounding tones for recording. He was dialing them in at low volumes and had way too much gain and treble which just made all of his recordings a fizzy mess. He asked me to help make some new sounds. I spent about 30 minutes to make 2 patches. He says they sound great, but then later on after I left he texts me and says hammer ons and pull offs are harder with this tone and asks if he should turn the gain up. NO!! I said. If you're going to make changes then just save it into a new slot so you don't lose the work that I did. He didn't listen and just cranked the gain. Now they sound just like the fizzy mess he had before. Some people just can't help themselves with the gain knob.

So yeah, maybe it's an annoying habit but it's a smart habit. Don't save over your old tones.

I guess this would be one of those instances (when tweaking), where the best solution would be to play a riff into the looper and tweak away, leaving your hands free to name that preset! Might have to try that.:)

You’re creating a good blind audio test! When you go back and listen and they’re all called the same thing... no bias. You’re bound to pick the one that actually sounds better.

You just didn’t know you were so clever.

Back
Top Bottom