Cygnus and DSP limits

WbbS

Experienced
I’ll get an FM3 soon, I came from a Kemper and I use pretty simple rigs, so I don’t worry about the “DSP limits”.

...but

Cygnus will be an improvement or will introduce further limitations or it won’t change the FM3?

I mean, sometimes firmwares, operating systems, softwares require more memory/power when they get updated. There is no risk that the new firmware will introduce further limitations? Or it will improve the performance?

Just curious, I can’t wait to get mine.

I’ll get an FM3 soon, I came from a Kemper and I use pretty simple rigs, so I don’t worry about the “DSP limits”.

...but

Cygnus will be an improvement or will introduce further limitations or it won’t change the FM3?

I mean, sometimes firmwares, operating systems, softwares require more memory/power when they get updated. There is no risk that the new firmware will introduce further limitations? Or it will improve the performance?

Just curious, I can’t wait to get mine.
Cygnus will fit into the FM3 without problems otherwise they wouldn't have told us they were porting it. Other companies aren't as careful.

Fractal engineered the FM3 with some reserve horsepower. They analyze the block usage and flash a warning if the CPU is approaching its limit, and they silence the preset if it exceeds the limit rather than allow the unit to create a lousy sounding patch. They can adjust that threshold as need-be as it's under software's control. And, if you look at the blocks available, you can tell they'd rather limit our block selection and ensure that the unit sounds good, rather than provide all the blocks on the AF3 and let us, as users, be frustrated because we can't have dual amp/cab and four delays, etc. without it crapping out on us. Fractal also lets us decide what resolution or quality of sound we want in some blocks, such as reverb. The highest quality uses significantly more CPU than the lowest but even the lowest is very good and works wonderfully in a mix, especially when in a live band setting, so we can adjust things to stay below that warning threshold.

I've been testing Cygnus on my AF3 since it came out in the open beta, and it's a remarkable improvement in the amp block sound, to the point where I'd swear the original amp was creating the sound, not a digital modeler. The Ares firmware currently in the FM3 is state of the art, and when compared to other modelers I think it's the best out there. When Cygnus hits it's only going to open Fractal's lead over the others.

Last edited:
Since the amp block doesn't show up the CPU, I'm assuming there's plenty of room for modeling upgrades.

The amp modeling is not a large consumer. The delays and reverbs are the main culprits. I have a main template which has most of the effects that I may use. On the FM3 I need to remove 1 (detune) or 2 (phaser) in order to use a Reverb block. I can make it work with the Plex-Delay but like the Reverb block. Unfortunately I became spoiled with the Axe 3 and set everything up based on that when it came out. I am maxed out with my setting and cannot utilize the Ultra-Res cabinets without spiking and muting, but again I have the following overloaded template so more specific arrangements will work fine.

Input>Wah>Flanger>Vibe>Rotary>Amp (A, B, C, D)>Cab>Chorus (Ch a and D)>Multi-Delay>Delay (Ch A and D)>Reverb (Ch A and D)>Looper>Output.

That's a lot and way more than I would need, but that gives you an idea of how much the FM3 can actually handle.

Back
Top Bottom