Cygnus X-3 For FM3?

FM3 is a floor model, gapless is objectively more useful for the product's intended use.
For some, but for others like myself it's not an issue as my kitchen sink preset switches everything I need seamlessly with pristine tails as it is. This is my main preset, which runs at about 68% CPU on average on a non-turbo FM3 with a UA OX Stomp in the FX Loop (cab, mics, room mics, and reverb). Morphing gain changes are done via Scene Controllers, volume levels, tempo, and scene selection are controlled via MIDI and Footswitch, plus it controls Ableton LIVE's Looper Plugin and Session Loop via MIDI as well. The little FM3 can do a lot, and even more with the turbo model.

For some, but for others like myself it's not an issue as my kitchen sink preset switches everything I need seamlessly with pristine tails as it is. This is my main preset, which runs at about 68% CPU on average on a non-turbo FM3 with a UA OX Stomp in the FX Loop (cab, mics, room mics, and reverb). Morphing gain changes are done via Scene Controllers, volume levels, tempo, and scene selection are controlled via MIDI and Footswitch, plus it controls Ableton LIVE's Looper Plugin and Session Loop via MIDI as well. The little FM3 can do a lot, and even more with the turbo model.

Using OX Stomp with FM3 is a complete edge case, I'd guess a fraction of a percent.

A bad counter argument to gapless being more important than new amp modes.

Using OX Stomp with FM3 is a complete edge case, I'd guess a fraction of a percent.

A bad counter argument to gapless being more important than new amp modes.
Extending the FM3's abilities with hardware is a popular tactic to ease it's CPU usage, though at 68% CPU on average I could use the Cab Block without it's Room Sim, however I like the OX Stomp (The OX's reverb, EQ, and compression are not currently being used, just it's cab/mics/room sims).

Not arguing against gapless switching which of course would be an important update for many, though if it's proving hard to fit within the available CPU limits I'd prefer the Amp Block's updates first, without mentioning the fact that I don't find it necessary when careful programing techniques can already provide essentially gapless Scene switching with pristine tails (the preset is mono for live use, and the only block switching channels is the Pitch Block, everything else is done via Scene Controllers/Control Switches/Modifiers, and/or MIDI).

Last edited:

How do you change tempo via midi? Just couldn’t find a way to do it.

As for the fm3 updates for my personal case, I bought it for work as I make a living playing guitar on stage :

I knew before buying the unit ( like 2 years ago) that there was gap, no problem I found a solution, it’s painful to program but ok I knew it. If it don’t come on the fm3, it’s frustrating but I can deal with it.

I also knew that the fm3 was not a as powerful as the others unit when it comes to effects. Don’t care, I’m not an effect freak and to be honest the few i use ( comp, pitch, wha, drive, chorus, delay, reverb) are absolutely awesome.

But what I knew and what was claimed by the company was the the core tones was the same on the units (minus some options).

As much as I love the amp tones I can get with the fm3, as I said on other of my posts, I’m not a fanboy and there’s a lot of improvements possible to come closer to a real amp and that’s what I was told from the start « all the units have the same modeling algorithms.

So to resume, I can understand that there is cpu limitations for fancy verbs, gapless thing and things like that but I really hope that the amp algorithms will be ported to the fm3. That’s just really all I want.

But I have faith and can’t imagine fractal breaking the « same tone in all units » and having a product left behind.

I keep my fingers crossed even tough it’s kinda of already too late for me this year.
My presets have to be ready mid April and there’s no way I will update and re tweak everything in July lol. That’s just not possible on tour.

And i disgress but I’m fed up of the « come on just buy a axe III if you want updates ».

Man, in France an fm3 is already 1590€, (1733$
), fm9 2400€ (2616$) , and an axe 3 2920€, add a simple 599€ and you need 3500€ just to get updates??
That’s something like 3850 dollars lol.

How do you change tempo via midi? Just couldn’t find a way to do it.

As for the fm3 updates for my personal case, I bought it for work as I make a living playing guitar on stage :

I knew before buying the unit ( like 2 years ago) that there was gap, no problem I found a solution, it’s painful to program but ok I knew it. If it don’t come on the fm3, it’s frustrating but I can deal with it.

I also knew that the fm3 was not a as powerful as the others unit when it comes to effects. Don’t care, I’m not an effect freak and to be honest the few i use ( comp, pitch, wha, drive, chorus, delay, reverb) are absolutely awesome.

But what I knew and what was claimed by the company was the the core tones was the same on the units (minus some options).

As much as I love the amp tones I can get with the fm3, as I said on other of my posts, I’m not a fanboy and there’s a lot of improvements possible to come closer to a real amp and that’s what I was told from the start « all the units have the same modeling algorithms.

So to resume, I can understand that there is cpu limitations for fancy verbs, gapless thing and things like that but I really hope that the amp algorithms will be ported to the fm3. That’s just really all I want.

But I have faith and can’t imagine fractal breaking the « same tone in all units » and having a product left behind.

I keep my fingers crossed even tough it’s kinda of already too late for me this year.
My presets have to be ready mid April and there’s no way I will update and re tweak everything in July lol. That’s just not possible on tour.

And i disgress but I’m fed up of the « come on just buy a axe III if you want updates ».

Man, in France an fm3 is already 1590€, (1733$
), fm9 2400€ (2616$) , and an axe 3 2920€, add a simple 599€ and you need 3500€ just to get updates??
That’s something like 3850 dollars lol.
Ableton LIVE runs our show (click, cue, guitar/bass FX automation, additional vocal FX, live looping, DMX and teleprompter), so I just send the FM3 a bar of 1/4 or 1/8 notes via MIDI CC's (depending on meter), and the FM3 averages them to set tempo. This method has no problems following tempo and meter changes through out an arrangement, just send a bar of tempo MIDI CC's where ever they're needed.

You can also use MIDI Beat Clock, but that seems to require a bit more CPU overhead IME, so I went with the 1/4 - 1/8 MIDI CC note method. If you need to ramp tempos up/down (accelerando/ritardando) , then MIDI Beat Clock would likely be your best bet.

The simple solution for those bumping up against the CPU limits of the FM3, is to extend it with additional hardware (or of course upgrade to a FM9 or AFX3, though I prefer the smaller footprint).

Last edited:
I'd settle for being able to change page views via midi (or stand in switches via midi). Oh, and power via the USB socket.

I'd settle for being able to change page views via midi (or stand in switches via midi). Oh, and power via the USB socket.
There is 1A of 12V power available via the FASLink if it's not in use with FC's.

I power my UA OX Stomp via the FASLink connector with a 12V to 9V buck converter, and a 9V isolation transformer.

Search the forum for details.

I too would love USB A power for wireless and charging etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom