Cygnus Is Not Like Other Firmwares

....especially when you figure it out and know it better some of your own family lol.
Lol, see that's the thing. I had been an ADA MP-1 player since waaayy back in 93 ($500 brand new, woooh!), but had always lusted for a TriAxis, but couldn't make myself take the $1800 plunge. But last year I found a deal on one, with the 2:90, and grabbed it. But soon thereafter, I bought the Axe, and have since been only playing through it. It's so hard for me, once I've picked up my guitar and plugged in, to go back to reading manuals, and figuring out how to set up gear to make it do what I want!! Lol.

Well I know who I'm gonna reach out to for advice...

I love Fractal and the Axe, been here over a decade, through three generations of units, but; brutal truth: this kind of talk gets thrown around here with any major firmware update. It has been like this since the Axe 1.
Amen. I've lived through it with the Axe-Fx 2 from Quantum to Ares and it's always been basically "yeah, it does sound better in some subtle way I can't quite put into words" rather than the "a choir of angels descended from the heavens when I loaded the Cygnus firmware" level hyperbole that gets thrown around sometimes.

I respect the effort that goes into all this stuff but the thing is that the Axe-Fx gear has sounded great for over a decade. Your current firmware sounds just great. The next one will sound a bit better. The biggest improvement you can make is learning to play better and learning to make the most of your Fractal gear by learning how to use it better.

It's a sea change. The typical advice for FW updates is to re-set the amp block, and that does make a very noticeable difference with Cygnus.

But I've had the best results from re-building my presets from scratch. A lot of work, yes. And very worth it.

YMMV of course.
I didn't like this firmware much until I rebuilt everything from the ground up and it happened by chance. I went back to firmware 15 first and then back again to 16 and then for some reason I lost my first two presets (user error probably) and I had to rebuild them from scratch. I then realized that was the difference. Not sure if that makes sense but that's my story.

Amen. I've lived through it with the Axe-Fx 2 from Quantum to Ares and it's always been basically "yeah, it does sound better in some subtle way I can't quite put into words" rather than the "a choir of angels descended from the heavens when I loaded the Cygnus firmware" level hyperbole that gets thrown around sometimes.

I respect the effort that goes into all this stuff but the thing is that the Axe-Fx gear has sounded great for over a decade. Your current firmware sounds just great. The next one will sound a bit better. The biggest improvement you can make is learning to play better and learning to make the most of your Fractal gear by learning how to use it better.
I don't know man, so far everyone has said it is noticeably better. Including people who claim not to hear a difference and people who don't usually chime in. Whether it's hyperbole or not is your opinion but so far the customer feedback has been indicating that it is noticeably better. It has even prompted Cliff to check ALL the amps again by hand personally. Sounds pretty ground breaking to me.

Yes it sounded great to begin with, and yes, playing will always yield better results, but replacing a 200hp engine with a 1000hp engine doesn't seem like just hyperbole to me, YMMV.

I don't know man, so far everyone has said it is noticeably better. Including people who claim not to hear a difference and people who don't usually chime in. Whether it's hyperbole or not is your opinion but so far the customer feedback has been indicating that it is noticeably better. It has even prompted Cliff to check ALL the amps again by hand personally. Sounds pretty ground breaking to me.

Yes it sounded great to begin with, and yes, playing will always yield better results, but replacing a 200hp engine with a 1000hp engine doesn't seem like just hyperbole to me, YMMV.
I have no doubts it will sound better, just not to the hype levels. It's the exact same conversation as we have seen years before with Axe-Fx 2 Quantum vs Ares. Remember that the hype is pretty much made by end users rather than Cliff.

I have no doubts it will sound better, just not to the hype levels. It's the exact same conversation as we have seen years before with Axe-Fx 2 Quantum vs Ares. Remember that the hype is pretty much made by end users rather than Cliff.
I see you have not tried it yet.....

I see you have not tried it yet.....
Well I only have a FM3 so waiting for that update to get released.

Every time this kind of modeling improvement gets released there's people going "you need to try it, clips don't tell the whole story" etc and then I do try it and just don't hear this mind blowing new improvement. The end result is always "yeah, that's a little bit better, nice."

Last edited:
Well I only have a FM3 so waiting for that update to get released.

Every time this kind of modeling improvement gets released there's people going "you need to try it, clips don't tell the whole story" etc and then I do try it and just don't hear this mind blowing new improvement. The end result is always "yeah, that's a little bit better, nice."
Well yes, there's diminishing returns on something this high of a standard as the axe fx has set, but there are certainly a few head turners which DO make you go 'Whoa, this IS MUCH BETTER!!', and the Cygnus update is one. I'd say reserve your judgment till you've actually played it, because it really is something different, hence all the gushing by everyone.

Back
Top Bottom